"Space Jam 2" Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

SuperSuck64

Lazy Aspiring Cartoonist
If this Instagram post from SpringHill Entertainment (LeBron James' company) is to be believed, apparently they're finally going to make it. Terence Nance (Random Acts of Flyness) is directing and Ryan Coogler (Black Panther) is producing.

I just hope the Looney Tunes are traditionally animated.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Potentially unpopular opinion on an animation board:

Space Jam was nowhere NEAR as bad as Looney Tunes fans say it was. Yeah, it's wasn't GREAT either, but people act like it was the second coming of Cool World. It wasn't. It had some good points.

Besides, any film that has Bill Murray playing himself in the exact manner this movie had him playing himself automatically has merit. Automatically.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
This is the first time it's been acknowledged by anyone actually making it, and not just secondhand rumors and hearsay. Right?

The movie itself is less important that what it could do for the old shorts (and the new ones they're making).

SuperSuck64

Lazy Aspiring Cartoonist

Space Jam was nowhere NEAR as bad as Looney Tunes fans say it was. Yeah, it's wasn't GREAT either, but people act like it was the second coming of Cool World. It wasn't. It had some good points.

Besides, any film that has Bill Murray playing himself in the exact manner this movie had him playing himself automatically has merit. Automatically.
My thoughts exactly. It's dumb, corporate, and dated, but darn it, it's fun.

Light Lucario

Staff member

I'm not even sure if that is an unpopular opinion. Space Jam seems to be pretty well liked online from what I've seen at least. It is a dated 90's commercial in the form of a movie, but that is also what makes it fun and appealing. Granted, nostalgia probably plays a role in how people see the movie too, but it is entertaining.

I'd still be surprised if this sequel comes off the ground. This is more solid proof of the sequel being made than all of the rumors we've heard about for years, but I don't know if they'd go through with it. I guess I'm still a bit skeptical after years of rumors. Getting more Looney Tunes shorts due to the sequel would be pretty neat though.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I think Space Jam (1996) was liked, but "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" (2003) was despised. So despised that it maybe threw some hatred back on "Space Jam" for starting the trend, but...Space Jam was well liked, last I checked.

"Space Jam 2" though? Well, I have my doubts...

SweetShop209

Actually, Back In Action received a bit more praise due to the characters acting more naturally, though Space Jam does have the nostalgia factor and a cool premise.

I'm just curious as to who will voice the Looney Tunes, if it'll be the current voice actors or as many of the originals from the movie. For Granny and Yosemite Sam, it'll obviously be Candi Milo and Fred Tatasciore given that they're the current voices for them on New Looney Tunes, and how June Foray died and Maurice LaMarche threw his voice out for the latter so badly that he had to have a month of vocal rest. For those like Bugs and Daffy, it'll either be Jeff Bergman and Dee Bradley Baker, or maybe Eric Bauza like in the Pete Browngardt shorts.

SuperSuck64

Lazy Aspiring Cartoonist
Yeah, I think Space Jam (1996) was liked, but "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" (2003) was despised. So despised that it maybe threw some hatred back on "Space Jam" for starting the trend, but...Space Jam was well liked, last I checked.

Back in Action is definitely the better movie in terms of faithfulness to its source material. It also helps that it's pretty funny, too. The Walmart joke rivals Wayne's World for "best ironic product placement".

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
If they're making a Space Jam sequel now, I think the plot should have the Looney Tunes and LeBron James go up against an all-female race of athlete aliens similar to the Gems in Steven Universe.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

Looney Tunes Back In Action was made in part in response to backlash from Space Jam. Brendan Fraser trashed the movie a few times in interviews promoting BIA.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Does it even need to be rebooted instead of being a sequel? Just having a different cast should work just fine. Unless they plan to simply do the exact same plot.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today, the Humor + / TV2 Comedy switch took place exactly 1 year ago, if you are watching a camera-free one, here it is: The multi-screen version:
feels like we're getting flashbacks to AOL Time Warner again.
Marcello Prods wrote on KristofLaszlo99's profile.
Welcome, Mr. Tiririririririri
TV2C Schedule
23.00 : American Dad! (AP)
00.00 : Futurama (AP)
01.00 : The Cleveland Show (AP)
02.00 : The Simpsons (AP)
Happy birthday Ashlyn Selich.

Featured Posts