"Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and discuss "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse!"

• Total voters

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
So I finally watched this movie. I'm pretty late on this bandwagon. I meant to rent it ages ago, but I kept putting it off. I finally decided to watch Into the Spider-Verse on Netflix. It was a really great movie. Visually speaking, it's a masterpiece. They clearly put in a lot of effort with the animation and it paid off immensely even in the preview clips I saw before watching the movie. The backgrounds, the fight scenes and character designs were all just amazing. It really felt like a comic book turned CGI, which it kind of was in a sense.

Miles was a solid lead and it was smart to center the movie around him. I think he's the most well known Spider Man besides Peter at this point. He's fun, likable and he felt like a teenage kid trying to deal with these new powers and dangerous situations he was thrown into. While I knew that the Spider Man of his universe would need to die to move the story forward, it was still surprisingly brutal. It was also kind of sad that he wanted to teach Miles how to help him with his new powers, but didn't get the chance. The dynamic between Miles and Peter B. was pretty great though. Peter B. definitely came off as a much more jaded Spider Man, but he had been Spider Man I think twice as long as the other Peter did, so the same could have happened to him over time. Peter B. started off wanting to avoid teaching Miles, but he slowly started to see more of Miles' potential and was being more of a parental figure towards him near the end of the movie, which fit pretty well with his conflict. He was avoiding his responsibilities. Even his attempt to sacrifice himself to save the multi-verse could be read as Peter B. not wanting to even try to make up with his MJ, but he realized that he may actually want kids by getting to know and help Miles. Aunt May and Peter B. meeting each other was also quite touching given that they were effectively seeing a loved one who was already long gone in their worlds. I imagine it would have given them both more sense of closure knowing that there's at least some worlds out there with Peter Parker and Aunt May out there.

Gwen doesn't get as much focus, but her dynamic with Miles was pretty cool and it made sense that they did connect pretty well. Gwen was in Miles' shoe not that long ago, while all of the other Spider Man characters had more experience. Plus, they were in the same age range, so that probably helped. The rest of the cast didn't get much attention, but I didn't mind that too much. They were pretty cool and they really wanted to go all out with the multi-verse concept.

I wasn't expecting Kingpin to be the major villain, but his motivation was kind of fitting in a sense. All of the other Spider Man characters lost people that they cared deeply for and blamed themselves, but they learned from that grief and were more determined to become heroes. Kingpin was the exact opposite. His family fled after they saw him fighting Spider Man and died in an accident. Instead of realizing that he was ultimately to blame, Kingpin put all of the blame on Spider Man and instead of dealing with his grief in a healthy manner, he was set on getting his family from another universe, regardless of the consequences.

Admittedly, I'm not sure why Miles' uncle was working for Kingpin, but that might have been hinted at earlier in the movie and I just missed it. Even though this is a Spider-Man story and uncles/father figures seem to always die, I didn't think that they'd do that since the other Peter was already kind of Miles' version of Uncle Ben. Granted, there really wasn't anything Miles could have done to save his Peter. They most likely both would have been killed if he did step in, assuming that seeing Miles in danger didn't give Peter a second wind of strength, but watching Spider Man die while he did have powers that could have been used to help did weigh heavily on Miles for the rest of the movie. Losing his uncle was a much more personal loss and seeing him be shot like that was pretty intense, but I didn't really expect them to go in that direction. I was relieved that they didn't have Miles' father think that the new Spider Man had killed his brother by the end of the movie though. I thought that they'd make that conflict more cliched than it needed to be. I'm not a comic experts, but I thought that Miles' parents knew about his secret identity in the comics. I might be mixing him up with Blue Beetle though.

This movie was a really effective origin story for Miles and seeing him fly around New York in his own suit for the first time was just beautiful. He was really able to come into his own Spider Man by the end and the journey was quite satisfying. One detail that I really liked was how all of the different Spider Man characters were initially surprised to see each other. Even the other Peter told Miles that he thought he was the only one when they first met. Spider Man has always been about using great power to handle great responsibilities, but that comes with a lot of stress and sacrifices, which often overwhelms Peter, at least in the shows that I've seen. Knowing that there are other people in different universes having to deal with the same kind of struggles would be reassuring for them since not a lot of other people could understand what they have to deal with as super heroes.

The theme of how anyone can wear the mask was also handled nicely and fit with the general multi-verse premise. Spider Man doesn't have to be specifically Peter Parker. He can be a different character completely and it works because the core themes of Spider-Man are still present in their stories and actions. They're all characters who have to deal with handling so much responsibilities with their powers. I think it also fits with how none of the characters felt alone anymore because they weren't the one and only Spider Man dealing with these tough choices.

I think one reason why the movie got so much attention besides the visuals is because it is pretty unique in general among superhero movies. It is a really solid origin story for Miles, but it also feels like a celebration of Spider Man's history and legacy. They made a lot of references to past movies, games and shows. They even had some good old classic Spider Man meme humor thrown in there for good measure, which were pretty fun moments. I think that helped to make the movie stand out more in an age where we get a ton of superhero movies. That isn't to say other contemporary superhero movies are bad, especially when I haven't seen a lot of them anyway, but I don't think that there are a lot of movies like Into the Spider-Verse in that regard.

I'm glad that I watched this movie since it was solid fun and it lived up to the hype pretty nicely. I'm glad that there is a sequel in the works. They did have a bit of sequel baiting before and after the credits. I don't think I would have been upset if they didn't get a sequel since the main conflict was resolved nicely, but it's still pretty neat, even if it's delayed for a couple of years. It's a shame, but completely understandable and hopefully the production team will be able to stay safe. While I'm curious what the sequel could be about, I wish that we could get a TV series centered around Miles too. I kind of want to see more of his world, see more of his relationship with his family, especially if he does tell them about being Spider Man, and what different villains he can face in this universe. I think it would make another animated Spider Man series feel more refreshing if it was about Miles instead of Peter. Miles is certainly popular and recognizable enough from both the comics and this movie. Not to mention he has been a prominent cast member in two other Spider Man animated series, so I don't think it would be a huge risk to make him the star instead. I'm not sure if they'll do it for a few reasons, especially when one of the main appeals of this movie was to see different versions of Spider Man and they can't really do that for a series given how they can't stay in different dimensions for that long, but it would still be pretty neat. I'd love to see Miles become a more experienced Spider Man over time and flesh out more of his own cast of characters.

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016
I wish that we could get a TV series centered around Miles too. I kind of want to see more of his world, see more of his relationship with his family, especially if he does tell them about being Spider Man, and what different villains he can face in this universe. I think it would make another animated Spider Man series feel more refreshing if it was about Miles instead of Peter. Miles is certainly popular and recognizable enough from both the comics and this movie. Not to mention he has been a prominent cast member in two other Spider Man animated series, so I don't think it would be a huge risk to make him the star instead. I'm not sure if they'll do it for a few reasons, especially when one of the main appeals of this movie was to see different versions of Spider Man and they can't really do that for a series given how they can't stay in different dimensions for that long, but it would still be pretty neat. I'd love to see Miles become a more experienced Spider Man over time and flesh out more of his own cast of characters.
I remember hoping that I would hear an announcement of a Miles series after leaving the theaters. Unfortunately, I still haven't heard or seen any news of the sort. Also, Miles' parents are aware of his identity in the comics. His uncle was also still alive and reformed last I checked. Really glad you liked Spider-verse!

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I remember hoping that I would hear an announcement of a Miles series after leaving the theaters. Unfortunately, I still haven't heard or seen any news of the sort. Also, Miles' parents are aware of his identity in the comics. His uncle was also still alive and reformed last I checked. Really glad you liked Spider-verse!
Interesting. I had stopped read comics for a while before they dissolved the Ultimate comics. At the time, Aaron died as a heartless villain, Rio died after learning Miles' secret during Venom's attack on her ER, and Jefferson abandoned Miles after he learned the secret. It looks as though they cleaned a lot of that since the last Secret Wars event.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr.O

thisguyisnotcool

Mar 13, 2011
Union, NJ
Are we living in Miles' world? Because Clone High is coming back :p
Interesting. I had stopped read comics for a while before they dissolved the Ultimate comics. At the time, Aaron died as a heartless villain, Rio died after learning Miles' secret during Venom's attack on her ER, and Jefferson abandoned Miles after he learned the secret. It looks as though they cleaned a lot of that since the last Secret Wars event.

Indeed. In fact in the current run Miles has a baby sister

Reactions: Mr.O

Mr.O

Sep 21, 2016

Yeah. After the main universe was restored, Miles moved there and Molecule Man decided to reward him with a clean slate: All of his close friends and family where brought back to life and moved to the main universe too. There was some drama around his identity at first, but last I checked his family life has been pretty much straitened up.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Spotlight

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The winner is "ScoobyNatural" due to getting 2 votes. "Halloween Night At The Museum" got 1 vote. The next matchup is Billy And Mandy crossovers. We have "Modern Primitives" (with Fred Flintstone) and Grim Adventures Of The KND (with Codename Kids Next Door).

Would you believe I was first exposed to Angelica Hale through here?
Oh look at that. My cable provider wants me to pay even MORE money just so I can watch the new Owl House episode on DisneyNow. Are you kidding me?
The winner is "Let's Meet Sonic", which got 3 votes. "Monster Party" got 1 vote. The next matchup is animated crossovers with live action shows. This time it's between "Halloween Night At The Museum" (Ultimate Spiderman & Jessie) and ScoobyNatural (Supernatural & Scooby Doo).

If schedule listings are to be believed, it appears as though Toonami will be airing reruns of DBS' Universe Survival Saga starting tonight.