"Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (Disney+ Animated Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

ZackSmith1

I respect that fact they are doing an MCU animated tie-in, but I wish that Marvel would have instead teamed up with Sony to do a revival of Spectacular Spider-Man. If Sony and Marvel are on good terms especially with there Live Action film deal then they should have no problem doing such thing with a revival.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I guess there's more wishful thinking now that Marvel is actually reviving one of its older shows with X-Men '97, but I kind of doubt Spectacular will continue anytime soon, if ever. I presume they will just make a new Spidey cartoon every few years, sort of like they have been doing so far.

Frontier

Staff member
That's the only conceivable way I could see them continuing this.

Of course I guess that would probably means we'll have just an MCU Spider-Man cartoon instead of anything else save for Amazing Friends :sweat:.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The initial info sure was frustratingly vague. I really hope they have the movie cast involved. That's instant credibility right there.

They've said in the past they didn't show the origin story again because they didn't want to repeat themselves again. Yet here we are, I guess the majority of the season will show how he gets his powers, Uncle Ben's death, making his webshooter, figuring out the formula, and deciding to be a vigilante in his makeshift costume. Maybe how he first met Ned and Michelle.

I guess the season ends with his big accomplishment of stopping the bus in that video Tony found during Civil War. But then today's rumor is odd, so is season 2 going to be a story set between Spider-Man 4 and 5 or between Civil War and Infinity War?

Frontier

Staff member
The initial info sure was frustratingly vague. I really hope they have the movie cast involved. That's instant credibility right there.
I imagine it'll be like What If where they'll try to get back as many people as they can. The big question mark is Tom Holland since there were apparently corporate reasons he couldn't come back for What If.
They've said in the past they didn't show the origin story again because they didn't want to repeat themselves again. Yet here we are, I guess the majority of the season will show how he gets his powers, Uncle Ben's death, making his webshooter, figuring out the formula, and deciding to be a vigilante in his makeshift costume. Maybe how he first met Ned and Michelle.
This is seriously just reminding me of the origin shorts from the last Spider-Man cartoon that was basically all of that in short format :p.
I guess the season ends with his big accomplishment of stopping the bus in that video Tony found during Civil War. But then today's rumor is odd, so is season 2 going to be a story set between Spider-Man 4 and 5 or between Civil War and Infinity War?
If we get a continuation it would make the most sense to fill in the gap between movies. So probably between Homecoming -> Infinity War and Endgame -> FFH.

Personally I'm fine with it being a one-and-done so we can get original Spider-Man content but that's probably not in the cards.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I imagine it'll be like What If where they'll try to get back as many people as they can. The big question mark is Tom Holland since there were apparently corporate reasons he couldn't come back for What If.
I figured Hudson Thames would "reprise" but today's rumor stressed how buddy-buddy Disney and Sony are about Spidey...

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Of course I guess that would probably means we'll have just an MCU Spider-Man cartoon instead of anything else save for Amazing Friends :sweat:.
Personally I'm fine with it being a one-and-done so we can get original Spider-Man content but that's probably not in the cards.
Unless Sony wants to expand the Spider-Verse world further when every major studio seems to be full steam ahead on streaming tv spinoffs. Get Titmouse & Flying Bark to work something out.

Amazing Friends is definitely the de-facto "original" Spider-Man content until we get to the mid or late 2020s.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
On one hand, it would be nice to have early confirmation the show could last a few seasons, but I am still not sure how this will exactly work. The Disney+ Marvel shows so far have done a pretty good job setting up the next few movies though, so I am kind of interested in seeing how this will play out.

Spider-Man

I heard a rumor that "Freshman Year" refers to college/university, not grade school, so I'm eager to hear more on where this could do. If it's post-"Spider-Man: No Way Home," I'm especially interested to see how it'll play out. and can't wait for more details.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The description released by Marvel makes it sound like it's supposed to be Spidey's origin, so before Civil War. Though I would actually prefer seeing something set in the present MCU (if it has to be set in that continuity) than a prequel to what was shown already since that only limits what they can do.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I heard a rumor that "Freshman Year" refers to college/university, not grade school, so I'm eager to hear more on where this could do. If it's post-"Spider-Man: No Way Home," I'm especially interested to see how it'll play out. and can't wait for more details.
When all I heard was the name, that was my hope but all the press seems to say otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Last Spider

Arachnid Dude
Well I'm ready see Uncle Ben get shot again.
At least so people can shut up about it, that's already one major pro of this series as far as I'm concerned.

reflection01

When all I heard was the name, that was my hope but all the press seems to say otherwise.

I don’t know why they’d animate what would others be in live action. It also seems like doing so would anger Sony. Makes a lot more sense for this to be set pre-Civil War.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brodie999

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I don’t know why they’d animate what would others be in live action. It also seems like doing so would anger Sony. Makes a lot more sense for this to be set pre-Civil War.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I wasn't hoping for it to be MCU either. I'm just going off of what I thought when I heard the title.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
November 22:

It seems like Meg Syverud might be a storyboard artist for the show. Her Twitter profile says she's currently at Marvel. She's only worked on two projects, both as a storyboard artist, Teen Titans Go Vs Teen Titans and the Animaniacs revival.

December 24:

Starting next month, Li Cree will work on the show. She previously worked as a storyboard artist for Star Trek Lower Decks and the Rugrats reboot.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts