Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron Netflix Series

DHB8008

http://www.animationmagazine.net/to...5-original-kids-toons-plus-nick-kroll-series/

Inspired by the Oscar-nominated film Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, Spirit Riding Free follows the heartfelt journey of a wild mustang who could not be tamed. A whole new generation will experience all the daring adventures when Spirit meets a girl named Lucky whose courage matches his own. Together they push limits, harness the power of friendship and discover what it means to be free. With their best friends by their side, they explore a world filled with endless rides, magnificent horses and never-ending fun. Premieres exclusively on Netflix in 2017 in the U.S., Canada, Latin America, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, the Nordics, Benelux and France.

If DW make more shows based on their lesser known movies, I would really like an El Dorado series. Bee Movie and Over the Hedge series would be great as well!

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
This means I will have to get Netflix then!

Can someone please explain the last sentence to me? :sweat: Do they mean it won't be aired on television in those countries or do they mean it won't be on Netflix in Southern Europe and Asia?

Light Lucario

Staff member
This is a really awesome surprise. I loved Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron and seeing it a Netflix series sounds really neat. It will give some more attention to one of their lesser known movies. I probably should get Netflix one of these days to watch the series, along with the new Voltron series and anything else that is exclusive to Netflix.

Troy Troodon

I think I'm more anxious Hilda than all the rest (Save Skylanders) but maybe this will turn out good to.

Dr.Pepper

Well that was really unexpected. Although I liked the movie, I don't think it's enough to get me to subscribe to Netflix again.

Trombone77

Interesting. I haven't watched Spirit all the way through. I'll definitely check it out when it releases. I will say, though, Netflix has ben doing pretty well on acquiring and producing content for children recently. I hope some of their endeavors produce success for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'm kind of curious how they'll be able to make a TV series based on the movie. The ending doesn't really open itself up to a lot of continuation. Granted, that never stopped them with TV series based on movies before, but I wonder how they'll handle it here.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
This is probably the only one of Dreamworks' 2D movies that I never got around to seeing. Very interesting development though. This might get me to finally sit and watch the movie. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this series develops.

Dudley

Staff member
The Road to El Dorado was planned to be a movie series. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas has a lot of potential.
But NOOOO....they went with the boring (yet beautiful) Oscar bait film for a series. That's so unbelievably random!
Ah well, it might be good. Hopefully other DW series from their 2D era will get a series too.

DecaTilde

Beauty is only fur deep.
DreamWorks gave Spirit a G rating, which they hadn't done for a traditionally-animated film before; of course, there's also Joseph, but that's another story.

Frontier

Staff member
Huh! I know Dreamworks made it a priority to make animated spinoffs based off their successful films and franchises, but I didn't expect to see them dig back into their catalogue of older movies to develop a new series :sweat:.

Though I remember watching Spirit as a kid, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more from this series and what it'll look like :).

Now where's my Megamind, Guardians, and Sinbad cartoon Dreamworks :p?

Light Lucario

Staff member
The Road to El Dorado was planned to be a movie series. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas has a lot of potential.
But NOOOO....they went with the boring (yet beautiful) Oscar bait film for a series. That's so unbelievably random!
Ah well, it might be good. Hopefully other DW series from their 2D era will get a series too.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they had more plans for The Road to El Dorado, which would probably why the ending kind of felt like it was open enough for a continuation. I've never seen Sinbad though. I really like Spirit, but I don't know if I'd choose it for a TV series. Between the two movies that I've seen, a TV series for The Road to El Dorado would make much more sense and would possibly lend itself better as a TV series too. I don't mind that they're giving attention to Spirit instead since I really liked it, but I do agree it's kind of random and I'm really not sure where they'll go with as a series. It would be nice if this lead to Dreamworks giving other movies from their 2D era a series.

DreamWorks gave Spirit a G rating, which they hadn't done for a traditionally-animated film before; of course, there's also Joseph, but that's another story.

When I watched the movie in theaters, I remember wondering how the heck this movie got a G rating. It's not violent from what I remember, but the villains did use guns and the whole scene with the train tracks was pretty intense. If it was put in theaters today, it would definitely get a PG rating, so I don't know how it got away with a G rating in 2002.

Dr.Pepper

When I watched the movie in theaters, I remember wondering how the heck this movie got a G rating. It's not violent from what I remember, but the villains did use guns and the whole scene with the train tracks was pretty intense. If it was put in theaters today, it would definitely get a PG rating, so I don't know how it got away with a G rating in 2002.
Especially considering that Ice Age, Lilo and Stitch, and The Wild Thornberrys Movie all earned PG ratings that year.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I actually love this film, I would put it on my top 5 DreamWorks films, ignoring sequels, but I don't see how it can work as a TV show, and it's random, since I think this film did poorly back in 2002.

Yeah, the MPAA doesn't really make any sense, they also gave Cars 2 a G rating even though they had guns, torture scenes, and on screen deaths, yet films like Frozen has zero objectionable content and is rated PG.

Dijei Zasin

Bit of an odd one. I thought we'd see an "Antz" series (called "Bugz") before this.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I remember being so annoyed by this movie as a kid because it wasn't Shrek 2 it was also boring as heck.

Eggy

It's surprising and cool that they are making a show based on one of their obscure films.

Dijei Zasin

Is the movie popular on streaming? That might be why. Or simply, they have a great idea worth exploring. Haha!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts