Sony Pictures Animation to Make more PG-13 and R-rated movies

Latest News & Videos

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
The head of SPA says thanks to the COVID-19, more animated films targeting older audiences are in development, and she believes other studios will follow suit.

Adult cartoons have proven to be among the most popular content on streaming service, and with live-action production proving to be potentially dangerous during the pandemic, whereas animation can be produced at home, now is the time for studios to embrace animation as a medium instead of as a genre.

What do you think of this news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RainbowCupcake

Oh yeah. It's all coming together.
Dec 3, 2017
United States
I don't think it will be long for adult animated movies to be the "norm" for theatrical features, whether they are released in theaters or on streaming services. I dare to say that even Disney may one day dabble in adult animated movies (well, now that they own Fox, they technically have already).

I'm really not an adult animation person (usually), so while I'm not thrilled about this news, I at least am happy that more and more people are appreciating animation as an art form.

Reactions: Frontier and Pooky

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I'm fine with this is as long as the films produced make good use of the animation as a medium and are diverse in tone and storytelling instead of just defaulting to the "adult animation = raunchy comedy" paradigm.

That they emphasize action-adventure stuff is a good first step in my opinion.

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
One thing I wonder is what these adult animated movies will look like. Will they aim for more realism, like those seen in video games like The Last of Us? Will people flock to see those kind of films?

Making longer-term decisions (decent animation takes years to make) based on COVID-19 is a bad idea, as this isn't the new normal. SPA films usually have smaller budgets so they might not be risking much.
That has been something I've been concerned about as well. But as you said, the key to this sort of thing catching on is the budget. There's plenty of foreign studios that can make good animation on a low budget, almost that on par of a typical live action film.
Regardless of how quickly things go back to normal, and live-action film production will resume, I hope many studios will at least try it out, and they'll soon see what works and what doesn't so more can be made.
At the very least, more adult animated cartoons are going into production for TV, and that's better than nothing. I hope DC will consider making more animated Arrowverse projects. Lord knows they can do more with the medium compared to live-action.

Reactions: Frontier

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
I'll only be OK with this if they're actually any good and can be taken seriously. Otherwise, hard pass, especially knowing that their only stand out film in a while is Into the Spiderverse, honestly.

This is another case of "I'll believe it when I see it / I'll be waiting with low expectations" for me, personally.

Reactions: Freddy and Pooky

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Aug 3, 2002
Chiyo-chan's America
I'm fine with this is as long as the films produced make good use of the animation as a medium and are diverse in tone and storytelling instead of just defaulting to the "adult animation = raunchy comedy" paradigm.

That they emphasize action-adventure stuff is a good first step in my opinion.
Agreed. The potential is definitely there. It just has to be done right for it to work (i.e. a lot of variety, avoiding the mistakes of The Emoji Movie).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
I've always had a positive view of Sony Animation for what ever reason, even after movies like Emoji or the original Popeye cancellation. I'm probably too fond of all the series that they produced for TV and movies like Spider-Verse and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, etc. Wasn't Sausage Party also Sony? Not that I'm a fan but I'm surprised that that didn't lead to more "mature' productions, whether from Sony or another studio. I'm optimistic about this and hope it leads to good things and not a glut of mediocre, overly gratuitous and indulgent "adult" Animation.

Maybe that Clone High movie poster from Spider-Verse can become a real thing or we could get a PG13 Real Ghostbusters movie with top quality humor and scares. I hope that something actually happens.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Corwin Haught

Sep 14, 2013
I've always had a positive view of Sony Animation for what ever reason, even after movies like Emoji or the original Popeye cancellation. I'm probably too fond of all the series that they produced for TV and movies like Spider-Verse and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, etc. Wasn't Sausage Party also Sony? Not that I'm a fan but I'm surprised that that didn't lead to more "mature' productions, whether from Sony or another studio. I'm optimistic about this and hope it leads to good things and not a glut of mediocre, overly gratuitous and indulgent "adult" Animation.

Maybe that Clone High movie poster from Spider-Verse can become a real thing or we could get a PG13 Real Ghostbusters movie with top quality humor and scares. I hope that something actually happens.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sausage Party was a Sony Pictures/Columbia release, but the SPA studio wasn't involved.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
It all depends on the execution. But typically, more adult-centric forays into big budget feature animation usually don't do very well, or they don't break through and make major money.

Even Into the Spider-Verse was rated PG. And it's worldwide box office only came out to $375.5 million.

Will wait and see on what types of projects Sony pursues and produces. Sure the potential is there, but they need the right creative talent attached.

Sure if Genndy Tartakovsky wanted to do something like this, yeah all in.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Making longer-term decisions (decent animation takes years to make) based on COVID-19 is a bad idea, as this isn't the new normal. SPA films usually have smaller budgets so they might not be risking much.
So, are you basically against SPA's decision to do PG-13 and R-rated animated films, given your comment? Just curious.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
It could pay off. Streaming and anime have conditioned people to accept animation that isn't raunchy comedy or dysfunctional family sitcoms, moreso than was the case 10 years ago.

The thing is, like adult live-action R-rated films, they need to be driven by auteurs and not seen as four-quadrant tentpoles.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
This could enable Paramount Animation to be involved in a second South Park movie (but how can they top the awesomeness that was Bigger, Longer and Uncut?).

Likewise, I'd like Warner Animation Group to do an R-rated animated musical movie of Rick and Morty.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The winner for this Media Brackets competition is Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars, which got 4 votes. Quack Pack got 1 vote. Thanks to everyone for participating. The article is next week.

So, this is fitting. Also, why does this meme only go until September?

Here are the most notable South Asian voices.
The 2015 Fantastic Four film was released 5 years ago today.
Kitschensyngk wrote on Harley's profile.
Who do I contact over at Popgeeks about server problems? I've having difficulties accessing the server to update my website.