• Enter to win two tickets to Howl's Moving Castle. Details here.

"Spider-Man 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and Comment on "Spider-Man 2"

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The Story Continues...

"I want a life of my own. I am Spider-Man...no more." - Peter Parker
Release Date: June 30, 2004
Studio: Columbia Pictures
Director: Sam Raimi
Screenwriter: Alvin Sargent
Starring: Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, Rosemary Harris, J.K. Simmons, Alfred Molina, Brooke Adams, Dylan Baker, Elizabeth Banks, Bruce Campbell, Daniel Gillies, Donna Murphy, Vanessa Ferlito, Ted Raimi
Genre: Action, Adventure
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for stylized action violence)

Plot Summary: Two years have passed, and the mild-mannered Peter Parker faces new challenges as he struggles with "the gift and the curse," desperately trying to balance his dual identities as the web-slinging superhero Spider-Man and his life as a college student. Tormented by his secrets, Peter finds that his relationships with all those he holds dear are in danger of unraveling. His life-long yearning for M.J. (Dunst) becomes even stronger as he fights the impulse to reveal his secret life and declare his love. His friendship with Harry Osborn (Franco) is complicated by the young Osborn's bitterness over his father's death and his growing vendetta against Spider-Man. Even Peter's beloved Aunt May (Harris), who has fallen on hard times after the death of Uncle Ben, begins to have doubts about her nephew. Peter's life is about to become even more complicated as he encounters a formidable new foe -- Dr. Otto Octavius (Molina). Peter must use all the powers at his disposal to try to stop this diabolical madman in his octagonal tracks.

Discuss this movie!

Related Threads:
-Spider-Man Talkback (Spoilers)
-Spider-Man 2 Score Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Spider-Man DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Spider-Man 2 DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

The Penguin

All Hail the King!
Staff member
It has begun!! The midnight showings are upon us! The biggest movie of the summer is here!

Hatter

Oh man, just got back...

It was bloody amazing! I wasn't too fond of the first film, but anything that one did well, this one does better. I never need to watch the original again!

I finally understand what Spider-Man's about... it's not a superhero story like X-Men. It's a love story, wherein the hook/catch/gimmick is that the guy is also trying to be a superhero. It puts the superheroics in a completely different light.

This was a funnier film than the first, with JJJ stealing every scene he's in. He has some classic scenes where he rants about Spidey, which could have come straight from the '60's cartoon or the comic.

Doctor Octopus is so more interesting than the Goblin, it really makes you realize how much they screwed the Goblin up. But watching Doc Ock move or fight... it's entrancing. So graceful, even though he's pounding through the pavement with metal arms.

Any of the Spidey/Doc Ock fight sequences are absolutely mindblowing. Especially the Clock Tower/Train fight. Like watching a ballet of destruction. Completely faithful to their classic encounters.

Some nice tidbits for comic fans, like the "Based on the comic by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko" opening credit, and Alex Ross' wonderful opening paintings.
Even some Marvel-Universe name dropping for sharp-eared fans...

Man, I've definitely got to see this one again. Superheroics, comedy, tragedy and a hell of a lot of heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

GCFyouthcamper

Promoted to Camp Counselor
I laughed a lot in this movie. "My back! My back!" (nice reference to Tobey's real life back problems)

Just noticing some things that were left hanging, or rather to be continued in Spider-Man 3... Harry and Peter didn't get a chance to resolve anything. The fluctuating spider powers.

I like how they managed to put in Norman Osborn and Uncle Ben.

Truth be told, I heard about the ending a long time ago, the part where Harry breaks the mirror. It was strictly rumor back then and was quickly forgotten.

Colin

Oh... this is not good.
Staff member
Administrator
OMG... WOW!

Just got back from the midnight showing, and everything is still sinking in. This movie definitely stands up, if not surpasses the first movie in everything (tho, one does need to see the first movie to fully grasp this one). The animation and effects seemed rather fluid and worked well.

The humor stayed true with the "Hey, we know we're a comic movie" thing that the first film set up.

The ongoing character relationships continue to build, and we see them branch off into several different directions... all being rather believable in their end conclusions...

The endings work well in continuing the story line, and obviously setting up the third and (supposedly) final film in the series. Can't wait to see what the future holds for our webslinger...

In the meantime, I'm certain I'll be seeing this *several* more times... this week ;)

...and the quote I probably would have put up top... "There are bigger things here than you and me." I think that quote really sums up the whole character aspect of the film, showing how Peter is struggling to maintain his relationships with his friends and family while carrying the role of Superhero....

Avery

Queen Frostine
I have no problem with the movie . . . in fact, I loved it, one of my favorites of all time. But I gotta say, I *was* a little dissapointed, mainly becasue everyone kept telling me "OMG! The ending was so surprising!" So I was expecting something BIG. Instead, we got what we did-- whcih was cool and all, but didn't surprise me AT ALL. Like, there was no question in my mind that Harry would end up in th eposition he did. A bit of a letdown.

However, the movie still absolutely rocks my socks.

TRAINS!

Sigma

Simply Phenomenal
I just got back from the midnight showing and wow was it amazing. I loved the first film and this one surpasses it in every way possible. I will more then likely go and see it again!

Samhaine

Time To Relax
I think my favorite scene in the entire movie was Ock's breakout from the hospital. It was one of the only times in both movies where I could clearly tell it was Raimi directing the pic. Those shots reminded me alot of Evil Dead.

Of course, Bruce Cambell was awesome in his little role. And JJJ had the next best scenes. I'm glad they put him in more this time.

But I have to say, it felt like I'd already seen a good chunk of this movie before, 2 years ago, when the first film was released. The fire, Peter on the roof, looking through his glasses - they all just seemed to be retreading his discovery of his powers. I could have done without those parts.

Oh, and I literally groaned when the arms started talking to him, much like the goblin was the one controlling Osborn in the first film. It just ruined things for me.

And while I predicted that the third movie would be Harry as GG, I was hoping that I was wrong. I can't watch the first movie anymore, mainly because of how the scenes between Spidey and Goblin look. The masks moving with no mouths kind of ruins the drama for me. At least in the cartoon his mask moved while he spoke. And I didn't get why Harry was seeing his father as an halucination. It's not like he had the gas in him like his father.

While it may seem like I hated the movie, that is not the case. I thought it was a thoroughly passable action movie. It was better than the first film if for no other reason than the hospital death scene, but I cannot say it deserved the four stars the local newspaper gave it. Two and a half, at most.

creeper

I had written a post right after the movie, but when i hit post reply i had connectivitey problems with toonzone. So I'm writing it now after i have had a few hours to sleep on it.

The movie was great. I loved the whole thing. As a movie all together it was "solid". They did a great job blending the story and the action, which is a feat that most comic book movies fail at *coughhulkcough*. Anyways, they did a great job setting everything up. I like how they created Doc Ock. He was definitley a character with layers, despite his ruthlessness during the movie. Actually having a reason for a villian to be evil is great.

Samhaine said:
And while I predicted that the third movie would be Harry as GG, I was hoping that I was wrong. I can't watch the first movie anymore, mainly because of how the scenes between Spidey and Goblin look. The masks moving with no mouths kind of ruins the drama for me. At least in the cartoon his mask moved while he spoke. And I didn't get why Harry was seeing his father as an halucination. It's not like he had the gas in him like his father.
When you obsess over a subject for a long period of time it tends to do things to your mind. You have to think that Harry had been plotting to get spider-man for the longest time. Then poof he has him and it's his friend Peter. Not to mention all the drinking that he had been doing. Harry is truly a mentally traumatized individual, without the gas. So i imagine that the gas will fortify any mentel stability he has.

The only gripe about the movie is a small one
everyone finding out about peters identity. It would have been better for me if the people that saw him all died. That would definitley fortify his belief about no one knowing in order to protect them. I don't mind the Harry revelation as it was predestined, but all those people...hmmm..

The movie was great. 2 web shooters up.

Killtacular

the race wars had begun
Good.

But I had to take off points because of the absurdly blatant homages to B Movie cinematography. I don't care if Sam Raini directed Evil Dead. Those shots do not belong in this movie. A shot of a woman running up to a camera and screaming exaggeratively looks so ridiculously campy that it makes me feel like I stepped out of Spiderman 2 and into Batman and Robin. Some of the shots where the robot arms are hovering around, snapping their mouths open and closed like there are Muppets supposed to drape over them, really felt stupid. We're supposed to be against Schumakian direction like this, not praising it.

The best scene was in the train where they break the convention of inspirational "You'll have to get through me" crowd scenes.

GCFyouthcamper

Promoted to Camp Counselor
Yo, this IS a spoilers thread so I'm not bothering to put anything in spoiler brackets.

My favorite scene was the train and what the people did regarding his unmasking.

Did anyone notice the impact webbing? It was during the battle on the clock tower. You know, I really expected Peter to build some webshooters when his powers were waning. Perhaps this will happen in the sequel?

FredNash

GiveToMeYourMoneyStupidHo rse!!
GCFyouthcamper said:
I laughed a lot in this movie. "My back! My back!" (nice reference to Tobey's real life back problems)
I didn't think of that, I forgot Tobey had some real life back problems, what I thought it was referencing was right before he jumped when he said "I'm back!" then he falls and limps off saying "My back!"... heh.

Just noticing some things that were left hanging, or rather to be continued in Spider-Man 3... Harry and Peter didn't get a chance to resolve anything. The fluctuating spider powers.
Of course the Harry/Green Goblin thing was left hanging intentionally, but I thought they finished off the powers thing in this movie. He had his moment of doubt, and he overcame it. He decided to be Spiderman, so he's got his powers. I don't think they'll retread this in any subsequent movie, IMO.

Also, I liked the hospital scene! Of course it was obvious that it was taken practically right out of the Evil Dead series (nails on the floor, camera jumping around, chainsaw...) but I didn't think it was cheesy, it was a refreshing change of pace, and set the mood nicely. It was exciting and a little scary, and introduced the 'real' Doc Ock appropriately I thought...

Evil Dr. Reef

The King of Braves
matta2fatta said:
does this mean that maybe the lizard might be the next villian
If Lizard was going to be next, they wouldn't have ended the movie with Harry finding Norman's GG equipment. I think all the stuff with Connors was more comic book homage than future story set-up.

matta2fatta

cuz i eat 2 much pancake batta
i really hope that that green goblin aint the only villian in the 3rd one cause its the same thing from the first one i want someone new spidey isnt spidey without venom

Squall

Calm Before The Storm
matta2fatta said:
does this mean that maybe the lizard might be the next villian
No! :( I want VENOM to be the villian in the final Spider-Man movie! Hopefully Harry as Green Goblin will be a bit part, a villian that Spider-Man dispatches within the first 15 minutes of the movie or so... in a black spidey suit that will turn on him later in the movie :D