Sony acquires Peanuts

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Sony Music Entertainment has acquired a stake in the classic "Peanuts" brand, created by Charles M. Schulz, from DHX Media. The two companies announced a strategic partnership Monday that sees Sony indirectly purchase 49% of DHX Media's 80% stake in "Peanuts" for $185 million in cash. Following the deal, DHX Media will own 41% of the brand, Sony 39% and the Schulz family 20%.

Full article.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
The Peanuts Movie 2: From the same studio that brought you The Emoji Movie!

I think they brag more about the Smurfs movies they've made over that. If they ever did another Peanuts movie it would probably be written and overseen by the Schulz family like that Blue Sky movie was done.

jaylop97

Staff member
For Sony, they sure did struck a good chunk of the Peanuts brand, may not be all but for the most part they do have a good percentage.

Light Lucario

Staff member
That's pretty cool news. I wonder if this could lead to another Peanuts movie. I loved the Blue Sky movie. You could definitely tell a lot of love and care went into it and the Schulz family being so heavily involved with the production probably helped with that quite a bit. If Sony does make another Peanuts movie, hopefully they'll be involved with it as well. It would be nice if they also kept the art style pretty much the same from the previous movie. They were able to keep the original designs and make them work nicely within a CGI environment.

Mandouga

The Peanuts Movie 2: From the same studio that brought you The Emoji Movie!

I hope not. For this reason:

That's pretty cool news. I wonder if this could lead to another Peanuts movie. I loved the Blue Sky movie. You could definitely tell a lot of love and care went into it and the Schulz family being so heavily involved with the production probably helped with that quite a bit. If Sony does make another Peanuts movie, hopefully they'll be involved with it as well. It would be nice if they also kept the art style pretty much the same from the previous movie. They were able to keep the original designs and make them work nicely within a CGI environment.

It may sound like cool news now, but you know what they say: be careful what you wish for, you just might get it...

Light Lucario

Staff member
Probably should mention that this is Sony Music Entertainment Japan and not Sony Pictures Entertainment that acquired the stake.

I completely missed that when first reading the announcement. I don't know how I could have done that.

I hope not. For this reason:

It may sound like cool news now, but you know what they say: be careful what you wish for, you just might get it...

I'm not sure why you wanted to respond to my excitement like that. Even if Sony made a Peanuts movie and it turned out that I didn't like it, I don't think it would bother me that much. I can always just ignore it in favor of all of the other Peanuts movies and specials that I could rewatch instead. It would be disappointing, especially when Peanuts still holds a soft place in my heart, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't like a a hypothetical Sony Peanuts movie.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Probably should mention that this is Sony Music Entertainment Japan and not Sony Pictures Entertainment that acquired the stake.

They do more than just music. For example, they own Aniplex instead of another division of Sony, for some odd reason.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Staff member
Reporter
Sony Music also seems to be holder of RCA records and Columbia Records. All part of Sony Entertainment. If they were going to make a new Peanuts media they could maybe go through sister company Sony Animation but DHX and Schulz would also have to authorize that. The last movie happened because Charles Schulz's son and grandson thought it up and worked on it so it would most likely take a Schulz member thinking it up , they are very protective of it. I wouldn't be too worried about another movie knowing how protective the family is ( as you may tell I am a big fan of the Peanuts)

From what I've read this deal is a way to expand Peanuts in Japan (which is greatly popular there as much as it is the US if not more) and other parts of Asia and helps DHX get rid of debt.

Dudley

Staff member
The deal makes sense as the Peanuts are indeed really popular in Japan. I’ve seen more Snoopy Stores than I did Disney stores when I was there (granted, it was just by one)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pooky

Staff member
As long as that 20% share the Schulz Family still owns gives them enough sway to put a foot down when need be, I'm fine with this

Lonestarr

Stop eating my sesame cake!
Staff member
After what Sony did to Peter Rabbit, this acquisition is, by a wide margin, the most unfortunate thing that could've happened to the Peanuts franchise. Just...ugh.

Nathan43284

Guys, you didn't realize that this is Sony Music Entertainment Japan buying a minority stake in the franchise, not Sony Pictures Entertainment. They helped grow the franchise in Japan. Why didn't the OP add "Sony Music Entertainment Japan" instead of just "Sony"?

So what does this acquisition stake mean in the long run?
They're only buying this 39% stake to continue licensing the franchise in Japan.

After what Sony did to Peter Rabbit, this acquisition is, by a wide margin, the most unfortunate thing that could've happened to the Peanuts franchise. Just...ugh.
This is Sony Music Japan, not Sony Pictures. They've been the Japanese licensee for the franchise, so they'll own a minority stake with DHX and the Schulz family retaining their stakes.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpaceCowboy

Since it's the Japanese branch of Sony, would it be possible the next movie could be a Japanese-made production? Not a 2D anime film, but a CGI film made in Japan like the Stand By Me Doraemon movie. Except intended for an international audience like the Little Nemo movie from TMS was.

Edit: Hypothetically speaking.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Since it's the Japanese branch of Sony, would it be possible the next movie could be a Japanese-made production? Not a 2D anime film, but a CGI film made in Japan like the Stand By Me Doraemon movie. Except intended for an international audience like the Little Nemo movie from TMS was.

Edit: Hypothetically speaking.
The Schulz family would never allow that. They are extremely possessive and particular about what Peanuts cartoons and movies are made. Peanuts is NOT a property a given creator can put their own stamp on, which is what a Japanese cartoon would be doing. If it isn't exactly the same way Sparky did it, the Schulz family will nix it.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts