"SpongeBob Squarepants" Series Talkback (Spoilers) NEW SPECIAL "Birthday Blowout" - 7/12/19

Latest News & Videos

RandomMe

Bloo
Dec 30, 2012
Braga, Portugal
internalymbelydredd.tumblr.com
I watched the special about an hour ago, it was so aesthetically pleasing. It was like a classic special, accentuated by Patchy's first appearance in years IIRC. I also liked the mix of animation and live-action.

Oh and here's a little bit of trivia: in the European Portuguese dub of it, they didn't dub the actors congratulating him. Pleu they even showed some from Double Dare, yet many countries won't get it.

Nick Mick

I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready!
Jan 2, 2018
Attiki, Greece
One of the best specials of the series!!! Absolutely loved it!!!! Happy birthday, SpongeBob!!!!

PS.: Did anyone get the Dr. Lorre (Looney Tunes) reference on the second half of the special?

I loved the special! It had some really funny moments, I loved the way they experimented with the mix of live-action and animation (a first for the series), the references were top-notch -- I especially love the ones to episodes I Had An Accident (not until 4:00/the Gorilla masks) and Sailor Mouth -- and a lot of characters, including Mindy, Tattletale Strangler, Zeus the Guitar Lord and the Hoopla fish, appear once more!!! My favorite scenes are the one in which SpongeBob saves all the fish from the aquarium shop, and the other one in which Patchy finally meets SpongeBob!!!!

Radical Buster

Well-Known Hack Fraud
Feb 3, 2018
under your bed
Saw the special this morning. I'm still not sold on the show's current humor, but it was still a very joyous and eventful celebration of the show's 20-year run filled with so many callbacks to previous episodes and movies that were enough to make me shriek a little. To say the least, this special is good enough to wipe the soulless, gimmicky, insultingly bad abomination that is Truth or Square from my memory.

Happy birthday, SpongeRobert!

SG-17

May 12, 2018
Pennsylvania
I haven't watched any other new episodes since maybe 2007, is my TV broken or did they change SpongeBob's color? He seems almost like a sickly neon yellow with maybe a splash of green.

SuperSuck64

Lazy Aspiring Cartoonist
Mar 2, 2018
Two days late, I know, but I liked the special.

I feel it didn't need to be as long as it did (the entire bean scene could have been cut without affecting the episode too badly), but it was a funny, sweet, meta episode. My favorite parts were all the cameos at the party and the tribute to Hillenburg at the end.

Nick Mick

I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready!
Jan 2, 2018
Attiki, Greece
Two days late, I know, but I liked the special.

I feel it didn't need to be as long as it did (the entire bean scene could have been cut without affecting the episode too badly), but it was a funny, sweet, meta episode. My favorite parts were all the cameos at the party and the tribute to Hillenburg at the end.
True. While I did adore Ken Mitchell as that bean mascot on the stage, the scene in general felt like it dragging on and on. They could had edited some of the scene out, like the pointless celebrity cameos.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

TheJLeeTeam

Beak Freak & Bronikitty
Sep 9, 2018
USA
www.deviantart.com
Okay I was going to skip this, but after hearing about the ratings it got and because I have a soft spot for SpongeBob, I decided to give in and get this over with.

It was pretty much what I expected. It’s an improvement over the other hour long SpongeBob specials but not by much. It’s decent for a SpongeBob special but compared to other cartoon specials I’ve seen this decade it’s very lackluster in quality, plot, humor, and execution. Too much fan service and not enough substance. The live action segments were on par with the live action FOP movies, very faithful to the cartoon but very cheesy. Patchy finally met SpongeBob okay but even that’s not enough to save this special. While it’s not as bad as Truth or Square it’s still forgettable and I wouldn’t watch it again. Finally that Stephen Hillenburg memoriam is as basic as you can get.

Honestly this episode came out 10 years too late. It should’ve been the 10th anniversary special. The only SpongeBob specials I liked this decade were the stop motion holiday episodes. And the only other Nick specials I liked this decade were Steampunks and Hey Arnold Jungle Movie. Even if this episode did come out a decade ago I would’ve still found it to be meh. I found Gumballs finale much more satisfying. I’m very sorry I honestly didn’t like this episode in general. To be fair it was a nice try.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaylop97