"Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
Just noticed this, but the article was updated to mention David Callaham (The Expendables, Wonder Woman 1984, Zombieland 2) is writing the sequel.
It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference there is with Lord and Miller not as directly involved in the production.

the greenman

In this article on Vanity Fair, they mentioned the sequel would focus on Miles and Gwen, and explore a romance between the two.

Note the article might contain Spoilers for "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse".
Haven't seen the film yet, but not a fan of "Romance" between Gwen and Miles. Unless, I'm wrong cause I never heard of that in the comics. That smells of the same old formality of what these Studio folks think of superhero films; especially the Spider-Man films. Besides that, I might be wrong but I thought Miles had separate love interest?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Haven't seen the film yet, but not a fan of "Romance" between Gwen and Miles. Unless, I'm wrong cause I never heard of that in the comics. That smells of the same old formality of what these Studio folks think of superhero films; especially the Spider-Man films. Besides that, I might be wrong but I thought Miles had separate love interest?

Miles and the Spider-Gwen version of Gwen Stacy did have an arc in their comic where they teamed-up and explored a potential romance, but it never really went anywhere.

the greenman

Miles and the Spider-Gwen version of Gwen Stacy did have an arc in their comic where they teamed-up and explored a potential romance, but it never really went anywhere.
Okay, thnx for that clarification. I just felt it kinda weird, but if it has merit from the comics, then why the heck not.

Mr.O

Okay, thnx for that clarification. I just felt it kinda weird, but if it has merit from the comics, then why the heck not.

I have read the Spider Gwen/ Miles crossover. The romance was barely existent and pointless. Bendis (Miles' creator and former writer) immediately buried the sub-plot as if it never happened. In Miles's book he's had several love interests, and Gwen was never really one of them.

In Gwen's comic, however, it was explored with much more detail. In one issue Gwen traveled to an alternate future in where she not only married Miles, but also had two kids. She has made several interactions with this alternate spider-family in her comic.

But as @Frontier said, the real Spider-Gwen and Mile's relationship never went anywhere. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this changes depending on the popularity of their animation counterparts.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Of course if you have seen the movie (which I'll put in spoiler tags just in case you haven't for whatever reason checked it out)

There is the issue that for the Spider-Verse, you can't really exist for long in an alternate reality that isn't your own without glitching and eventually just fading out of existence. Thus why though there was some minor flirting and sort of a connection between the two it didn't really extend out that much because of that even if the ending teased they may try to see one another again in the future. But that would actually be an interesting idea to explore since though I appreciated them not really focusing on a relationship in Spider-Verse if there was a movie dedicated to it the idea of "we can't really spend time together because we are literally from two different worlds" would be worth exploring. I assume it would end with a way for that whole "being destroyed if you're in another universe" problem being fixed but could still be fun exploring the drama of it especially since with Spider Verse out those sort of weird out there ideas more from the comics are sort of now on the table in terms of movie adaptations.

I do agree with some other people that honestly for a sequel a villain I kind of hope they use as the primary antagonist is an alternate reality Superior Spider-Man. You know a reality that follows the Superior Spider-Man series where Doctor Octopus's mind is in Spider-Man's body and he uses those abilities to be a superior take on Spider-Man. Maybe like he goes from reality to reality with his legion to try protecting it from threats but in a "conquer them so there are no more threats" sort of way and the Spider-Verse team has to reunite to stop him. Heck you could even do it where the Superior Spider Man in this case winds up in Miles's body so it's like Miles is fighting some really twisted version of himself. Then again I'm the person who also really wants an Incredibles 3 where like 15 years later the family's grown up and the main villain is a copy of Jack Jack who during a mission got separated from the rest of his family while everyone including the real Jack Jack didn't notice and he grew up under the care of a villain so I just have a thing for a super hero movie where the hero literally has to fight some variation of himself since I don't think that's really been explored in a movie. I mean hero fighting baddie with similiar power or even ideas as them sure but someone who literally is in a sense you hasn't been tackled despite it being a prime source for drama so I would push for that plot but... honestly most anything the team came up with I'd be down with. I'm just glad we are getting a sequel despite the movie though doing good only doing like 35 million opening weekend. Which... yeah with Venom making double that it's opening weekend there's something majorly wrong with this picture.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
This is pretty interesting - towards the end of this article on New York Times, they mention Sony is also considering making animated television shows based on characters introduced in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

I figured I would wait until more details are announced before starting a separate thread for this.

SweetShop209

This is pretty interesting - towards the end of this article on New York Times, they mention Sony is also considering making animated television shows based on characters introduced in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

I figured I would wait until more details are announced before starting a separate thread for this.
That's definitely a surprise since I thought Sony is unable to make television shows based on Spiderman characters.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Yeah, I bet it's like with Fox where they need Marvel's approval/partnership to do it. That's a really interesting idea with potential, though. I wonder if that's always been on the table for the last 10 years or if it's more of a recent flexibility with their relationship with Marvel. 'Couldn't Sony/Marvel also be able to go through some tape and figuring-it-out to revive some of the older Sony Spidey TV projects now if they deemed it worthwhile?

I mean the current Marvel/Disney shows are ending and new projects are probably starting to be developed for the streaming service, but would it really be that much of a stretch for 2 Spidey series airing at the same time in different places? In 2018 he was featured in 2 successful major motion pictures. In the early 80s he was in 2 different cartoons airing at the same time. In the late 70s he was in the Electric Company, his own live action show, and the show in Japan around the same time. There shouldn't be an issue with it if everybody wants to make money lol.

Draco Dracul

That's definitely a surprise since I thought Sony is unable to make television shows based on Spiderman characters.
True, but it's something Disney might allow to keep Spider-Man in the MCU and to have additional content for the streaming service they are launching later this year.

Frontier

Staff member
Personally I'm not sure what incentive there would be for DisMarvel to partner with Sony for a cartoon when they have the animation/TV rights and are more comfortable producing Spider-Man content then they are X-Men/FF (which I imagine will change in the near future), at least from a business standpoint.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Personally I'm not sure what incentive there would be for DisMarvel to partner with Sony for a cartoon when they have the animation/TV rights and are more comfortable producing Spider-Man content then they are X-Men/FF (which I imagine will change in the near future), at least from a business standpoint.
Hopefully they will do it from an artist standpoint, it seems that Marvel has no passion when it comes to their animated projects and hopefully they will let other studios take a gander at them(imagine if Studio Mercury or the people behind Lastman or Rise of the TMNT)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Hopefully they will do it from an artist standpoint, it seems that Marvel has no passion when it comes to their animated projects and hopefully they will let other studios take a gander at them(imagine if Studio Mercury or the people behind Lastman or Rise of the TMNT)
The biggest argument in favor of letting Sony do a Spider-Man cartoon is that Disney sucks at it.

Mr.O

The biggest argument in favor of letting Sony do a Spider-Man cartoon is that Disney sucks at it.
This is too true. Will they simply step back and admit defeat to Sony? Because it's obvious nothing they (EDIT: Marvel Animation) produces will have the effort put in to compete, or even hold a candle to it.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
This is too true. Will they simply step back and admit defeat to Sony? Because it's obvious nothing they (Disney) will produce will have the effort to compete, or even hold a candle to it.
I don't know if I'd go that far.

I think a Disney produced Spider-Man cartoon would probably be different from the cartoons done in-house by Marvel Animation.

Mr.O

I don't know if I'd go that far.

I think a Disney produced Spider-Man cartoon would probably be different from the cartoons done in-house by Marvel Animation.
Yes. You're right. Disney has been doing great recently. Marvel Animation is what I meant.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts