"Spider-Man - The '67 Classic Collection" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate this DVD!

• Total voters

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I was a little disappointed when it wasn't one of the classic Marvel cartoons included for the Disney+ launch. Well, the first season anyway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Really wish Disney + would add this show. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is missing episodes (2, I think) because they're sensitive subjects. Don't see why they can't add this one, even if they can't have every episode.

Trevor

Jun 10, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Really wish Disney + would add this show. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends is missing episodes (2, I think) because they're sensitive subjects. Don't see why they can't add this one, even if they can't have every episode.
Apparently Disney+ is not uploading the controversial episodes for any series. Darkwing Duck’s “Hot Spells” episode is missing as well.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
There is only one episode I think is too controversial to show nowadays, "The One-Eyed Idol" which has a pretty racist portrayal of an Australian aboriginal, the rest of the episodes are fine, but maybe Disney does not have the rights to that show.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
...but maybe Disney does not have the rights to that show.
They have the rights to the entire Marvel Productions catalog (that isn't any of the Sunbow/Marvel shows [Hasbro Studios/Allspark Entertainment] or Robocop: the Animated Series [MGM], or any other exceptions out there), so it shouldn't really be a problem.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
They have the rights to the entire Marvel Productions catalog (that isn't any of the Sunbow/Marvel shows [Hasbro Studios/Allspark Entertainment] or Robocop: the Animated Series [MGM], or any other exceptions out there), so it shouldn't really be a problem.
If Disney has the rights to this show, why isn't it on Disney plus then? As I said, there is only one episode (maybe a couple of more) that I think would too offensive to show today, most of the episodes are fine, IMO.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Why isn't anything they have not on Disney+? Look, I really don't think you're being fair by implying that [name of show or movie that involves Disney or any related companies] isn't on Disney+ because they don't have the rights. One thing is certain, they do need to get their act together and start uploading more of their stuff.

Reactions: Webbed-Wonder

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
There is only one episode I think is too controversial to show nowadays, "The One-Eyed Idol" which has a pretty racist portrayal of an Australian aboriginal, the rest of the episodes are fine, but maybe Disney does not have the rights to that show.
The whole series was released on DVD by Buena Vista Entertainment/Disney back in 2004, 5 years before Disney bought Marvel. Around 2009/2010, Marvel.com released every episode of the show on their website. They did that for a lot of the old shows they owned (90s Spidey, Unlimited Spidey, X-Men TAS, Evolution, Silver Surfer). 60s cartoon Spidey later showed up in the Spider-Verse comics and made cameos in other books in 2014-onward. They couldn't use any Sony owned Spidey's but anything else was fair game. There's no good reason this show isn't on here, and it's surprising given its iconic (and meme) status as the first Spidey show with that classic theme.

Reactions: Fone Bone

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
The whole series was released on DVD by Buena Vista Entertainment/Disney back in 2004, 5 years before Disney bought Marvel.
That's right plus Disney got the Marvel Fox Kids shows after acquiring Fox Family, which in turn got them the Fox Kids library and Saban Entertainment.

Dec 3, 2014
My house, DUH!!!
I was checking out this set a while ago, and man, it still looks great. The one thing that bugged me was the lack of bonus features aside from the booklet, but other than that, the presentation was wonderful and the restoration work was pretty impressive, even considering that this was before we got all the 4K stuff and Blu-Ray quality.

The series itself is pretty fun, and even the latter seasons have their charm. In fact, I've warmed up quite a lot toward the Bakshi seasons and I appreciate that he tried to explore the character of Peter a lot more, but again, the budget cutbacks must have been annoying for him to deal with.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
There are a couple Bakshi episodes I love like King-Pinned or Origin of Spiderman but I still can't get into all of his random abstract episodes or generic green villains.

I love the origin and Kingpin episodes, they felt like they were actually almost doing a serialized thing for 2 episodes where a lot of the plot points in the Kingpin episode are from him still getting used to being Spider-Man/getting his job at the Bugle/figuring out how to care for Aunt May/Spider-Man being a rumor. I really love that stuff (I like how they do that in Spectacular at the start as well, "I thought you were just a myth!").

Other than that the majority of the Bakshi episodes are still entertaining for their bizarre qualities, they pretty much stopped trying to be a serious Spidey story after about 3 episodes and just did weird stuff nonstop. I love the "Revolt in The Fifth Dimension" episode that is a Rocket Robin Hood episode but with Spider-Man literally pasted into it. Watch that thing at 2am and be in disbelief as to what's even going on. Love it!

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I have to admit to having a fondness for Revolt after catching it at just the right time late at night where it had me spooked. It's amazing how long it even is before you see Spidey himself.

Reactions: VintageToonFan

Trevor

Jun 10, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, if you watch the episodes that were included as bonuses on the first 2 Spider-Man ‘94 DVD’s from Disney and compare them to the 67 set, you can really tell how the difference.

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Hey everybody, it's 7/15,World Noivern day! Kra-ka-ka-ka-kee-ree!
Butch Hartman is hinting again that 'Danny Phantom' might come back.
Does anyone find it a bit strange that Misty Lee has co-written 2 Scooby Doo productions (the Abracadabra Doo movie and the Spooky Scarecrow) and yet she's never done any voice acting in Scooby Doo? The former is especially strange since it's about stage magic, and she's also known for being a talented stage magician. On a related note, she should definitely voice Zatanna sometime in the future. It's easy casting.
And the winner is "The Grim Adventures Of The KND" which got 3 votes. "Modern Primitives" got nothing. The next matchup is between "Sky Pirates In The Sky" and "Quack Pack" .

Who is the most yellow-est fella that lives under the sea? Today SpongeBob and his VA Tom Kenny are celebrating Birthday! What a coincidence!
And yes, SpongeBob was born on July 14,1986, exactly 34 years ago!