Status
Not open for further replies.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I also really hope that this doesn't start a trend where movies go back to fix something due to massive amount of fan complaining. The original design was terrible, but going back to fix it is most likely going to cost them a lot of money, especially with merchandise and posters, and I kind of wonder if it would be worthwhile. A better Sonic design isn't going to automatically make this movie significantly better. I kind of would have given them a bit of credit for releasing the movie as it is in spite of all of the backlash.
If you believe in your project, you stand by it, no matter what fans think. The fact that they are redoing everything and fans haven't even seen the movie shows they do not believe in it or the property. This is going to be bad.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Ah yes, can't wait to hear people guilt trip everyone who complained about the design into watching this movie!

dth1971

The Sonic the Hedgehog movie date had been pushed to March 2020 but it's back to its Feb. 2020 release date.

Light Lucario

Staff member
The blurry quality of the picture makes it seem more fanmade to me, but if this is the new design, it is an improvement. They could have just saved a lot of time, money and energy if they just had a design like this in the first place.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
This is a much better design. But I also couldn't help but notice this may be another fanmade design. Hopefully, I'm proven wrong. I want this movie to succeed (financially and critically) (though I have a feeling it won't for obvious reasons), and hopefully show future filmmakers of IP-adapted movies to stand by their product and not go back to the drawing board when fans don't like it.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Official trailer and poster:

xoov2uqml8y31.jpg

Light Lucario

Staff member
That is a much better design. It still has some realistic details like with his fur, but they don't try to make him too realistic like with his original design. It just comes off as a more detailed CGI version of how Sonic normally looks, which is what should have happened in the first place. I still feel really bad for all of the animators who had to rework all of Sonic's scenes for this new design, especially when it just seems like that could have been so easily avoidable if they tested out the design before finalizing it for the movie. Hopefully they won't overworked.

There were some funny lines throughout the trailer and I think Sonic's voice actor works pretty nicely with his general attitude, but I don't know if a better Sonic design is going to make this movie significantly better. The general premise still sounds pretty cliche and generic. Most Sonic fans would probably prefer seeing Sonic's own world with his own friends instead of another movie setup where he's sent to the human world and bonds with a random person. The improved redesign might help increased interest in the movie and maybe even prevent it from being a complete flop, but I'd be amazed if this movie was received well in general by the time it releases next year.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
The visual effects aren't necessarily more polished, but the main thing is that they actually got a good 3D model for Sonic. I kind of want to watch the movie now just because they made the effort to give fans an aesthetic they wanted.

Troy Troodon

Definitely better, though I still would've preferred if Sonic were 2D. Or Heck have the whole movie Hand-Drawn altogether, but still marked improvement.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I like that they kept the fur.

Are you reading this Masahiro Sakurai? Sonic with realistic fur CAN work.

Mandouga

Definitely better, though I still would've preferred if Sonic were 2D. Or Heck have the whole movie Hand-Drawn altogether, but still marked improvement.

I'm not sure that would have made any diffdrence, but I'll get to that in a minute.

I'll have to admit, it does look a little bit more like Sonic...

BUT!

I meant what I said before: they can redesign him all they like. It's not going to change however the movie is (likely) going to end up being in the first place. A sheriff and his assistant created just for this movie? That pretty much confirms that this is just another "famous-fictional-character-gets-trapped-in-the-'real-world'" plot.

Now, don't anyone "but all the TV shows had original characters" me, and don't anyone "but Sonic X had them visit 'the human world'/'our world'" me either. In the first place, those shows, while not exactly true to the letter of the games (especially the three shows produced by DIC; Sonic X comes the closest, though), are still true to the spirit of the games (with the exception of Sonic Boom, but that's not for this thread); in their own way, but true to the spirit of fhe games, nonetheless. In the second place, an animated TV show is one thing, but when it comes to live-action, that changes the rules, and even then, with what they're doing with this movie, making it animated (2D or 3D) wouldn't make that much of a difference.

Here, they're just doing the same tired "trapped in the real world" plot that previous "adaptations" of classic movies and TV shows (quotes, because, like this movie, they really aren't adaptations at all)* have done: a famous fictional character gets trapped in the "real world" just so the movie can both pay tribute to, and parody this character. As a result, the movie doesn't really know what it's talking about at all. There's a difference between a movie that takes place in the "human world"--or even "our world"--and a movie that takes place in the "real world". For movies where a character visits the "real world", it's meant to be part of the joke.

I would have thought that maybe they would try to actually adapt the games (in some way), and not do another clueless tribute/parody movie. Otherwise, they never would have made the original "realistic" design of Sonic (complete with Nike shoes that don't even look like Sonic's shoes) that they were going to use in the first place, all because they probably thought us viewers (on this forum, and elsewhere regardless of age or familiarity with Sonic) either wouldn't know the difference or care...

*Examples include: The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle ("Quick! Let's go to a commercial...what is this, PBS?" "I could fly if I wanted to...") , Fat Albert (where he meets his "creator"), and The Smurfs.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
The design is way, way better, but that trailer still looks like a bad movie. Most of the humor didn't work (I did laugh at Sonic quickly checking out the "lame" ball), and Eggman is just too much. I also still don't approve of them just putting Sonic in the "human" world when it's obvious that Sonic's world exists here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts