Spider-Man: TAS "Night of the Lizard" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate This Episode

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 3 11.5%

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Discuss this premiere Spider-Man: The Animated Series episode!

Episode #1 - Night of the Lizard
Original Airdate - November 19, 1994

Peter's science teacher, Dr. Curt Connors, transforms himself into the Lizard while attempting an experiment to regenerate his missing limb. Consumed by the animal instincts of the Lizard, Dr. Connors terrorizes the city and becomes a hunted man. When Spider-Man discovers that his teacher is in fact the monster he has been trying to capture, he must find a cure before Dr. Connors' transformation becomes irreversible.

Comments?

Brainiac

You've forced my hand.
Nov 24, 2001
Los Angeles
Visit site
Well, for those of you who have been waiting for it, "Night of the Lizard," the first Spider-Man:TAS episode, finally aired once again on ABC Family this morning.

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
My favorite episode! I really wish I got it taped this morning. I have been waiting for ages to get a better copy of this episode. Is it on one of the VHS releases? I think this episode is superior over all the rest (even though I like them, too) becuase it was before they decided to reuse footage over and over, and it was actually animated much darker than the following episodes. Shadows are dark black, not light black. The animation was in top form. Plus the episode included my favorite one-liner of the series:

"Debra Whitman; the little sister I never had...or wanted"

Christopher N. Denner

Defender of WTC film stock
Feb 9, 2002
Upstate NY
www.toonzone.net
My favorite episode too. Probably because it didn't have the rushed storyline baggage that most of the episodes had, and took a good long time introducing almost everyone important (Including Debra Whitman, who doesn't even show up again until the end of season 2). I think the animation was a step above the rest of the episodes too. But I probably remember it fondly, because this was the "preview" episode and the series wouldn't officially start for 4 more months on FoxKids.

:D

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
Jan 18, 2002
Beacon of Freedom
www.toonzone.net
I think that is a big reason this show didn't have any re-used footage - mainly because it was the first episode to be aired for the series. This episode ranks up there in my top ten favorite episodes of Spider-Man: TAS (The Black Costume three part will always be my fave, followed by the two parter series finale guest starring the Scarlet Spider, the two part Venom Returns and the Scorpions origin).

The animation was amazing and seeing as how it was done by TMS (of B:TAS fame) I don't think we expected anything less. This episode was a spectacular way to kick off the series and threw the audience right into the series.

-Joe!

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
The Black Costume saga is definatly up there for me. I think releasing those three episodes, as well as Venom Returns and Carnage would make a great DVD. I think the backstory for Mordo is explained in those episodes breifly enough as to no confuse the normal folks. :) I think there was a lot more poured into 'Lizard' than the rest of the other episodes. This episode just had a bit more to it. I bet the budget was higher on this episode than the following ones. This is the only completely originally animated episode and that's just cool...

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
I want to bump this up as a reminder for all the Spider-Man fans here. This is the best episode of the entire series (In my opinion :)) and I hope we can have a big discussion on it! Perfect animation, a tad dark, and some beautiful sequences!

It airs today on ABC Family! Don't miss it!

Anarky

Team Conan
Feb 2, 2002
Seattle
I agree. This ep was great. How great? I've only seen it ONCE: the series premiere YEARS ago!!! But it definitely left a good impression on me. My only beef: Spidey's mental soliloquies...far too much. If they had cut down on that, the series would've been a little better. But hey, the voice actor got paid for every word so good for him. The rest of the series took a nosedive after this though.

zarius

Jun 9, 2002
Britain
Visit site
Oh, DO clam up. That series was gold, true the animation became less..crispier, but the acting was top-notch,

Some of the stories may have gone some people's heads, but you know the old saying, " If you can't stand the heat , then stay outta the kitchen" :p

In fact, the only cringe-inducing line of the series was this:

MARY JANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE -Spidy (from "Guilty", Season Four)"

czyznyck99

Apr 8, 2002
Somewhere Apocalyptic...
Night of the Lizard wasn't exactly my favorite episode of Spider-man, but it was good. I liked the Lizard's plan to turn everyone into lizards, it went along with Doc Conners obsessive interest with Neogenics (which obviously comes into big play later). But other than that, there wasn't a whole else. It was dark, yes, but this series was great because it played out over many episodes, and especially not the first one. It wasn't until "The Spider Slayer" that I was hooked in.

But I'll be nice. 3.5 stars.

Later.

MJC

Apr 13, 2002
Detroit
Originally posted by Anarky
I agree. This ep was great. How great? I've only seen it ONCE: the series premiere YEARS ago!!! But it definitely left a good impression on me. My only beef: Spidey's mental soliloquies...far too much. If they had cut down on that, the series would've been a little better. But hey, the voice actor got paid for every word so good for him. The rest of the series took a nosedive after this though.
I've always thought that was a highlight of the series...there aren't many superhero cartoons where you can know what the characters are thinking. I also thought it made it more like a comic. To each his own, I guess.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 15, 2002
The Marvel Animation Age
marvel.toonzone.net
Bump :D

I thought it would be rude not to bump the thread for one of my favourite episodes of Spider-Man.

The perfect pilot. It introduced us to our hero, his supporting characters like Dr. Conners or Debra Whitman ("the little sister I never had, or wanted" :D ), and parts of his life, the Bugle, his hatred of Brock, his friendship with Robbie, and his boss J Jonah Jameson. That, and the animation owned. The director (whoever he was) did himself proud in this episode. I also thought the music was up to a much better standard. If they had kept up to this quality, this show would possibly be remembered in a Batman: The Animated Series light. It's a shame that when season 2 came along, so did awful colouring, very bad editing, and crap animation.

***** Easy.

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 15, 2002
The Marvel Animation Age
marvel.toonzone.net
ABC Family airs one, if not the finest episodes of Spider-Man today at 10.30 am ET. This episode was the pilot for the series

Episode #1 - Night of the Lizard
Original Airdate - November 19, 1994

Spider-Man saves a subway worker, who in shock tells Spidey that he saw some weird lizard creature. At first he's reluctant to believe the worker until he discovers a weird lizard like creature in Dr. Connors's laboratory. Spider-Man soon learns that the thing is Dr. Connors who has been trying to come up with a cure for loose limbs.

Comments?

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
Jul 11, 2003
spider-man.toonzone.net
Now this was it! This is hands down one of the best single episodes of any Marvel animated show ever! This was an episode that actually looked like it was animated by TMS, even though the whole series was. They didn't resort to any cheap re-editing tricks to save on animation (which got a little distracting after a while, presumably when John Semper had left the show), carefully layered dialogue as opposed to the breakneck rushing pace of later eps (probably due to the fact that the three writers worked together as opposed to separate writers for the story and teleplay of most future eps), and one of the writers was the enormously talented Gerry Conway, a veteran of animation in general and one of Spidey's best comic writers too! All in all, a perfect pilot episode!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
I remembered this episode fondly. It didn't have all the cool villians like Kingpin, Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Carnage, or Doctor Doom but man, what a set-up. The series got more complicated and layered as it went on but forgot some of the pleasures of a simple story and non-rushed pacing. I didn't know TMS did the animation here. Maybe if the credits weren't shrunk beyond recognition... (grumble grumble.) All in all, a great beginning. *****

Toon Capone

Oct 1, 2002
Visit site
Night Of The Lizard the first and one the best episodes of the series this is how the entire series should have been. I liked how Dr. Connors / The Lizard was portrayed. It was well animated too unlike many of the episodes that followed.

Nick K.

Aug 25, 2003
I really liked this episode a lot. Cant wait for more down the road. The Lizard had one of teh best stories in the entire series, at least it was better to me then Scorpions or venoms or Carnage...

oranthal

Superman: A hero in life and in death
May 5, 2001
I think there a few instances where there seem to be editing though I'm not sure. The only I really recall right now was when Mrs. Conners was holding the neogenic recombinator and Spidey webbed the Lizard. The next thing we see is that the recombinator on top of a sewer pipe and Mrs. Conners being knocked out on the ground. I assume it was the Lizard who actually hit Mrs. Conners while trying to break free of Spidey's webbing. It didn't away from my enjoyment of this episode because it was small compared to the greatness of this episode, but sometimes the little things irk me.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Feb 26, 2002
Washington
There was another image issue in this episode... as if they started a commerical and then stopped a second after it started.

I hate cuts to American shows because they usually make even less sense than the ones that happen to anime. You can figure what happens but it is still weird watching it.

This was a fantastic episode. I forgot so many of those old lines... like the hand bag one, putting on the breaks, etc. I remembered the Fantastic Four line but I forgot that he kept mentioning other heroes as he rambled on.

Jon T

Friendless Spidey
Jul 11, 2003
spider-man.toonzone.net
Fone Bone said:
I didn't know TMS did the animation here.
TMS animated the whole series...though from some of the four frames a second scenes in later eps you'd hardly notice! This was really due to the bad video editing equipment/editor working on the show. John Semper hated it as well, and I think was one of his main criticisms of the series after he left. Check out Six Forgotten Warriors Chapter V for the ultimate example of lazy editing - two scenes completely switched over, and no one caught it! Plus in one of the Morbius eps (I think), someone left the timecode in the scene (at least in the copy I have)!

Spotlight

Latest profile posts

The Aladdin remake is one of few films that I am actively hoping underperforms. The more we can convince Disney to stop giving animation the finger with these remakes, the better.
I can't believe Russell fricking died.
My tv provider has come to an agreement with Disney.
All channels of Disney (including FOX)
Are going to stay next month.
:)
remember when toon disney aired live action outside of jetix
Rupavahini is airing SeaQuest yet with a local theme song despite the series airing with Sinhala subtitles.