Sony's Marvel Characters Movie News & Discussion (Spoilers), Part 2 (Update: Sony/Disney Deal Back On)

Latest News & Videos

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
I didn't know that movie was still being made.
Especially since I was hoping for Kraven in Spidey's third MCU movie...
I personally believe this was the bone of contention for SONY and Disney back last year. Notice they immediately announced the Madam Webb film around that time. I've read some "inside sources" hypothesized that they wanted two villains, Venom and Kraven. Who (Disney or SONY) wanted what is unknown; besides that there was also the idea of who was in charge of what? Who gets the credit or blame for what? Based on that rationale, someone deserves more percentage of the pot of gold than others.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

TargetmasterJoe

Jul 1, 2018
USA
Who gets the credit or blame for what? Based on that rationale, someone deserves more percentage of the pot of gold than others.
I bet Disney was fuming when Sony took credit for Homecoming and Far From Home in the Morbius trailer.

I mean, from a legal standpoint, Sony was probably allowed to take credit for HC and FFH, but morally speaking, we all know HC and FFH was only great because of Disney and Marvel Studios.

Does anyone here even expect Morbius to make close to a billion dollars at the box office?

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
May 28, 2014
Kevin Feige, save us from Sony pushing too much too soon...

View attachment 280932
Really, it's almost as if they think they're dealing with robots that don't need rest between jobs...
So, that Kevin Feige can push too much too soon, LOL
These villain solos so far don't come even close to what the precedence has been for phase one progression.

Last edited:

TargetmasterJoe

Jul 1, 2018
USA
So, that Kevin Feige can push too much too soon, LOL
These villain solos so far don't come even close to what the precedence has been for phase one progression.
Okay, fair point. But Sony is acting like Morbius will be a sure-fire hit when it still has 5 months until it actually releases.

Isn't this a lot like Universal's ill-fated Dark Universe?

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
May 28, 2014
Okay, fair point. But Sony is acting like Morbius will be a sure-fire hit when it still has 5 months until it actually releases.

Isn't this a lot like Universal's ill-fated Dark Universe?
The only similarity being horror-themed characters with superhero approaches.
Sony is spending less than the average comic movie let alone a Dark Universe movie, ie lower risk.
They have an actual impossible-to-believe success story in the rear view mirror, ie higher reward.
Any larger -verse connection teased isn't anything new for viewers of cinematic Spidey
as opposed to Universal resting on the laurels of their acting pool to accept this reinvention of the monsters.
Also, Sony's horror-themed characters are the ones from superhero comics.
It took yet another loss at this attempt for Universal to realize an Invisible Man reboot is better off with Blumhouse.

Dating a movie before we know the movie is no different from various projects every studio has in the pipeline tabloids let the people be aware of regardless of how far along those projects actually are.

TargetmasterJoe

Jul 1, 2018
USA
Sony is spending less than the average comic movie let alone a Dark Universe movie, ie lower risk.

They have an actual impossible-to-believe success story in the rear view mirror, ie higher reward.
So Sony is able to press forward with their line of superhero movies via considerably small budgets?

That's actually clever. Let's hope it won't affect the quality of the storytelling.

Reactions: RoyalRubble