Sony's Marvel Characters Movie News & Discussion (Spoilers), Part 2 (Update: Sony/Disney Deal Back On)

Latest News & Videos

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
They'll keep going until they have a massive failure. I just wish they put more care into making enjoyable movies out of their franchises and not just cranking whatever they could out of them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Well, nowadays (just like times of yore), these franchises didn't care about quality as much as quantity. Going back to the 40's & 50's and slightly before. They'd give you every sequel and spinoff you can imagine.

Honestly, I quite enjoyed the cheese factory of some schlock film series. Even the Resident Evil and Underworld stuff. As for MCU Spider-Man, the only thing that irks me is Feige refusing to use some classic villains like Black Cat or Venom. I mean, I get they want to get to those very CLASSIC ones from Lee & Ditko, but altering the orgins for some (unless done right like Mysterio) is kinda annoying.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Reactions: MegasMilo379

TargetmasterJoe

Jul 1, 2018
USA
As for MCU Spider-Man, the only thing that irks me is Feige refusing to use some classic villains like Black Cat or Venom. I mean, I get they want to get to those very CLASSIC ones from Lee & Ditko, but altering the orgins for some (unless done right like Mysterio) is kinda annoying.

With all due respect, I don't think it's that Feige refuses to use certain villains, but he prefers to build up to them. Like, doesn't Spider-Man meet Black Cat and Venom when he's at college or something?

Or maybe Sony is being stingy with what characters and lore Marvel can use since the movie rights to those characters are strictly with them and Marvel is loaning them out.

The point is that Sony had their way last year when they tried to take back Spider-Man from Marvel and now (based on the Morbius trailer), they get to make micro-references to the MCU, or at least whatever pertains to Spidey.

But now all this talk of TV shows and untitled spin-offs has me thinking Sony is pushing their luck again, so I’m just wondering how much longer will they go until their house of cards topples over...

And hey, if they want to do their own version of Suicide Squad, fine. But why would they reel in Roberto Orci? That's like a farmer taking a snake home, getting bitten by the snake, and then taking the snake back home eight years later.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
With all due respect, I don't think it's that Feige refuses to use certain villains, but he prefers to build up to them. Like, doesn't Spider-Man meet Black Cat and Venom when he's at college or something?

Or maybe Sony is being stingy with what characters and lore Marvel can use since the movie rights to those characters are strictly with them and Marvel is loaning them out.

The point is that Sony had their way last year when they tried to take back Spider-Man from Marvel and now (based on the Morbius trailer), they get to make micro-references to the MCU, or at least whatever pertains to Spidey.

But now all this talk of TV shows and untitled spin-offs has me thinking Sony is pushing their luck again, so I’m just wondering how much longer will they go until their house of cards topples over...

And hey, if they want to do their own version of Suicide Squad, fine. But why would they reel in Roberto Orci? That's like a farmer taking a snake home, getting bitten by the snake, and then taking the snake back home eight years later.
I stand corrected, because this is really a battle of both studios and we're watching the compromises and results.

Reactions: TargetmasterJoe

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Remember those rumors about a movie regarding Jessica Drew, the Spider-Woman?

Looks like they're back with a vengeance with a new rumor saying Feige is interested in teaming with Sony Pictures for a Spider-Woman solo movie.
Honestly, with so closely tied to SWORD, and being a classic female protagonist, I can't blame Feige. Meaning he'll port her over in MCU easy.

Reactions: Frontier

TargetmasterJoe

Jul 1, 2018
USA
Cross-posting from the Far From Home talkback thread:

Deadline calls Spider-Man: Far From Home number 8 in their Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament, echoing how it was the highest-grossing Sony movie since Skyfall.

‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ Reps Sony’s Most Profitable Movie Of 2019: No. 8 In Deadline’s Most Valuable Blockbuster Tournament

Hopefully, this will mean Sony will want to keep the Spider-Man sharing deal with Disney/Marvel. Especially since Morbius and Venom: Let There Be Carnage (formerly known as Venom 2) will be coming much later than anticipated no thanks to the lousy pandemic...

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
Hold on Sony offically name their universe:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Hold on Sony offically name their universe:

I guess it sums it up well enough :p.

Reactions: Rick Jones

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
I guess SPUMC sounds a lot more official than SUMC, the previously reported title. I kind of doubt either one will really catch on though, regardless of how successful their efforts might be.

Reactions: Frontier

TargetmasterJoe

Jul 1, 2018
USA
Man, Sony can't even cook up a good superhero movie universe title.

I still won't be surprised if Morbius ends up with an "eh" performance at the box office and Venom: LTBC winds up being even more polarizing than the first Venom with a more mediocre box office performance...

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
With the current climate we live in, can you really make assumptions like that seeing how probably 40% of the movie audience might not be in the same conditions pre-Covid-19? I can't

TargetmasterJoe

Jul 1, 2018
USA
With the current climate we live in, can you really make assumptions like that seeing how probably 40% of the movie audience might not be in the same conditions pre-Covid-19? I can't

Maybe so, but the point is that I really don't think this SUMC will go anywhere good unless there's a strong influence from Marvel Studios to make sure it isn't so darn subpar.

UPDATE: May 09, 2020:

I had a thought.

If, for any reason, things go sideways with Jared Leto a la the Terrence Howard situation Marvel had years back or the Amber Heard situation allegedly going on at WB, who would you guys want as Morbius?

Moreover, if Sony ends up canning the SUMC to soft-reboot the Spider-Man characters so there's no segregation between Spider-Man and the bad guys getting movies and they ACTUALLY appear in the MCU via the Spider-Man movies, would they fight to keep Tom Hardy as Venom or just say "screw it" and haggle with Marvel to recast the role?

Binge-watching Community on Netflix has me thinking Joel McHale could make a great Eddie Brock if Marvel wants to bring in the more comic book-accurate jerkass Eddie into the MCU...

Last edited: