"Spies in Disguise" (New film from Blue Sky Studios)

Dudley

Staff member
Alright, I’m gonna be THAT guy, and say are we really getting another animated film where the black main character is going to be an animal for most of the film?
(And in case no one is keeping track, the other one is Princess and the Frog).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
The trailer made me chuckle a bit, and I like Will Smith and Tom Holland, but it's not a theatrical film for me yet. I'll have to wait for one more trailer first.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Shouldn't this movie be distributed by someone else? There's only room for two animation studios owned by Disney, and that would be WDAS (the original!) and Pixar.

Rhaynebow

Alright, I’m gonna be THAT guy, and say are we really getting another animated film where the black main character is going to be an animal for most of the film?
(And in case no one is keeping track, the other one is Princess and the Frog).

That’s only one example, I wouldn’t call that a trend to get mad at.

One thing I noticed right away about this trailer is how barren the environment looks. We only saw three people the whole trailer, not including the lady bird. Even the celebrity voice cast is darn near empty. This one is definitely a “need more details” kind of flick because I was SERIOUSLY waiting for the announcer lady to go “Agent J, we need you” thinking Smith was in a black suit for ANOTHER reason....

Dudley

Staff member
Shouldn't this movie be distributed by someone else? There's only room for two animation studios owned by Disney, and that would be WDAS (the original!) and Pixar.

Disney has owned more animation studios than just those two you mentioned, and have distributed other animated movies from studios they don’t even own.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
You know, I honestly thought that this looked cool... until the main character got turned into a pigeon. Like Rhaynebow said, this isn't really a trend (the only other example, The Princess and the Frog, was nine years ago), but that doesn't make this movie any less unappealing. Personally, I'd prefer if the spy stayed human and had to have the nerdy dude tag along.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
You know, I honestly thought that this looked cool... until the main character got turned into a pigeon.
That's Blue Sky for you, they're always making films about talking animals despite the fact that the concept has been done many times before (Hell, they've done a talking bird movie before with Rio and its sequel).

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
Wow...this is surprising. I never thought that this movie would actually come to be; it seemed like a project that would fade away into oblivion. Interesting how it's coming out ten years after the release of mini film it's based off of. I might see it, but I'm honestly not sure.

Rhaynebow

I have to admit though, a bird isn’t the first thing to come to mind with animal films, especially with the human turning into one concept. It’s usually a flightless creature to make it all the more harder for the character to navigate. Avian characters are always tougher to write around because their ability to fly gives them the literal upper hand in standard conflicts. Writers tend to get around this by having their wings get damaged so they HAVE to walk, but that’s so cliche nowadays that I’m kinda hoping this film tries to do something different.

ShadowBeast

I had a feeling that Will Smith would be voicing the Agent. The very design looks like it was Will Smith inspired.
This one is definitely a “need more details” kind of flick because I was SERIOUSLY waiting for the announcer lady to go “Agent J, we need you” thinking Smith was in a black suit for ANOTHER reason....
I was thinking Men In Black with this as well.

I have to admit though, a bird isn’t the first thing to come to mind with animal films, especially with the human turning into one concept. It’s usually a flightless creature to make it all the more harder for the character to navigate. Avian characters are always tougher to write around because their ability to fly gives them the literal upper hand in standard conflicts. Writers tend to get around this by having their wings get damaged so they HAVE to walk, but that’s so cliche nowadays that I’m kinda hoping this film tries to do something different.

Actually it would be easy to write since, while it may look easy, a human-turned-bird wouldn't instantly know how to fly. This would lead to a running gag of the character getting hurt before they finally figure it out.

M622

I had a feeling that Will Smith would be voicing the Agent. The very design looks like it was Will Smith inspired.

I was thinking Men In Black with this as well.

Actually it would be easy to write since, while it may look easy, a human-turned-bird wouldn't instantly know how to fly. This would lead to a running gag of the character getting hurt before they finally figure it out.
and what if it isint just a bird, but a variety of animals? Its still possible.... i would enjoy something like animorphs meets men in black.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
... And that's unfortunately another one going straight into my Bad Idea for something filing cabinet that is my mind. This movie due out soon, of course.

DeanBurrito25

It's not a Blue Sky movie until there's a celebrity talking animal. Yes, I know other studios have done it but they're one of the bigger offenders. I was kind of impressed that the trailer had an all human cast, too, until...well.

Though I admit the big floating eyebrows on the pigeon is really funny.

Ferdinand looked sophisticated, then more trailers revealed that it's just as juvenile as any other of their movies. For their sake, I hope it does well because between that and the last Ice Age movie, I don't know how many more flops in a row the studio can take. And with Disney having already acquired their assets, their future ain't looking so hot.

dumbfoolkid5

Sheeh.....another spy movie. Some animation just refuse to do anything involving advanced sci fi. And those designs... generic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts