"Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse" Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Release date:
Part One "Across the Spider-Verse" - June 23, 2023
October 7th, 2022
April 8th, 2022

Part Two "Beyond the Spider-Verse" - March 29, 2024

Via the Hollywood Reporter, Sony Pictures Animation is already working on a sequel to the upcoming Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse animated feature. There are not too many details available yet; the thread will be updated as more info is released.

Joaquim Dos Santos, known for his work on cartoon series Avatar: The Last Airbender and, more recently, Netflix’s Voltron series, has been tapped to direct the sequel. David Callaham, who penned The Expendables and worked on Wonder Woman 1984 as well as Zombieland 2, is writing.
Amy Pascal, who is a producer on Spider-Verse as well as the live-action movies, will be back in the producer’s chair for these projects. Phil Lord and Chris Miller, the brainiacs behind Spider-Verse, are expected to be creatively involved, although no deals have been made. Avi Arad and Christina Steinberg are also expected to return in some capacity.
Details for the sequel are not being revealed but seeds have been planted in the upcoming inaugural outing, in which the mixed race character Miles Morales takes center stage.

Comments?

Related discussions
:
"Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)
Untitled Spider-Women Sony Animated Movie in Development

Last edited:

thisguyisnotcool

Smart move building a animated universe. Sony must be confident in Into the Spider-Verse. Also congrats to Dos Santos and Montgomery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Wow, I've been wanting to see Joaquim Dos Santos take a crack at Spider-Man for a while now, but I never thought I'd actually see it happen :D.

Sorry Marvel, I think Sony has officially beaten you when it comes to Spider-Man in animation :p.

Ordinarily I would question immediately greenlighting a sequel so soon and comment on Sony's typical overconfidnece, but considering the movie looks good and the positive buzz, I guess I can't blame them this time :).

I do wonder whether Miles will still be the protagonist of this movie and how they might approach it.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Well, I'm not surprised given the anticipation of the film and given that both JDS and LM have worked on a lot of good stuff, I have faith in them. That being said, I still think Sony should just give the live-action Spider-Man film rights back to Marvel so they could keep the Venom film rights and co-share the theatrical animated Spider-Man film rights with Marvel since I'm still sceptical on Morbius, Silk, Nightwatch, Silver Sable, Black Cat and Kraven the Hunter will be made plus I just rather not want Arad, Tolmach and Pascal to continue being involved in the webslinger.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
I've been wanting Marvel to make Spidey animated movies ever since they got the TV rights back but they let me down so much with their animation department and the types of projects they typically make instead. Can't believe I'm saying it but Sony actually is actually the one coming in clutch. Spider-Verse looks beautiful and probably is going to be awesome if the buzz is anything to go by (and them already ramping up 2 more).

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I've been wanting Marvel to make Spidey animated movies ever since they got the TV rights back but they let me down so much with their animation department and the types of projects they typically make instead. Can't believe I'm saying it but Sony actually is actually the one coming in clutch. Spider-Verse looks beautiful and probably is going to be awesome if the buzz is anything to go by (and them already ramping up 2 more).

Well, I do hope Marvel improves their animation studios soon and moving away from their current dork age.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SweetShop209

Given how Sony doesn't have the rights to create a Spiderman tv show anymore, this potential movie franchise is essentially their way to go about it.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Sony is why there should be such a thing as animated rights.
It's honestly a bit of a shame cause they're doing more interesting things with the property in animation than Marvel was willing to. Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2017 are ok shows (the latter moreso) but feel more by the numbers compared to Sony's offerings like Spectacular, TNAS, and this movie.

Frontier

Staff member
It's honestly a bit of a shame cause they're doing more interesting things with the property in animation than Marvel was willing to. Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2017 are ok shows (the latter moreso) but feel more by the numbers compared to Sony's offerings like Spectacular, TNAS, and this movie.
At the very least I think a Sony produced Spider-Man cartoon would have better looking animation then Marvel's Spider-Man/Spider-Man 2017.

Mr.O

Do you guys think that if Sony did have the animated TV rights for Spider-man, they'd make a series focused on Miles due to all of the hype?

lowell

Could there be a copyright fight if they decided to call the spinoff Spider-Force since there is some protection over A-Force in case that would become an MCU movie in the near future? Also, this feels like a small tide to keep Sony Pictures afloat, once a CBS-Viacom reunion is done (with maybe Take Two Interactive joining), Sony's going to want to scale as they're the last ones to make a move (they hired someone for M&A this summer) and the Redstones's ultimate goal is to sell their merged asset holding and be done with private ownership of entertainment. But it does allow them to have strong libraries as WarnerMedia and Disney, rival IPs like Nickelodeon and Star Trek, a broadcast network, a cable networks group, a premium TV network, a book publisher, and a movie studio that can rejuvenate their annual slate and streaming ambitions. Perhaps Spongebob which is worth $13 billion, might be enough for Sony to offload their Spider-Man, Men In Black, and Muppet distribution rights to Disney. P.S.: So sad that the Spongebob creator died, hope the family will make it through this rough period.

Dudley

Staff member
I figured they'd make a sequel, and I'm not surprised they announced it before it was released. Most movies do have sequels in development, but choose not announce it, depending on how confident they are in the first one. Besides, "development" is such a loose term, and they could scrap the sequel instantly if Spider-verse bombs.

But wow, with Joaquim Dos Santos involved, this will be pretty great. I wonder what will they'll do for a sequel. Maybe Miles will just go and explore the multiverse and we get to visit everyone's worlds, with awesome style changes in each one. Should be a visual treat.

I hope this success will lead to more theatrical superhero animated films. I feel a lot more can be done in animation as a medium as opposed to live-action.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It's cool to see Dos Santos and Montgomery getting shots at big screen animation. Through all of the DC stuff, Korra, Voltron, G.I. Joe Resolute, etc, I really enjoyed their work together and apart over the last decade. Of the studios to have the most promising superhero or action animation, I didn't expect it would be Sony. I really hope Spider-Verse is successful.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Just noticed this, but the article was updated to mention David Callaham (The Expendables, Wonder Woman 1984, Zombieland 2) is writing the sequel.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts