• *1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1/2

• Total voters

EroSennin

The Frog Hermit
Wow what a great movie! I never took my eyes off the screen. The movie moved very fast and there werent any spots where I was bored. The acting was great. Tobey did great playing Spiderman. DaFoe made the best villian since Jack Nicolson's Joker. If you pay attention theres quite a few mentions of other characters from the Spider-Man world. The CGI was great. Seeing Spidey swing around NY made you dizzy at times. The only thing I had a small problem about was that wasnt Norman Osborne the hobgoblin not the Green Goblin? I could have it mixed up. To anyone not planning on seeing its a must see. **** and 2 thumbs up. Go see it!

MWilburyJr

Bling
Entertaining movie.

No, it wasn't Batman or Superman. And I haven't quite decided if it was better than X-Men yet either.

Yes, it was pretty cheese. . . but not so bad I couldn't live with it, and I was pretty thoroughly entertained for the majority of the flick. Not sure how much of it was just the comic nerd in me, but I laughed quite a bit during the first hour or so.

The graphics were fun to see, but never did it make me say, 'wow, that looks like a real guy.' We're not quite there just yet i suppose. On that note, I cannot see where anyone could say spider-man was "too grounded." He bounced all over the place.

And, no, Willem Dafoe's Goblin wasn't the greatest comic movie villian of all. I don't blame him, he didn't write the part. They ruined the Goblin's mysterious, scary quality with some of his scenes. I enjoyed the movie, and would recommend it to all (clearly I dont' have to do that here). . . but I couldn't believe it when, during the last 20 minutes, i was actually saying, 'geez. hurry and wrap this bad boy up' I was getting a little weary of the characters.

All in all, I think the biggest downfall was that it reminded me TOO much of the comic, and when I'm seeing a live action version, I don't want to be reminded they belong in 2 dimensions. I'm just like everyone else when I want them to be faithful to the characters, but I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Yeah, I think it was a little better than X-Men ;), even though it lacked that edge. And if we put things in their proper perspective, it really wasn't as good as the 1966 Batman either. But that's not so bad as it sounds.

B- . . . figuring in its summer blockbuster genre, that makes it an A-

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
Originally posted by Gyro
What do you think will happen to Harry? Will he become the new Green Goblin? Or maybe the Hobb Goblin?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering. Any Spider-man fans that can provide some history on the characters? In the comics, I'm pretty sure Harry became the new Green Goblin, but one of my friends said he was the Hob Goblin. Does anybody know which it is?

Also, in the comics, Norman's dead, right? Was his death at all similar to his movie death? And how about Harry's origins as a villain? Was it like the movie, where he believe Spiderman killed his father?

D

d-boy

Originally posted by MWilburyJr
Entertaining movie.

Please rethink to the last Goblin scene. That was not
the Spider-Man I have grown to love over the last
25 years. He was "too grounded." The final villian fight
should have been better choreographed than the
alley scene and the bank robberry scenes which
had better action. The alley scene reminded me of Bat-man.
The flip during the Flash fight was over exxagerated.
Parts of the movie reminded me of "Smallville"

I can't wait for the sequel though. I hope the Kingpin is
in it. Oh yeah Dafoe was great! So was the Jameson
actor.

I don't mean to be harsh but I expected more. Oh yeah it's way
better than the X-men though. I can barely rewatch that movie.
The award winning comic stories (Claremont) are too enriched in
my imagination.

D-boy

kachuke

i thought it was great i loved the part where he said he got fired by dr. conner i enjoyed it better than x men but spidy is more my fav i have to go see it again to catch more references sounds like i missed quite a few :mad:

Shriek

Warriors.. Come Out To Play!
They kind of set up a plot for the next two movies.

Dr. Conner. He would be the Lizard and then Harry could be the new Hob Goblin.

But I was confused about this... Was Dr. Conner the doctor who died at the beginning when Norman threw him into the lab equipment? If not, who was he then?

This movie was way better than any superhero movie I've seen. And I'm counting Batman and Superman.

Web Head

Girlfriend + Bridge = Bad
Simply put, a great movie.

It really captured Peter in a nutshell, and to anyone that knows the Spiderman universe, the characterization was dead on. Uncle Ben's murder, Pete's mourning, Harry and Norman's relationship, the Pete/MJ/Norman love triangle, I loved it all.

I agree that the graveyard scene could have been a little smoother, I don't know that it fully conveyed the reason Pete turned MJ down, and I think there was too much of a delay between the kiss and MJ's realization.

I caught the Dr. Connors reference, but missed the one about Eddie Brock. Can anyone tell me when it is so I can spot it when I go see the movie again?

And were there any other one liners you guys caught? A good one was when Pete was in the ring with Bonesaw and the cage lowers, Pete says "Whoa! No one said anything about a cage! Who do you think I am, The Thing?!?"

Shriek

The Eddie reference. The first time Peter enters JJ's office. You'll hear JJ say something about "Put Eddie on it." Or "Eddie can't get a good shot" It was something along those lines.

But if you listen you'll hear it. But it does come from JJ's mouth.

Failure

Entertainment Mod
I didn't think I was gonna get to see this movie this weekend, but I just bought tickets to see it in half an hour... so now I'm stoked!

I predicted that this movie was gonna do $80 mil+, I think it might set some records, just based on the fact that the theater near me had a waiting room nearly packed with people even though the movie wasn't gonna show for another 40 minutes. And this is on a half-empty college campus!

Hopefully I can get a review up by Monday.

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
Originally posted by d-boy
I don't mean to be harsh but I expected more.

I understand. I didn't go in with very high expectations. That's mostly because I've been looking ahead to Star Wars. A friend of mine was really excited about seeing it, so I figured it'd be cool to go along. And I was blown away. It was a lot better than I had imagined. I never expected to care that much about the characters involved.

I see what you're saying about the last fight sequence. The things is, it wasn't really the typical fight. It started out completely one-side in favor of Goblin, with him just hammering Parker. Then when Parker flung him back, we see him pulling Goblin's legs out from under him and pulling the wall down on him. Again, not traditional fighting here. Then when Goblin climbs out, it's completely one-sided again, but this time in favor of Spidey, and ending in Goblin's defeat. There wasn't really a back-and-forth between them that might have allowed for Parker to use his new-found abilities. I don't think he should be using his incredible agility simply because he has it. It should fit into the context of the fight. Given what was happening, I think it worked. That's just my opinion, though. I'm not sure how others feel.

I actually liked X-men a lot. It didn't have much of story, feeling more like setup and then an ending. But I thought everything that we saw was done well. It falls short of Spiderman, because it lacked the emotional punch. But I do think it's one of the better superhero movies.

jm5150bc

FANTASTIC MOVIE !!!!

Definitely the best comic-book superhero interpretation to date.
Better than any of the Batman or Superman films, X-Men, too- at least in my opinion... (and I'd have to say I'm really a DC fan and Batman freak- my favorite Spidey era was the Stan Lee / John Romita Sr. era)

All of the peformances were excellent, particularly Toby McGuire's.
He captured Peter Parker brilliantly- a very multi-layered performance...

The CGI Spidey looked great, almost all of the time. The swinging scenes in particular looked excellent. They captured a lot of "classic" Spidey poses.

I'd say the mix of action and character-development was pretty even. The movie is very character driven, and done very well in my opinion. You really get a chance to care about all the main characters.

You can really tell that Sam Raimi was passionate about these characters. He retained the core essences with great reverence to the comic book source, while giving a sort of updated, modern take. I can only hope that Warner Bros. is taking notes...

Shriek

I truly cannot believe how awesome this movie is. I mean I thought it was going to bomb. But everything about this movie really really rocked. The characters and especially the plot development.

Depth Charge

wheres crackychan
The movie was fantastical. I feel like a part of me and has transcended into a greater beyond..... I also feel like being a hero and going out to save people. Yes, the movie was great, I believe that people who do not like comic books would have fun. Graphics are superior and the characters are properly represented. I will see it again next week.

kiddiesunshine

this movie's doing very well. i won't be able to see it for free untill 5-17. i did get to clean up y'all's trash. good thing the end credits are good. but seriously, folks, do your theater ushers a favor. PICK UP AFTER YOURSELVES.

Barb Gordon

Nin-Mod
Sweet....that's what I said to Carnage right as the credits started playing. It just couldn't get any cooler. Although, according to Carnage, it was way off from the comics, it was still an incredibly kick ass movie to the both of us. Unlce Ben, Norman Osborn, they were both so perfect in their roles. And even if it wasn't close to the comics, I think that it succeeded in carrying to essence of what makes Spiderman so dang great, and that's the most important part! I have to say that the fight scenes just blew my mind away, what an amazing CGI, choreography, special effects team. One of my way moments, which really got Carnage and I laughing, was when Peter was on a rooftop and was trying to figure out how to get the webbing to shoot from his wrist...his voice, with his hand doing these hilarious gestures for a good amount of time got everyone laughing. I remember reading an article where Raimi said something of how they did the "spidey sense", and wow, that was one of the coolest parts of the movie to me.

~Barb

Clayface

Molecularly Malleable Mod
I just got back from seeing this. I enjoyed it. It wasn't my favorite of the comic-based movies - in my opinion, it didn't come close to Batman or X-Men. Then again, I was a huge fan of Batman and the X-Men when I was kid, and never really followed Spider-Man, so that could play a part in it for me.

Just about everything I wanted to say was said perfectly on the previous page by MWilburyJr, so if you wanna know what I thought, go back and read his post! ;)

The CG scenes really bugged me - a lot of them really stood out as CG to me, and it really pulled me out of the movie a number of times. And like MWilburyJr, I was sort of itching for them to just wrap the thing up as we got toward the end.

Overall, all complaints aside, it was a very enjoyable movie, and I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Duncanzits

You want something odd? Spiderman saves Mary Jane from falling off the balcony...by falling faster than her? That goes against all known science!

It's strange Spiderman doesn't need to wear glasses, but Harry Potter does. I guess spiders have more abilities than wizards!

Clayface

Molecularly Malleable Mod
Originally posted by Duncanzits
You want something odd? Spiderman saves Mary Jane from falling off the balcony...by falling faster than her? That goes against all known science!

Yeah, there's a whole lotta bad science in this flick, but, eh, so what - its a comic book flick. Gotta suspend disbelief somewhere! ;)

The Game

One Stratusfied Customer
I thought it was really cool, and very entertaining, but there were some problems.

I think it was too light and happy and some points, then dark and violent at others. The part of the movie where they are showing the newspaper and news clips of "The Spider-Man" was really lame and somewhat cheesy. I was wondering why the movie was even PG-13 instead of PG, but then we get to see Spidey beaten to a bloody pulp near the end. It was like two different movies.

Now, considering I'm not a HUGE Spiderman fan like some of you guys, I'm just wondering if you approved of the fact that Spider-Man didn't appear until like an hour into the movie. I don't want to crap on what the fans of the comic want, but I found Spidey's origin to be somewhat boring and tedious.

Anyone agree on either of these points?

-The Game

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts