• Enter to win two tickets to Howl's Moving Castle. Details here.

"Spider-Man" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and Comment on "Spider-Man"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
A Gift. A Curse. A Destiny.

"Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, 'with great power comes great responsibility.' This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-Man." - Peter Parker

Release Date: May 3, 2002
Studio: Sony Pictures Entertainment
Director: Sam Raimi
Starring: Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, J.K. Simmons, Rosemary Harris, Cliff Robertson, Randy Poffo, Michael Papajohn, Joe Manganiello, Ted Raimi, Bill Nunn, Bruce Campbell, Elizabeth Banks

Plot Summary: Orphaned at an early age, Peter Parker (Maguire) lives in Queens, New York with his beloved Aunt May (Harris) and Uncle Ben (Robertson). Peter leads the life of a normal student, working as a photographer at the Daily Bugle under the tutelage of publisher J. Jonah Jameson (Simmons), pining after the beautiful Mary Jane Watson (Dunst) and hanging out with his buddy Harry Osborn (Franco).

On a school trip, during which Peter and his classmates are given a science demonstration on spiders, Peter is bitten by a genetically altered spider. Soon after, he discovers that he has unusual powers: he is endowed with the strength and agility of a spider along with a keen, ESP-like "spider-sense." After discovering these powers, Peter appears in a televised wrestling match and, armed with his new spider strength, wins the match in record time. But the wrestling match promoter refuses to award Peter the $3,000 prize money, alleging that Peter won too quickly. Soon afterwards, Peter has the opportunity to catch a burglar fleeing from the promoter's office, but because he wants revenge, he refuses to stop him. Moments later, the same burglar kills his beloved Uncle Ben.

As Spider-Man, Peter apprehends the burglar but is plagued with guilt for not being a hero sooner. During his time of turmoil, Peter remembers something Uncle Ben once told him: "With great power, comes great responsibility." Peter takes this to heart and decides to use his extraordinary powers to fight crime.

Meanwhile, megalomaniacal businessman Norman Osborn (Dafoe), Harry's father, is undergoing some changes of his own. An experimental formula has blown up in his face, increasing his intelligence and strength but also driving him insane. He is now the Green Goblin, Spider-Man's arch-enemy, who will put young Peter Parker's vow to fight crime and help innocent people to the ultimate test.

Related Threads:
-Spider-Man DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Spider-Man Score Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)

Comments?

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
I'd like to quickly discuss the reviews this movie's been given. Primarily, the infamous Roger Egbert, who I see has given the movie his thumbs down this morning in the paper I read. He had a lot of positive things to say about the movie: Primarily he was happy with Tobey Maguire's performance as Peter Parker, and he liked Kristen Dunst and William Dafoe's acting as well, but he didn't seem to like Tobey as Spiderman for some reason. I think he felt the action scenes were to rushed or something, (I never can completely figure out his reviews completely).

Newsweek basically gave it a thumbs up, but thought the movie focused too much on action, and not enough of the characters. Time Magazine's reviewer basically gave it a thumbs down, and said it focused too much on the characters, and didn't give us enough action.

Wierd, huh?

Not that I place too much faith in these so called "knowledgable reviewers". The Time Magazine guy said he thinks the sequel will be better, and said it was that way with the Batman movie. Huh? The sequel's to the Batman movies were better than the first?

:confused:

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
Originally posted by wonderfly
First, I'd like to say I'm going to see the movie tonight as well.

I'd like to quickly discuss the reviews this movie's been given. Primarily, the infamous Roger Egbert, who I see has given the movie his thumbs down this morning in the paper I read. He had a lot of positive things to say about the movie: Primarily he was happy with Tobey Maguire's performance as Peter Parker, and he liked Kristen Dunst and William Dafoe's acting as well, but he didn't seem to like Tobey as Spiderman for some reason. I think he felt the action scenes were to rushed or something, (I never can completely figure out his reviews completely).

Sweet! :D

Since Egbert gave it a thumbs down I'm almost guaranteed to love this film! I've noticed that when a film says it's critically acclaimed I've found that more often than not the film tends to reek of suckitude. I also remember hearing negative reviews from him for X-Men and seeing as how that's one of my favorite movies of all time I'll have to once again disagree with this so called "expert" of filmography.

-Joe!

Terminatah

Badass Cyborg
I'm going to see this movie tonight. The likelihood of my typing words formulating sentences about the movie in this thread is moderately adequate. Then I will live my life for some months, after which I will probably catch this movie on cable. I will also see the DVD someday. I'm still not sure what I'll be doing for the rest of my life during the points at which I am not watching this movie. It's likely I will continue my college career and perhaps become employed at a job of sorts. Probably, I will associate with other human beings as we consume food, engage in recreational activities, and discuss such diverse topics as this movie and what everyone else in the world thought about it. It is unclear at this time whether we will see or talk about any other movies.

Originally posted by jjwspider

Sweet! :D

Since Egbert gave it a thumbs down I'm almost guaranteed to love this film! I've noticed that when a film says it's critically acclaimed I've found that more often than not the film tends to reek of suckitude. I also remember hearing negative reviews from him for X-Men and seeing as how that's one of my favorite movies of all time I'll have to once again disagree with this so called "expert" of filmography.

-Joe!
While I don't always agree with the man, I think that his credentials in film do make him an expert, regardless of how his opinion compares to everyone else's. And his name is Ebert.

I'm going to wait until after I see this movie before I affiliate myself with any side of the review spectrum to any degree. But I'll tell you this much:

Boy, I hope it's better than X-Men! ;)

-Terminatah

WonderRaver

Let me just say that I do not think anyone will be disappointed. It was a great movie all around.

I am not a Marvel fan, but I still enjoyed this movie. There were even a couple DC comics references in it! The story stuck pretty well to the origin (at least the one I remember... I haven't read a Spidey comic in a loooong time). There was plenty of action and the story moved along well.

The only gripe I have was that at a couple points, the computer animation looked bad. I don't really consider this a spoiler, but...
When Peter was trying out his new power and running across the rooftops of buildings, you can see the digitalized graphics too easily. It wasn't blended in well. Of course, the scene was during the day time and Peter was in plain clothes, so that might have had a little to do with it.

Oh! and I thought this was a little cheesy! (REAL SPOILER!) (Do not read until after you've seen the movie!)
At the funeral, MJ kisses Peter and he tells her he can't be with her. Then when he walks away, this flash comes over Mary Jane as she realizes that he is Spiderman. She touches her lips as if she figured it out by the kiss. Geez, has she only kissed a few guys in her lifetime?

Other than that, great movie! Oh, and Defoe did a brilliant job in my opinion. And will someone please let me know if that is truly Tobey's butt and legs in that costume. Because if it is, he should be wearing spandex full time!
And another thing... (Minor Spoiler)
Peter has just realized he is now buff, so of course the first thing he does is check out his basket. What a riot! "Big changes" indeed.

-Matt

Nick Biped

Letting My Mind Wander
Well, I checked out the Spiderman reviews at Rotten Tomatoes. Looks pretty good so far, with 86% of reviews collected being favourable. :) As for Ebert, I usually trust his opinion. He gave it 2 1/2 stars out of 4, which certainly isn't bad by any means.

Anyhoo, I'm probably going to see the movie in a week or two. I don't know, it's just that I really never go out to see a movie in its first week or two of release. I prefer to see it after all the hype has slowed down, and the crowds are less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
That is the best Super-Hero movie since X-MEN....man. was that wonderful.

I thought the acting was very nice, especially with Spider-Man/Peters. Only beef I had was the parts where Tobey was Spider-Man, his voice was the same...he needs to deepin it, or somthing.

Still, a VERY well done movie. The 2 hours just flew right by, even the idiots that kept talking around me were blocked out, because the movie had my attention at ALL times.

-BB

Andy Mancini

I just got back from seeing "Spider-Man" with my brother and a friend of ours. (It just happened that prom night and "Spider-man" came out the same day, so my brother Danny "made" me see it at 11 in the morning :D.) That was a great movie. It does for "Spidey fans" what Tim Burton's "Batman" with Jack Nicholson did for Batman fans. A couple of notes:

- Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin was the best live-action villian yet. (Notice how I say "live action". Nobody will beat out Mark Hamill's Joker in my book.)

- No matter what anyone says, Danny Elfman's score fit the movie perfectly.

- Tobey Maguire and JK Simmons was perfect as Peter Parker and J. Jonah Jameson respectively.

- Watch for references to other "Spider-Man" characters like Eddie Brock and Dr. Conners.

- There is a "special surprise" in the credits.

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Originally posted by dj_gir

- There is a "special surprise" in the credits.
Futz. I knew I should've stayed for the credits. What's in it?? Please share! :)

-BB

Andy Mancini

Originally posted by Bird Boy
Futz. I knew I should've stayed for the credits. What's in it?? Please share! :)
OK then. Actually here are two spoilers:

As far as the surprise goes...
They play the original recording of the Spider-Man theme after "Hero" and "What We're All About" in the credits. It's at the way end.

And the other one...
I don't think that Venom will be in the third movie like everyone expects. At the end of the movie, Spider-Man puts the body of Norman Osborne into his bed. Harry catches him doing this, causing him to think that Spider-Man killed his father. At the graveyard, he tells Peter that "he will not rest until Spider-Man pays" for killing his father. That is what the third movie is going to be about.

Duncanzits

I saw it, PLUS a Powerpuff Girls Movie Poster was in the cinema lobby! Sweet! :cool:

Got to love those building scenes! :D

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
I just got back from seeing Spiderman and, in my opinion, it was great. The only scene that came across a little ackward was the conversation at the end between Parker and MJ.

Tobey was perfect for Parker/Spidey. He came across as nerdy, and yet you could also see flashes the man he will be as he matures. And overall, the casting seemed perfect. Both Dafoe and Dunst were good in there roles. They guy that played Harry was good, and I can see him as a great future villain. In the comics, he did become Green Goblin, didn't he? And the guy that played Jameson seemed perfect.

I didn't have any problem with the CGI. People were complaining just from the trailers, but I didn't see the problem then, and still don't then. I loved it all, especially the bit at the end when he's swinging through the city.

The development of Parker into the role of Spiderman was very good and, from what I recall of his comic book beginnings, seemed to incorporate the key aspects of his origins.

The look of the film was great with the action sequences well done. I liked the music score. I hadn't realized beforehand that Elfman had scored it, so I was excited to see his name during the opening credits. The acting and dialogue was mostly good, as was the pacing. I guess a good way to sum up my opinion is that I enjoyed the movie one heck of a lot. I'm definitely looking forward to future installments.

Oh, and it was also cool to see the Clone War trailer on the big screen. That's another movie I've been psyched to see. Should be great.

D

d-boy

I give the movie a C. I know I'm in the
minority. Everyone I asked in the
theatre disagreed with me, not knowing my
detailed analysis. I was expecting more non-stop
action like Blade I or like Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back.
The fight scenes between Spidey and the Goblin
were not original as they could have been. Not Enough
aerial movement by Spidey. Spidey was too grounded.
Not enough crouching by Spidey during the Goblin fighting
scenes. Tobey played Spidey too straight up. You don't come away with
any rememerable one liners that you associate with Spidey.
During the fight scenes Spidey kept getting hit on the same side
not giving the audience different fight perspectives. The Goblin looked
like a Power Ranger Villan! The original comic and animated
version of the Goblin would have been more exciting!
His hover wing was sweet though.Once Peter got his
powers he didn't act as suspicious as the
Aunt May and Uncle Ben characters were letting on.

I enjoyed the story leading up to Uncle Ben's death and the capture of
his murderer. Animation was Awesome! Spidey's costume was Excellent!
Wish I had one. Loved the fact that his webs originated from him not
manufactured by a webslinger. (that did take away from building Peter's
charatcer as a scientific genius.)

Out!
D-Boy

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
Originally posted by Bird Boy
I thought the acting was very nice, especially with Spider-Man/Peters. Only beef I had was the parts where Tobey was Spider-Man, his voice was the same...he needs to deepin it, or somthing.
I noticed that during his first several scenes as Spiderman, but by the end, it seemed like his voice was more superhero-like and deeper. I don't know if that was intentional, but it seems fitting, as he was growing into the role throughout the movie. Of course, I could be mistaken, but that was the impression I had as the movie progressed.

Bleu Unicorn

\ (^v^) /

[color=63B8FF]I just got back from Spider-man and I have to say right off, it was great. The best comic book adaptation since X-men.

The CGI scenes looked very good. Especially the last one at the end of the movie. There was a really awful digital scene though towards the beginning when Peter is first using his powers -- it just looks awful, but it didn't detract from the film.

The acting was wonderful. Though some of MJ's lines were beyond cheesy, even for the scenes they were in. But nonetheless it was still well scripted and superbly acted out. McGuire does a pretty good Spider-man. He really brings out Parker's geekiness, but still there is that hero in there. And I have to agree with the earlier comment about him wearing Spandex more often... <cough>

One other thing, did anyone wonder why no one seemed to care that Peter suddenly didn't wear glasses anymore? I thought that was something weird, but a tiny tidbit. Actually my only big complaint in Dunst as MJ, I'm not sure if it was her acting, or her lines -- but together they stunk bigtime.

All in all, I enjoyed it![/color]

Last edited by a moderator:

Killtacular

the race wars had begun
MJ cares. She asks him if he got contacts, though he doesn't really answer.

The other kids don't care because they think he's a nerdball.

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
Originally posted by d-boy
I was expecting more non-stop action like Blade I or like Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back.The fight scenes between Spidey and the Goblin were not original as they could have been. Not Enough aerial movement by Spidey. Spidey was too grounded.
Not enough crouching by Spidey during the Goblin fighting
scenes. Tobey played Spidey too straight up. You don't come away with any rememerable one liners that you associate with Spidey.
I agree about the one-liners, but I think it makes sense. Parker's only just begun his life as Spiderman, so I think it's much to soon for him to feel comfortable enough in a fight to be making wise-cracks.

The fights scenes were fine to me. I'm not going to call them the greatest ever or groundbreaking, but I wouldn't call them boring or inadequate either. His spider-abilities did factor in. When that guy at school was trying to kick his butt, Parker did a pretty incredible flip. Similarly, during the wrestling match, his jumping ability helped him get away. When Spidey fought off the guys that attacked MJ, I remember him flipping and jumping from one to the other. And against Goblin in the burning building, he twisted and turned in midair to avoid those blade devices that were thrown at him. I would say that's pretty good for someone that hasn't had his powers long.

Bleu Unicorn

\ (^v^) /
Originally posted by Matt Wilson
MJ cares. She asks him if he got contacts, though he doesn't really answer.

The other kids don't care because they think he's a nerdball.
I meant Aunt Mae and Uncle Ben -- don't they think it's odd when suddenly he doesn't need glasses?

-- Uni

Gyro

Never Knows Best
I just saw it. Best super hero based movie ever, period. I just couldn't turn my head away from the screen. Everything about it was great. Especially the fighting sequences and the web swinging scenes. They should show Spider-Man at an IMax theater! How awsome would that be? And I liked how they set it up for a sequel. What do you think will happen to Harry? Will he become the new Green Goblin? Or maybe the Hobb Goblin? I can't wait to get the DVDs. :)

Extra Bonus:
I saw the Hulk teaser, and I can't wait to see more. I can tell this will be another great comic based movie. Why does it have to be so far away? Summer of 2003, one whole year.