"SpongeBob Squarepants" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'm surprised no one made this. There have been threads for Legend of Korra, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Fairly OddParents. etc. I figured a SpongeBob thread would be obvious. Anyway, post anything you like: favorite episodes, least favorite episodes, news about the show, etc. Just choose your words wisely.

ToonsJazzLover

It's still my favorite cartoon even though I focused a lot on Simpsons lately but now I'm focusing on this so I can watch seasons 7-9 again and then I can watch the second movie. My favorite pre movie episodes are Sailor Mouth, Big Pink Loser, Chocolate with Nuts because they're classic and hilarious. My favorite post movie episodes are Krusty Towers, Roller Cowards, Mooncation, and Plankton. The former two had the same usual amount of humorous moments the best pre-movie episodes had. My least favorite episodes are The Splinter, Squid's Visit, and Pet or Pests all from season 6. The first and last are gross for my liking. Squid's Visit had one of the worst moments SpongeBob himself ever had. It's a tough to pick my favorite season but my least favorite season was 7 because the ratio of classic/weak/bad episodes is all over the place. I can't wait for the second half of season 9 because I desperately need new episodes (Yeti Krabs was a disappointment).

kanc

I used to watch SpongeBob when it first debuted in 1999 when I was a kid, and I still continue to watch those as well, but not as often as much since the schedule has more SpongeBob. Speaking of which SpongeBob has still been very popular in 2007 to mostly today. The only thing I can't figure out, do most adults watch SpongeBob than kids, or kids watch SpongeBob more than adults?

The last time SpongeBob topped in demos K2-11 was Mar 16-22, 2015; #3 SpongeBob Runaway Roadtrip Sat Mar 21 10:30AM - 1.389; K6-11 #8 SpongeBob 10AM Sat Mar 21 - 0.781. Since after the KCA's SpongeBob has never topped in any kids demos I believe. Though new episodes of live action for Nickelodeon topped in demos K2-11 and K6-11, unsure about T9-14 since cynopsis doesn't post those anymore. New preschool episodes of Paw Patrol and Blaze had topped in K2-11 more viewers than Sat's live action.

DHB8008

SpongeBob is still one of my favorite cartoons, in fact I'm watching Squidville right now!

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
https://twitter.com/paultibbitt/status/533168855959339008

NickALive!: Nickelodeon USA To Premiere Brand-New "SpongeBob SquarePants" Episodes During Summer 2015

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tv/spongebob-creator-stephen-hillenburg-returning-to-his-show-106935.html

I looked at Paul Tibbitt's Twitter. There's a season 9 episode called "Company Picnic" written by Doug Lawrence and Adventure Time writer Jack Pendarvis. Also, there will be new episodes this summer. I have a good feeling about this, especially since Stephen Hillenburg is back on the show.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
SpongeBob and Karen's interactions are pretty interesting. Outside of Plankton trying to steal the formula, they seem pretty nice toward each other. Though that might be due to the fact that their respective voice actors, Tom Kenny and Jill Talley, are married in real life.

kanc

I'm surprised not one single person is mentioning the episode talkback for "Patrick! The Game"/"Sewers of Bikini Bottom". This was already aired last Wednesday 7PM as Spot It themed and it will air again tonight 7:30PM. I haven't watched it yet last Wednesday due to my busy work, but will soon tonight. What do you guys think of that episode?

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
"Patrick - the Game" is a good example of an episode that succeeds mainly due to the technicals. The actual setup really isn't very intriguing, and Squidward's role feels tacked on just for the sake of providing conflict, but the sections where we see the actual gameplay are pretty fun in just how incoherent yet strangely interesting it clearly is. It leads to some good dialogue, and plenty of nice, innocent fun. But I really want to talk about the visuals. This episode is just chock full of strong, confident expressions, most of which are among the best we've gotten from this show in a long, long time. And even the rest of the animation feels a few notches above even this half-season's usual standards. Again, I can easily see Squidward's subplot bog things down for some, but for me there's enough enjoyable stuff for me to consider this good.

"Sewers of Bikini Bottom" is mostly significant in how it marks the return of Kaz to the series. Bits of the episode's dialogue feel very in-line with the tone of the older seasons, particularly with Spongebob's lines, though you can definitely tell Kaz is a bit out of practice. The story doesn't have very much focus, and many of the actions feel pretty contrived, like how the stadium's design with cardboard pipes somehow got past regulations and why Squidward had as much fun as he did flushing everything. Also, much like some of the older episodes, the episode just kind of stops with not much closure apart from the framing device, which feels odd here after seeing so many episodes end on a more full joke. However, there is some good animation and atmosphere to enjoy, along with a few decent gags here and there. Not bad, but kind of underwhelming.

Looney Turtles

Both of these episodes were pretty good. I liked "Patrick - the Game" more between the two. When Patrick created his own board game, you just knew he would mess up on something, which turned out to be the rules, where he just kept creating new ones. I liked that whenever someone told Squidward he was doing good at the game, he was flattered.

chipmunksfan

I`ve been missing the recent new episodes but I don`t think SpongeBob`s deteriorated much. Maybe those who don`t like the recent seasons have just tired of it. From the promos I`ve seen on Nick it looks chock-full of funny moments.

ToonsJazzLover

I enjoyed the new 10 episodes that had aired in the past 4 months. Though the weakest was Lost in Bikini Bottom because SpongeBob acted like his season 5 self, it made up for the improved animation. There are still problems in this new era though. One, the pacing is really off. The writers (Jack Pendarvis/Kyle McCulloch) don't seem to know where have the main plot start (ex: the main plot of The Executive Treatment doesn't start until it become about the business world) and Patrick! The Game kinda show it until Patrick introduced us the titular game. Thankfully Kaz did a great job not making it a slow start in TSOBB. Two, the music editing needs to be a little better. I mean, House of Horror had been used quite a bit, as well as having Up She Rises (Sam Spence's version of the Drunken Sailor), Fates, and a couple others played twice so far in this era, but they need to reduce the original tracks. I also think Nick Carr (music editor) has to stop playing the same music over and over again in the title card sequences. But other than those problems, I had been enjoying the post-sequel era.

The main thing that got me enjoying the post-sequel slightly more than seasons 8 and 9.1 is the improved art and animation. While the outlines are not like it was in season 4 (they were very thick, where here it is much thinner), some of the faces felt a mixed of that season and season 1 at times due to its constant off-modelness. If you're wondering why there's a lot of those lately, I don't think it has nothing to do with Sherm Cohen returning as Storyboard Supervisor. Most of those goofy faces are from a new artist named Adam Paloian. These are his drawings posted from his Tumblr. He's the new CH Greenblatt when it comes to these type of drawings. You can thank him for those facial expressions especially Squidward's in PTG, the whole episode of Company Picnic, and Norton getting upset in SPO that Squidward didn't chose him.
http://adampaloian.tumblr.com/tagged/spongebob-squarepants

I'm the only one that think the animation/art (both of them together) is a mix of Ren and Stimpy and Steven Universe. Because if you think about it, Rough Draft Studios is their overseas animation studios for all shows (but SBSP is the only one that uses them every episode; Ren and Stimpy had a few other animation studios and SU had another overseas studios). SpongeBob's new episodes are as crazy as Ren and Stimpy was in general. Of course, so does the off-model facial expressions, but they reminds me more of Steven Universe for some reason and even people are entertained by that.

My favorite episode so far...yeah there's only 10 episodes of this era and my opinions tend to change when rewatching an episode, so I'll write mine later. I'm hoping the show can add a little more variety in location/character though, so don't let me down.

On another note, Vincent Waller said that he and Marc Ceccarelli are the new showrunners. Very cool since Marc was a good writer (even if made infamous episodes like AYHN, Demolition Doofus, LYB, and SB, You're Fired!) and I'm glad to have him again.

Lord Hater

Retired
How do you all think SpongeBob SquarePants would have done if it were on Disney Channel or CN? I think it would end after four seasons and people forget that it exists.

Mr. Daniel

Back (but just occasionally)
How do you all think SpongeBob SquarePants would have done if it were on Disney Channel or CN?

For Disney Channel, it would be still going on but modern Spongebob would be a little bit better. As for CN, They have their own Spongebob: Adventure Time.

jaylop97

Staff member
How do you all think SpongeBob SquarePants would have done if it were on Disney Channel or CN? I think it would end after four seasons and people forget that it exists.
Not sure but I guess it would have been like Doug in my opinion.

ToonJay723

Staff member
If they premiered in 1999? On Disney's One Saturday Morning (because DC didn't have original cartoons until 2001) it would have ran for 3 seasons and 39 episodes, and on CN, it would run for 6 seasons and 78 episodes, and maybe CN would have rebooted it years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts