Spanish DBZ returns!

Latest News & Videos

G1Ravage

Feb 9, 2002
Ratings
Queens, New York, USA
I used to watch DBZ in Spanish all the time when it was on Telemundo, but it disappeared from their airwaves many months ago. It might have been years ago, but I don't remember. I remember watching part of the Cell saga in Spanish while CN was still showing the Cell saga.

I'm sure many of you here have watched it too at some point, but for those *not* in the know about Spanish DBZ, here's a quick rundown about it, and how it "compares" to the English version:

-The opening sequence uses the last version of Cha La, and for the closing, uses Zenkai Power. The opening is creditless, but the ending has some Spanish credits in there. The songs are translated and sung in Spanish.

-One title card (a picture of Gohan from the ED) is used for all the episodes, but the titles are correctly translated from the Japanese titles.

-In fact, the translation from Japanese into Spanish is VERY good. The script stays true to the Japanese version. The attack names are all kept. The only real name change is Chichi, who is now called Milk.

-The episodes are 95% uncut. None of the violence is cut, but I believe they made a few minor cuts here and there to avoid any serious nudity.

-The voice acting is good, and most of the actors sound a good deal like their Japanese counterparts.

-The Japanese music is kept.

-The eyecatchers are kept

Well, to put it bluntly, the Spanish version is much more faithful to the Japanese version than the English version is. I loved watching this years ago when it was on, and I enjoyed it over FUNi's third season atrocity.

To get to the point of THIS thread: I discovered today that Dragon Ball Z was airing on some Spanish station I have called Latin TV. I saw it in my program guide (I have digital cable). So I tuned in at 5:00 P.M. EDT to watch and relive some memories. They were airing the fourth episode, knee-deep into the battle with Raditz....which probably means that they started airing DBZ this past Monday. Since this isn't Telemundo, these episodes could be totally uncut for all I know. Latin TV actually aired the recap, which Telemundo rarely ever did, and Latin TV's ending sequence had NO credits, so it MUST be a different tape.

I'm thrilled that I'll get to see the Saiyan saga uncut with the Japanese music now. But that's not all the news...

This station ALSO has Spanish Dragon Ball, AND Spanish Dr. Slump! This is sweeeeet.

Here's the apparent schedule:

(Weekdays only?)
9:00 A.M. ------- Dr. Slump
9:30 A.M. ------- Dragon Ball Z (repeat from previous day's 5:00 P.M. airing)
4:00 P.M. ------- Dragon Ball
5:00 P.M. ------- Dragon Ball Z (premiere)

Wanna find this "Latin TV"? In New York City, on Time Warner's Digital Cable service, it's channel 67. You may have it where you live, so check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
Sep 12, 2002
Ratings
Chile
US anime dubbings: A company gets an anime, and takes the liberty to americanize most lines and cut everything that is deemed violent, and distribute it as a completely different version of the original.

Latin anime dubbings: A company gets an anime and translates as faithful to the original as possible, without cutting anything. Then they sell it to various networks in many countries, and each of them is responsible for any possible cuts.

For the record, latin american DBZ is 100% uncut (as shown on CNLA), but some local networks are known to make edits. Remember the scene during the Boo saga were 2 thieves shot to death an elderly couple? A recent airing of that episode on Chilean network MEGA had that scene completely gone.

PowerZord

It's time to change.
Sep 28, 2002
Puerto Rico
www.myspace.com
I alredy seen almost the whole cell saga on telemundo of PR. altough they never finished cell saga. I rented the tapes of the buu saga in spanish. fully uncut.

El cielo resplandece a mi alrebedor! volar es bello brillan en las nubes sin fin.
Como si un volcan hiciera una erupcion! Derrite un gran glacial
Podras ver de cerca al gran dragon!
Cha-La-head-Cha-la.

I forgot the rest.

Altough they din't do a good job on "We gotta power"

DBGT was translated in spain(At least the version i saw.)
In the spain dub they left dandan in japanese and all the ending songs as well.

I know what they edited from trunks memory of the future. they dint showed:
When the androids kill Yajirobe, Tien and Yamcha.

Also there's an possible edit from The cell saga. But I'm not sure if is true.
Chichi and goku in bed, with their sheet covering them. no they weren't shown doin it just shown they in their bed, Maybe creatin gotenks?

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
Sep 12, 2002
Ratings
Chile
powerzord said:
Also there's an possible edit from The cell saga. But I'm not sure if is true.
Chichi and goku in bed, with their sheet covering them. no they weren't shown doin it just shown they in their bed, Maybe creatin gotenks?
I don't think that scene exists, and if it does, it never made it to the Mexican dub.

G1Ravage

Feb 9, 2002
Ratings
Queens, New York, USA
Okay....the 9:30 A.M. episode of DBZ is actually a repeat of the previous day's 5:00 P.M. episode.

I watched Dr. Slump this morning...it was pretty cool. They showed Arale naked in a commercial for it, though. <.<

I'm watching Dragon Ball right now, and it's on episiode five, so it must've started on Monday also. This episode has been edited quite a bit, though. First, they cut the part where Goku "pats" Oolong. Then they cut the scene where Oolong jumps off the boat to escape, and Goku jumps into the water naked to go after him, but Bulma ultimately uses her panties to lure him back to the ship. They also cut Goku peeing when they get to land, and they cut part of the "Oolong poops" sequence. And they're using some strange eyecatchers....

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Aug 25, 2002
Ratings
28 2
somewhere
Ah, Spanish DBZ. I remember watching some of it 3 or 4 years ago on Telemundo. At the time, I could watch DBZ in three different languages on my TV(English, Japanese, and Spanish). I remember flipping the channels early in the morning, and I came across DBZ. The first episode I watched was Vegeta killing Zarbon. This was the first time I saw a Season 2 episode near it's original version. The only edit I remember that Telemundo made(or it was my local affiliate), was they cut Goku cutting his hand while training in the spaceship. They replaced the scene with a frozen shot of the gravity machine. It used to come on my Telemundo at 8:30 a.m. Monday-Friday, but changed it to Sunday at 7:00 a.m. I stopped watching it when I couldn't wake up early enough. I think it used to air on a kids block called Cabeza along with Tenchi Muyo.

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
Ratings
113 2
USA
Visit site
I think DirecTV gets it but it's only included as part of a subscription-based service of extra Spanish channels, which I don't get.:sad: Might be a similar situation for those that have Dish Network.

Glad I have the first two seasons of the Spanish DBZ dub on tape from the Telemundo airings.:) Funimation is planning to redub these episodes uncut but not for awhile.:sad:

SpaceCowboy

Mar 2, 2002
Ratings
113 2
USA
Visit site
G1Ravage said:
Okay....the 9:30 A.M. episode of DBZ is actually a repeat of the previous day's 5:00 P.M. episode.

I watched Dr. Slump this morning...it was pretty cool. They showed Arale naked in a commercial for it, though. <.<

I'm watching Dragon Ball right now, and it's on episiode five, so it must've started on Monday also. This episode has been edited quite a bit, though. First, they cut the part where Goku "pats" Oolong. Then they cut the scene where Oolong jumps off the boat to escape, and Goku jumps into the water naked to go after him, but Bulma ultimately uses her panties to lure him back to the ship. They also cut Goku peeing when they get to land, and they cut part of the "Oolong poops" sequence. And they're using some strange eyecatchers....
And I thought the Spanish channels were generally less paranoid that the English stations about those things. Telemundo was never afraid to show Gohan naked when they aired DBZ.:shrug:

Expect content edits to be similar to the Toonami version, unless they leave the violence in the King Piccolo Saga alone.