Spider-Man: TAS "Turning Point" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and comment on this episode right now!

• Total voters

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discuss this Spider-Man: The Animated Series episode!

Episode #41 - Turning Point
Original Airdate - November 23, 1996

With the Time Dilation Accelerator, the Green Goblin trails Spider-Man and discovers his secret identity. Insane and equipped with the newly found information, The Green Goblin kidnaps Mary Jane Watson and takes her to the George Washington Bridge. Spider-Man races to save Mary Jane, but will it be too late?

Comments?

The Master Con

Dark Glass
I, myself, own this on DVD. This was clearly the best out of the bunch. It was a shame that MJ was not killed, per say, but it was understandable considering that after all this is a kids' show. It was enjoyable to see Peter "let loose" and willing to kill the Green Goblin no matter the costs (something rare for cartoons).

"You'll pay Osborne! Even if I have to chase you forever! You'll pay!!!"

Spidey2099

I wish I knew the name of the director/ animation/ artist person who animated this episode. He's the same guy who also directed "The Alien Costume Part 1," "Night of the Lizard," and "Hydro Man." Oh yeah, and the first Doctor Octopus episode. He really pulled out all the stops on "Turning Point," especially in the part where
Peter is being dragged through the sky towards the George Washington Bridge by the Goblin.

I don't know what was so difficult for TMS to keep up the quality with the other episodes. I know there was some heavy editing at Marvel Studios, but that was no excuse for the crude drawings in episodes like the first Vulture arc. (Man, I've really lost touch with the names in this series.)

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
Easily one of the strongest Spider-Man episodes of the entire series it truly demonstrates the lengths Spidey is willing to go to protect his loved ones and the price one pays if they do harm one of his loved ones. An awesome episode to say the least.

-Joe!

Spider-Man

Such a great episode with such a tiny flaw...the whole dimension thing. I realize it was set up early on, and a good way to let Peter think MJ was gone, but I still wish it was handled differently. There's not a chance they would kill her off, so this was the next best way, I suppose. Perhaps a coma would've been a suitable alternative? Anyways, I love this episode. The animation is as sleek as the first episode, and the voice acting and final confrontation is mesmerizing and tense. I remember watching this episode repeatedly when I first taped it off Fox, and I still revisit this episode from time to time, as much as I can, on the DVD.

Digu Volz

is yo' mama
This whole story screamed camp though they didn't play it up as a knowing parody, which I'm personally thankful for, 'cause, somehow, this story still made sense and wasn't necessarily improbable despite my wishing being able to manipulate time and space wasn't always a fork-jammed-in-toaster away.

Spider-Man

The whole dimension hopping device still bothers me from time to time. I love it when Spider-Man is grounded in reality, which is why I'm not too fond of the final "cosmic" episodes. Thankfully, Semper and his crew were able to provide an adequate balance to make not seem so ridiculous. Still, even that little problem of mine can't detour with how great of an episode this is.

Weibart

Intercept Now!
Reporter
i loved this, probably one of my all time favorite eps. the only nitpick i have with it was osbourne threating to reveal peter's identity to the guests, which i couldn't buy into, but that's my only gripe. aside from that, this ep had some of the best animation of the series. great direction, some excellent composition and angles, and the animation was pretty consistant thru-out. i thought spidey had some excellent delivery, though sometimes it sounded a little forced/overacted. overall, this was a very memorable story and at the time was a shocker back when i was tween. i remember thinking, "what just happened?!?"

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
Althougth nobody die like in the comic book version. This ep still had a sad ending. Which I guess make it so good. I think fox spiderman don`t get enough credit for being one of the best toon from the 90`s like batman does. In someways spiderman was better then batman.

Ssrn53

I guess as far Spidey:TAS episodes go this was probably the best. I decided to watch it again on ABC Family to see if it was any better than I remember it being. It wasn't. It has the same problems the entire series suffers from. First I wasn't impressed by Spidey's anger at the Green Goblin toward the end of the episode. For all his anger and melodramatics he still wasn't angry enough to throw a single punch. Not one. I have a Spider-man comic where he got just as angry and he didn't hold back. Spidey does have a breaking point but he doesn't need to reach it to throw a punch. He does that even when he's a good mood. If Spidey did get his hands on GG, I don't think he would have done anything but restrain him anyway. They needed to show more "Angry Back Alley" than "Friendly Neighborhood". 3 stars

Last edited by a moderator:

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Such a great episode. Easily my favourite episode of Spider-Man ever, possibly my favourite episode of any cartoon ever. Back in the day, I remember eagerly anticipating this episode, simply from the wanting to know what would happen after Goblin War. While I had no internet then, so there was no spoilers to be scared off, I remember being shocked when she feel through the portal. Kinda creppy when you think about it, I mean, she never really came back. I mean, we saw her floating around in the portal, presumably for the rest of her life.

While it wasn't a season finale for us here in the UK, as season 4 started straight away, Guilty, the aftermath of this episode was executed well, but the series never again lived up to this episode, in either writing or TMS animation, which was beautiful throughout. Paticullay the end, with Peter on the bridge talking to himself, with an absoloutly perfect delivary from Chris Barnes.

While it was tedious seeing the flashback to it every single episode for a couple of months (does anyone else think they should have had quick flashes instead of long drawn out scenes?) the execution of this episode was flawless, changed enough from the comics to remain fresh, so the sence of "We've been here before" didn't overbare the scene.

The voices also seemed to be of higher quality here, paticullary Barnes and Ross, The Green Goblin. He was downright classic at the dinner scene, a perfect mocking/temptation tone whilst threatning to reveal Peters secret to his friends.

Overall ***** easily.

Now you reply!!!!!! :D

TheScarecrow

The Master Of Fear
I've seen the episodes. Love the nods to the Spidey/Goblin comic book moments like Goblin finding out Spidey's secret ID, and tying him up and hooking him to his Goblin Glider.

The portals and dimension-hopping device is a little too hi-tech and sci-fi for a Spider-Man/Goblin story, and some of the intensity is lessened by characters not allowing to even punch each other because of lame and archaic standard and practices rules for network cartoon shows. I am not saying blood, guts, and deaths are always needed in superhero stories, but if a hero and a villain are building to a fight scene, the fight scene needs to be a little more intense especially when the hero screams “you will pay!” to the villain.

I give the episode ****1/2.

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
Acutly spiderman did throw a few punches but the gobin just dedged them.

Spider-Man

I remember reading that punches could never connect, only kicks could for some inexplicable reason in the show. You make a good point, The Scarecrow. But not allowing the characters to do nothing more than wrestle around and shout at each other, alot of tension is lost. This episode, especially, deserved something more than what it got. I would've loved for the envelope to be pushed just a tad here.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Spider-Man said:
This episode, especially, deserved something more than what it got. I would've loved for the envelope to be pushed just a tad here.

Agreed. While some of the episodes where tolerable (a violent cartoon isn't a good cartoon) FOX should have let them push some boundries, some episodes need it. For example, Superman: The Animated Series: Apokolips Now! probably wouldn't have worked without them streching the rules, but they let Timm and co do so, and because of it, they have the best episode of Superman ever (IMO of course, but The Late Mr Kent is a damn close second)

Would have been nice to see...

spidercarnage

i know its an old talkback...but i love...and i mean LOVE this ep.

From beginning to end, i believe this ep tried its hardest to follow the comic book infleuence. The scene with spiderman being tagged along by a steel rope thing was taken straight from the comic books and put into animated which was done beautifully.

I do not think they needed violence in this ep, i did not fit the series. They used peter parker (chris barnes) sreaming alot! (which he does very well...i remember: 'GET BACK HERE SHOCKER...SHOCKER!!'...God thats good screamin')

MAJOR flaw, the MJ saga after this never really picked up. In the comic books, each supporting character is as important as the main character and are developed just as much.

They focused too much on peters saga to give the surrounding characters any real personality....APART from MJ. The only supporting character they worked on....they get rid of!

If you want to see the MJ saga continued...please sign the petition in my sig...i've said this so many times so..just do it lol.

overall great ep ****1/2.

Stu

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Toon Disney airs what could be the best episode of Spider-Man ever today. Don't miss it!

turningpoint1.jpg

Episode #41 - Turning Point
Original Airdate - November 23, 1996

Peter Parker and Mary Jane are finally a couple, but there happiness is short-lived as the Green Goblin, armed with a time distorter and the true identity of Spider-man, seeks to destroy Spider-man, by any means necessary.

Comments?

Miyamoto Musashi

Law Enforcer
Not my favorite, but one of my favorites and it's based on 4 actually excellent spiderman issues:

039.jpg

Amazing #39

002.jpg

009.jpg

Spectacular Magazine #2 or for those who know it otherwise; Amazing Annual #10

121.jpg

Amazing #121

122.jpg

Amazing #122

Last edited by a moderator:

Cypher Rage

A really good episode, which had some spectacular fight scenes and dilemmas. My only gripe about this episode was that it introduced the missing Mary-Jane subplot, which was never truly resolved.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I mean I can get being annoyed with hate-watching and parasocial trailer bashing. It’s just undoubtedly peculiar to be involved with an adult cartoon remake of Good Times and be super defensive about it instead of understanding.
Nick KCA press site is now gone

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?

Featured Posts