"SpongeBob Squarepants" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
SpongeBob.jpg

Broken Alarm/Senior Discount
Airs July 5, 2019 at 11 A.M. on Nickelodeon.
SpongeBob breaks his precious alarm clock, but nothing else is loud enough to wake him up on time; Old Man Jenkins disrupts business as usual at the Krusty Krab, but Mr. Krabs can't find a way to kick him out.​

kanc

When Nicktoons aired Spongebob marathon, it seemed some of the episodes were remastered in HD.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
Nick has announced the SpongeBob SquarePants: The Best 200 Episodes Ever! DVD box set.

The set will release on July 15 exclusively on Amazon during Prime Day, followed by a general release on August 27.

The set is essentially SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes and SpongeBob SquarePants: The Next 100 Episodes, however, comes with the poster Nick made for SDCC which features over 760 characters which has featured in the show since it begun.

kanc

You know the "Every SpongeBob Episode" marathon that Nicktoons Network was doing in the leadup to the 20th anniversary special? They stopped the marathon at 6:00 am. The reason is currently unknown.

It's been guessed that airing on Nicktoons had done TOO well. They should've stayed with every episode marathon on main Nick, not Nicktoons, because not everyone has Nicktoons cable

VG_Addict

Nickelodeon can't even air a marathon of Spongebob, their cash cow, without botching it.
No wonder this channel is in the shape it's in.

ToonsJazzLover

I like this double standard. People complain whenever Nick overairs this show, but when Nicktoons cancels Every SpongeBob Ever marathon, everyone treats it like a crime making another excuse to bash on Nick for no reason.

Told you 2019 was the year where we can’t even say anything positive about SpongeBob in peace. Half of Nick’s worst decisions they done this year has SpongeBob involved in some way. Maybe this is why I want to focus on other Nicktoons now, because the more bad news I hear regarding SB the more it’s bumming me out.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
SpongeBob.jpg

SpongeBob’s Big Birthday Blowout
Airs July 12, 2019 at 7 P.M. on Nickelodeon.
Patrick and SpongeBob journey to the surface world, where they come across a few familiar characters during lunchtime rush at The Trusty Slab restaurant; the Bikini Bottom residents set up a surprise party for SpongeBob.​

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I like this double standard. People complain whenever Nick overairs this show, but when Nicktoons cancels Every SpongeBob Ever marathon, everyone treats it like a crime making another excuse to bash on Nick for no reason.
My thoughts exactly. Vailskibum even called it "false advertising," which honestly annoyed me because I don't think that was Nick's intention.

I get that it's disappointing, but maybe Nick had a good reason for cutting the marathon short. Maybe there was some kind of studio emergency or it was a total accident. Until we know for sure what caused this, I'm holding back on ranting and raving.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
A bit of a spoiler about SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout, although its unrelated to the plot:

At the end of the special just before the credits, the screen goes black and displays a message saying "Thank you Stephen Hillenburg"

Nick Mick

Now forget and be content ♥
I'm really excited to see the premiere of the birthday episode in Greece tomorrow!! Tell me, was it any good (or at least better than the previous TV movies)?

Last edited:

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I officially am speechless.

That was, by far, the BEST SpongeBob special that has ever been produced. No question. Everything just worked. The writing flowed and was logical and actually FUNNY at times! It was about as close to “old SpongeBob” as recent episodes have gotten. There were some great references and I loved how they brought back a handful of minor characters (Hoopla Guy, Ice Cream Eel, Zeus the Guitar Lord, etc.) to make cameo appearances (I was especially shocked to see Mindy back. My childhood-self was screaming on the inside).

And where even to begin with the live action? It was BRILLIANT! All of the ideas were fun and zany and incredibly entertaining to watch (except maybe the beans thing. That was a little weird). I feared that the live-action stuff might feel like a knock-off of Sponge Out of Water, but it really didn’t. The characters got to experience new things and go to a lot of interesting places not seen in the movie. Obviously, my favorite scene was the Trusty Slab one. It was so SURREAL seeing the voice actors play real-life characters while still using their cartoon voices. But everyone was just perfect and really hammed it up. You can tell that these guys have a blast playing their characters. I also loved how some other voice actors from the series also showed up in live action (I know Lori Alan was in it, and I think I maybe saw Jill Talley). The live action itself made for a really cool aspect of the episode. Really, the special was like 40% live action. And they shot it so well! They paid attention to continuity and made sure that the backgrounds were consistent with what was happening in the scene (yes, I watched out for this). Another thing I noticed was just how crisp and clear the camera quality was. During the marathon today, I caught the beginning of "Atlantis Squarepantis" where Patchy is stuck in traffic. You could clearly tell that the episode was outdated due to the graininess of the picture. That was in 2007, and it amazes me that in just twelve short years, our cameras have advanced in quality exponentially. Of course, here you’re shooting on location as opposed to in a studio with a green screen, but still, pretty awesome. I would love a whole behind-the-scenes DOCUMENTARY on how they made this episode. I’m sincerely curious how some of the special effects were done.

The ending was also sweet and great. Patchy finally gets to “officially” meet SpongeBob. I find it funny that in the other anniversary special, "Truth or Square," SpongeBob and Patchy also met, but it was through a hallucination. But here, it’s canon! I was disappointed to see that there was no special theme song at the beginning, but when I saw that they wrote one to conclude the episode, all that sorrow faded away. The celebrity birthday wishes were fun; Gilbert Gottfried was my favorite! I didn’t care for JoJo Siwa yelling at the ocean. Then, of course, they included something to honor Stephen Hillenburg. I was tearing up at this point. Do I wish it would have been a bit longer? Yes, but then again, maybe keeping it simple makes it more powerful.

Wow. I can’t believe SpongeBob has been on for twenty years. I couldn’t believe when it hit the ten-year mark, either. In 2009, I was an excited kid who couldn’t wait to tune into Truth or Square for its live premiere. I was obsessed with SpongeBob, and I knew this was going to be the biggest episode ever! Looking back now, it was an immensely stupid special, but as a kid, I loved it! I know I mentioned this in another post last year, but I was especially impacted by the ending, where the British Narrator tells the audience to come back for the twentieth anniversary. To a kid, ten years seems like forever away, but now, it’s here! Part of me is glad it is, and the other part is saddened by it. Growing up isn’t easy, but at least I had (and still have) SpongeBob to tag along for the ride.

Happy 20th, SpongeBob. You’ll always be in my heart.

Also, is that anthropomorphic dog gonna give anyone else nightmares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts