"Spider-Man: Freshman Year (Disney+ Animated Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I wonder how much is going to happen within that one freshman year. Will it be a multiple season show or a limited series? Would we actually see MCU Uncle Ben and their take on the origin story? Would it have the same content level as the movies? I'd guess we're not going to really see any super villains unless they're very street level or prototypes. Heck, it could be more focused on slice of life aspects than the actual superheroing.

I wonder if this is going to be pre-Spider-Bite since Peter has glasses here. His outfit defintiely looks like his Ditko-era civilian clothes.

For some reason it makes my head go to Untold Tales of Spider-Man which was one of my favorites Spider-Man books when I was a kid, because of the low price and for everything else that makes a comic good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Hopefully it's the best effort since Spectacular. Leonardo Romero's a great artist and a great fit for a retro-style Spidey show, but I'm not keen at all on this being part of the MCU. I like the pre-Civil War homemade suit just fine but I do not want that to be the only thing he wears in a cartoon that might actually finally visually look good again. Maybe they'll figure out a way to get him in another suit in that period, Marvel loves putting Spidey in a new suit in every single MCU appearance for toys.

I'd been hoping for Marvel to make a Spidey cartoon with more of a retro-tinge to it but these circumstances aren't exactly what I was wanting.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder how much is going to happen within that one freshman year. Will it be a multiple season show or a limited series? Would we actually see MCU Uncle Ben and their take on the origin story? Would it have the same content level as the movies? I'd guess we're not going to really see any super villains unless they're very street level or prototypes. Heck, it could be more focused on slice of life aspects than the actual superheroing.
I can see future seasons, if there are any, being set in the interim between the other movies.

I do wonder how much actual action or crime-fighting we'll be seeing since they're setting it before Spidey's career even really kicked off in-universe. It just feels like a weird choice.

Like, Marvel's Spider-Man just did it as origin shorts before the series began because, really, that's about what the content required but now it's a whole series about that?
Hopefully it's the best effort since Spectacular. Leonardo Romero's a great artist and a great fit for a retro-style Spidey show, but I'm not keen at all on this being part of the MCU. I like the pre-Civil War homemade suit just fine but I do not want that to be the only thing he wears in a cartoon that might actually finally visually look good again. Maybe they'll figure out a way to get him in another suit in that period, Marvel loves putting Spidey in a new suit in every single MCU appearance for toys.

I'd been hoping for Marvel to make a Spidey cartoon with more of a retro-tinge to it but these circumstances aren't exactly what I was wanting.
The only thing I think that would prevent it from being on par with Spectacular, at least content-wise, is it's status as an MCU tie-in.

Having to be an MCU tie-in feels like it will really limit what it can do with the cast, what characters they can feature, and what they actually are able to show the character do.

You can't really develop the characters beyond what we see in the movie, or expand on the main cast, and you can't use too many name villains unless they're for sure able to confirm that the movies can't use them. You can't really do too many long-running sub-plots or character arcs that don't play off what we see in the movies.

I guess it's kind of comparable to, say, the CG Star Wars cartoons in that respect but I feel like those had more freedom than what this show will have. But maybe I'm underestimating the creativity of the writers.

SweetShop209

I'd say the Star Wars cartoons have less restrictions due to how the core characters are usually those created for the show.

It looks like Sara Jane Sherman might be the voice director here. She started out as a casting director for Disney Television Animation before becoming a voice director. She was the American voice director for 101 Dalmatian Street and also works on the Animaniacs revival and Wolfboy And The Everything Factory.

Last edited:

bigdaddy313

I have a feeling this is going to be just one season about Spider-Man’s origins in the MCU and that’s it.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Make it one 65 episodes long season. :p

Honestly with "Freshman Year" as the title I don't see how this could last more than a season, unless they're planning a title change for each new one. Maybe "Graduation" or something would follow Spidey in the present MCU time-line.

Frontier

Staff member
Make it one 65 episodes long season. :p

Honestly with "Freshman Year" as the title I don't see how this could last more than a season, unless they're planning a title change for each new one. Maybe "Graduation" or something would follow Spidey in the present MCU time-line.
Maybe they do different school years for different periods between the movies...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
It was mentioned earlier in the thread, folks like Tombstone or Silvermane, or the Enforcers could possibly show up. I'm guessing the Burglar who shoots Uncle Ben is a given.

Frontier

Staff member
Who exactly will the villains be? I mean if this takes place in the MCU as a prequel that rules out most villains.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread, folks like Tombstone or Silvermane, or the Enforcers could possibly show up. I'm guessing the Burglar who shoots Uncle Ben is a given.
I don't know if he'll fight any "name" villains since Vulture was his first major threat. Assuming they focus on the crime-fighting at all it would have to be pretty obscure, low-level, threats.

TFormersMarvel

We have more artist confirmation for the series:

Julen Urrutia Perez (who already has a reputation with fan-made Spider-Man artwork), and comic book artist Paolo Rivera. Along with the already revealed Leonardo Romero, the trio will collectively serve as character designers for the series.

Frontier

Staff member
We have more artist confirmation for the series:

Julen Urrutia Perez (who already has a reputation with fan-made Spider-Man artwork), and comic book artist Paolo Rivera. Along with the already revealed Leonardo Romero, the trio will collectively serve as character designers for the series.
I think I remember Paolo Rivera doing concept art for Ultimate Spider-Man that didn't get used.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I think I remember Paolo Rivera doing concept art for Ultimate Spider-Man that didn't get used.
Paolo was one of the artists Joe Quesada got to create concept art for the character designers to use as inspiration. Some of the finalized character designs did look a lot like the concept art.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
The crew confirmed to be involved so far looks pretty good to me. I presume it will be a while until Marvel releases more official announcements in regards to the cast and crew. Especially who'll voice Spidey here, I'm guessing they will go for a bigger name actor for this project.

Frontier

Staff member
The crew confirmed to be involved so far looks pretty good to me. I presume it will be a while until Marvel releases more official announcements in regards to the cast and crew. Especially who'll voice Spidey here, I'm guessing they will go for a bigger name actor for this project.
If it's going to be set in the MCU, the assumption is they'll try and get all the actors back, but there seemed to be some corporate issues that prevented Tom Holland from being in What If so they might need someone else.

I assume other movie characters will probably have their What If VA's if they appear, like Mick Wingert as Iron Man.

Personally I wish they could start completely fresh but that doesn't seem to be the direction they're going on.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Yeah I meant if they can't get Tom Holland for this show, either. Hudson Thames was a pretty good replacement on What If...? but they might want to get someone else for the main role here.

SweetShop209

Coming fresh off the heels of the Amphibia episode "Spider Sprig", a parody of Spiderman, I would pick Justin Felbinger to voice Spiderman here. He's about the right age (he's 19 and could believably play a high schooler). He's also been a lead voice actor before, voicing Miles in Miles From Tomorrowland (a show that had writers from various Marvel cartoons write episodes).

bigdaddy313

Coming fresh off the heels of the Amphibia episode "Spider Sprig", a parody of Spiderman, I would pick Justin Felbinger to voice Spiderman here. He's about the right age (he's 19 and could believably play a high schooler). He's also been a lead voice actor before, voicing Miles in Miles From Tomorrowland (a show that had writers from various Marvel cartoons write episodes).
That’s nice and all but I think the save bet will be the same voice from Marvel Zombies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Then something bad is intensifying!
Asa
Peanuts creator Charles Schultz would've turned 99 years old today.
Lost of Christmas stuff on tonight Frosty and Frosty Returns is on CBS tonight, it's always on the night after Thanksgiving, so is Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer on The CW, and NBC has the Original Grinch, ABC has Santa Claus is Comin' to town (though if you prefer to watch this one un edited Freeform is the better place to watch it )
Nick@nite finally got new Christmas brand just today started 6am!

Featured Posts