"Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and discuss "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse!"

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Remember that Christmas album mentioned in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse? Well, it's now a real thing! Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - A Very Spidey Christmas is now available from Sony Music Masterworks. Voiced by cast members of the Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, the five-track EP reimagines classic holiday favorites with Spider-man inspired lyrics. The track list is below:

1. Joy to the World - Shameik Moore
  2. Spidey-Bells (A Hero's Lament) - Chris Pine
  3. Deck the Halls - Jake Johnson
  4. Up on the House Top - Chris Pine
  5. The Night Before Christmas 1967 (Spoken Word) - Jorma Taccone

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I wanted to see a theatrical animated Spider-Man movie for most of my life. This wasn't the movie I pictured in my head but I absolutely loved it. It was such a beautiful flick. Great animation, great story, great references, great action. It was such a grear love letter to everything Spider-Man.

Those tributes at the end were very touching, too . This was First Class, Sony. It's your move, Disney.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
I just realized if Peter Parker in Miles universe is blonde does that mean Flash Thompson is a Brunette

Spider-Man

I wanted to see a theatrical animated Spider-Man movie for most of my life. This wasn't the movie I pictured in my head but I absolutely loved it.
One of the reasons I really like this movie was how surprising it is. It gave us something we didn't even know we wanted until we saw it. It's such a great movie. I've seen it three times already and I hope to catch it at least once more before it leaves theatres. This is also one of the few movies where I preferred the 3D version over the 2D version. I've been recommending this movie to whoever I can and while people are aware of it seems that since it's animated people are just dismissing it. I wish people in North America weren't so afraid to watch animated movies or were at least more willing to give it a shot. I still can't believe we got such a great movie as of this and how it embraces diversity and inclusion, which is so important. I don't think a mainstream animated movie is going to come out for some time that will top this one.

@SweetShop209 I would still like to know why you rated this movie so low. Have you seen it?

Wonderwall

Staff member
Just saw it this morning and I really enjoyed it. Its definitely in the top spider man movies for me, certainly rank it above every movie post 2004. But it was easily the funniest spider man movie. And has the best action of all of them.

The animation was great, it could have looked janky like what dragon prince kinda looks like, but it was never distracting to me.

Also as a latino man who was born and raised by immigrants I appreciated that while Miles is half latin, he doesnt pepper his dialogue with random Spanish or say stereotypical stuff like "ese" or "vato". One, that wouldnt make sense since hes a new Yorker so I'm assuming his mom is Puerto Rican, not Mexican. But also...we dont do that. Miles is a far mor realistic interpretation of growing up Latin American than say blue beetle in young justice, who is so phony. He speaks Spanish to his mom and a few if his latino friends. That's it. I know I wrote a lot about just a tiny aspect but it's always been a pet peeve of mine that I'm glad they didnt do.

I hope those sequels and spin offs happen, I would love to try to work on something like this :)

RainbowCupcake

Evil for extra credit.
Saw it today a few hours ago. I'm not a superhero fan, but as an animation fan, I still found this film to be incredibly enjoyable. The animation was just so cool. My dad and I were in awe the entire time while watching. I seriously hope Sony does more films in this style, regardless of whether or not they are superhero films.

I liked all of the characters. Miles was relatable and well-developed; he seemed like a real, normal kid. Shameik Moore was fantastic; his acting came very naturally. I enjoyed seeing all of the different Spider-people; my favorite was Peni, but Peter Porker was enjoyable as well (I actually laughed out loud when he said, "That's all, folks," and Miles went, "Is he allowed to say that legally?") The only character I didn't like was the main villain; he seemed almost too big, even for a cartoon, so I found him somewhat hard to believe. Prowler also creeped me out a little.

The action was riveting and definitely kept me interested. The different shots and angles that were used to showcase it off gave it sort of its own style that you don't see in every action-oriented story. Everything is fast-paced but doesn't feel rushed. Your eyes continue to move with action and you're never stuck in one place, which keeps things from getting boring. The action reminded me a little of some of the scenes in The Lego Movie.

There were a few things in here I found to be a little predictable/cliche, like Kingpin's backstory, Uncle Aaron turning out evil and "Gwanda" turning out to be Gwen Stacy/Spiderwoman. They didn't bring down the movie, but I wasn't shocked when each of them was revealed. I also kind of rolled my eyes at how quickly Miles was able to learn everything about being Spiderman. Sure, he's the underdog and the plot called for it, but really? He goes from screwing up multiple times to being a darn-near perfect Spiderman.

Overall, this was a masterpiece. Not only was it well animated, action-packed and funny, but the characters were well-written in an interesting, creative story. Bravo!

On a side note, the Stan Lee cameo and that freaking end credits scenes were also two nice additions to the film. R.I.P. Stan Lee.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
There were a few things in here I found to be a little predictable/cliche, like Kingpin's backstory, Uncle Aaron turning out evil and "Gwanda" turning out to be Gwen Stacy/Spiderwoman. They didn't bring down the movie, but I wasn't shocked when each of them was revealed.
When it comes to the reveal about Uncle Aaron, those who are familiar with the Spider-Man comics would be well aware of that twist from the beginning.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I still feel like the emotional outcome was great especially Prowler's reaction to Miles
Yes, I thought it was more effective for things to go the way they did in the movie rather than how they did in the comics, where it seemed as though any sort of familial relationship went out of the window as soon as Aaron discovered Miles' powers, and decided that he could manipulate him. I honestly prefer the way most of Miles' origin story is handled here over the comic version.

Last edited:
Yes, I thought it was more effective for things to go the way they did in the movie rather than how they did in the comics, where it seemed as though any sort of familial relationship went out of the window as soon as Aaron discovered Miles' powers and that he could manipulate him. I honestly prefer the way most of Miles' origin story is handled here over the comic version.
I like the way they handle Prowler in general, the voice acting, the costume (which seems to be "how close can we push his costume towards Spawn without getting sued?"), his movements, and especially his sound design. He's a man that's done terrible things, but that doesn't make his love for his family any less genuine, but he's shown as ruthless enough through the film that for a second you believe that he's putting Miles' mask back on so he can go through with it.

Also I'm not sure if the whale noise is supposed to be diagetic or not.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

I'd almost complain I was expecting more, but truthfully I only was antsy during the first third to half of the picture. The origin story was boilerplate in my mind. It's only when fat Peter Parker and Miles hook up that the story starts interesting me. And in fairness to the movie, things wound up getting pretty dang interesting. The movie was also super funny too.

Honestly, the ending was bananas, as was the post credits tag. The movie was a little more darker and adult than I like, but not by much, and I'm a prude so you shouldn't take that complaint seriously. The animation, while choppy, was also beautiful. I love how all of the different Spider-Mans were done in a different art style.

I want a Peter Porker spin-off movie now. But honestly, if somebody DOES make a Spider-Ham movie or TV show I don't want it to be Sony. I want it to be people who can use the entire Marvel Spider-Hamverse including the Incredible Hulkbunny and the X-Bugs. But this is how you do Spider-Ham right, Ultimate Spider-Man.

Kingpin was only a so-so villain, but I liked the pathos of Uncle Aaron being Prowler. Mahershala Ali was amazing in the role. Of course, Ali is pretty much amazing in every role.

One small joke I liked was the Rubik's Cube confounding Spider-Man Noir. That was awesome.

Good explanation on Gwen's punk haircut there.

I was annoyed Mary Jane didn't seem to know Wilson Fisk was a bad guy, and the one who killed Peter. That award show made me angry for that reason. That seemed like a plot oversight to me. You'd think Peter would have clued her in about Fisk long ago.

Doc Ock was a pleasant surprise, and I seem to recall hearing she'd be in the movie somewhere, but since I don't obsess about spoilers before a movie opens, I had totally forgotten. That fight at Aunt May's house was pretty awesome too.

I have no real complaints other than I was a little slow to warm up it. Once things got going, the movie was excellent. ****.

tucsoncoyote

Time to get my "Game face" on
Let's be honest and I mean truly honest here.. What in Uncle Ben's name did SOony Pictures do
RIGHT? !!!!:oops:!

Does this movie deserver an Oscar? yes!!!:D the

I think this is what we all want.. to see this movie, the last of 2018 be the one that knocks the ball outta the park..

And believe me even the late Stan Lee's last four words said it best..

Stan Lee; It will fit... eventually..

Thsi movie went beyond fitting it was so good, so well made that even today's people who write comic books never could imagine how good a movie could be, cause this wasn't a moive.. it was a well animated comic book!

So was a bad moive? No.. and believe me it's not.. I loved the entire thing from start to finish, and in fact, this movie should be put on the Nomiation for anOscar.. Anyone who says it doesn't shouldgo see Doctor Olivia Octavius for a second opinion (and I loved how they actualoly did something right? Give us a female Doc Ock!

God This movie was soo good, I hope it is in theaters next month, I want to go see it again..

(And this is the first time I'll repeat a movie the last time I did was The Incredibles way back in 2004..

So yeah into the Spiderverse a plus on this coyote's gradecard

Nuff Said, and Excelsior to you stan.. you might get that Oscar yet for just 4 simple words.. It'll fit.. Eventually.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Apparently John K. is FINALLY finished with 'Cans Without Labels'.
I was never a big fan of Hannah Montana, but it had the best brother-sister relationship I have ever seen on TV.
I'll Be making February 2019 Nick Premieres on Tuesday or Thursday.
lots of things might be scheduled ones that include Crashletes, Double Dare (Special & S1 Finale), LSBS (S2 Finale), More Henry Danger and Cousins For Life... Knight Squad (S2 Premiere), The Loud House, SpongeBob, RainbowButterflyUnicornKitty, Sunny Day, Peppa Pig & Lots More...
SPECULATION So, I've decided the only CN originals we could see added to Boomerang this year are Dexter's Laboratory and Codename: Kids Next Door, already among the most requested shows on the platform. Everything else is on CN On Demand through the end of the year or on Hulu, and we may not see those until 2020 at the earliest. This does not include some of the lesser-known CN stuff.
RTP and SIC did reports on Popeye's 90th. Only SIC mentioned the new web series wothout even mentioning its criticism. Both didn't even mention Wimpy. Maybe he merged with Homsar because of a wrench.