Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudley

Staff member
Cartoon Brew mentioned how if they’re not careful revamping the design in post, eye contact between Sonic’s new design and the live actors could be horribly off. I doubt they’ll consider reshooting, but it makes me wonder how much of a change will be done

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't see myself as cynical about it.
Oh well thank God lol
I never said (or even implicated) you were -- rather other people elsewhere online; but okay.

Last edited:

dth1971

Funny you should ask that…

Now before we cheer "hooray, we got to them!" There's some…things to consider:
  • A) This could've been avoided from the beginning by actually peer testing the design to the public.
  • B) Unless they decide to delay the movie to the next year or so and pay them for overtime, this is just a big strain on the tens of hundreds of hard-working individuals who poured blood, sweat, and tears rendering the blue blur the way they were instructed to. As mentioned, it could've been avoided.

Could the design change delay the movie for release until early 2020?

SweetShop209

TargetmasterJoe

It's now February 14, 2020.

So 9 months. Great to hear. The story might still be eh, but at least VFX artists won't have to be forced into the dreaded crunch time.

(Incidentally, that article wrongly states Sony's releasing the movie. It's should be saying Paramount.)

SpaceCowboy

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member

Light Lucario

Staff member
Yeah, that's kind of a mixed bag. On one hand, I'm glad that the artists involved aren't going to be pushed into working around the clock to alter the design in time for November. That really didn't give them enough time. At least this gives them a few more months to work on it, so maybe there won't be as much crunch time on them to get a better design. It also makes the claim that they are going to redesign Sonic more plausible. I just figured that it was nothing but an attempt to calm everyone down and that still might be the case, but if they actually do spend this time giving Sonic a redesign, I'd be kind of surprised, especially when they already feature the current design on promotional materials and posters.

But on the other hand, pushing back a movie like that usually isn't a good sign, especially when the movie got a lot of bad press from the trailer. It's also probably not going to make the movie any better. Even if Sonic's CGI design was generally well received, the trailer itself didn't really give a good impression of the movie. It already was full of the cliche setup of cartoon, or I guess in this case, video game character being thrown into the real world and having to help save it with the help of his human friends. It did not look or sound interesting, so I don't know how much a better Sonic design could really improve it. It's probably not going to do well or be well received among fans.

Plus, this could have been so easily avoided if they had done some tests with the redesign to see what would appeal to the general audience. They should have been told to come up with a different design ages ago, not when the first teaser trailer dropped. I also kind of hope that this doesn't start a trend of public backlash influencing movies or forcing artists to work more on designs that they don't like. This is a different kind of situation given how popular and nostalgic Sonic is for a lot of people. Not to mention it didn't sound like they tested the design before finalizing it, but I don't want fan backlash to play that much of a role in what people do with their movies.

I am still glad that the artists are hopefully aren't going to be pushed into working around the clock to change the design, but I also can't help but feel like it's a waste of effort at the same time. A better CGI Sonic most likely isn't going to save this movie and changing it this late in the game still doesn't reflect well on the people behind that decision in the first place. I'd almost kind of respect them in a strange way if they stood by their decision to keep the original CGI Sonic. They made their bed with that decision, so they might as well keep it instead of changing it to appeal to fan demands.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

MegasMilo379

Finally.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I am also glad that we're going to have a more accurate looking Sonic with a better design though yeah that doesn't mean the story is going to be any better. I am reminded though looking at the 2020 schedule around that time that Peter Rabbit 2 is coming a week before hand and reminded of how TERRIBLE the ad campaign for that 2018 Peter Rabbit movie is. The designs there weren't problematic but the jokes and the actual set up from the trailer looked HORRENDOUS but the movie wound up actually being pretty good. That doesn't mean that Sonic may wind up being a hidden gem or anything but I do think this bodes well. Especially since other movies that got moved/are getting moved a lot like Alita Battle Angel or New Mutants were looking for a good release date or more major behind the scenes production issues. Plus as of right now Sonic's most major compettition for that actually pretty coveted Valentine's Day weekend is the Kingsman prequel film which yeah without even the cast of the original and with Golden Circle ruining the reputation of that series isn't as big of competition honestly as even the first one.

dth1971

As they try to get a better Sonic movie design in time for the Feb. 2020 release of the movie I hope there's not another setback.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
On the one hand, I hated the design. On the other, going back to the drawing board over fans complaining shows the producers don't actually believe in their movie or story. Them being so willing to change something so big tells me the movie will probably be terrible.

Light Lucario

Staff member
On the one hand, I hated the design. On the other, going back to the drawing board over fans complaining shows the producers don't actually believe in their movie or story. Them being so willing to change something so big tells me the movie will probably be terrible.

I also really hope that this doesn't start a trend where movies go back to fix something due to massive amount of fan complaining. The original design was terrible, but going back to fix it is most likely going to cost them a lot of money, especially with merchandise and posters, and I kind of wonder if it would be worthwhile. A better Sonic design isn't going to automatically make this movie significantly better. I kind of would have given them a bit of credit for releasing the movie as it is in spite of all of the backlash.

Darkdawn

I Am Here

I think Sonic will be incredibly lucky if it pulls off similar numbers to Alita ($405 million worldwide).

I'm wondering if Tim Miller (the producer of this movie) has been prematurely made out to be some sort of visionary simply because of one film (Deadpool). Between this, Love, Death & Robots and getting to direct the next Terminator, he's definitely reaping the rewards of Deadpool's success. And yet... Deadpool 2 was 100% faithful to the spirit and tone of it's predecessor despite having a different director (David Leitch). Meanwhile, the Dark Fate trailer has gotten a muted reception and of course we have the controversy over Sonic's design. And LD&R is an anthology series involving many other people and animation studios, and while it's been a major success with some brilliant shorts, IMO it doesn't have the singular/auteur-like cohesiveness of Twilight Zone or Black Mirror.

I'll say this... the one thing that might save this is if it people somehow fall in love with Jim Carrey's Eggman like they did with Will Smith's Genie and Naomi Scott's Jasmine.

Mandouga

I also really hope that this doesn't start a trend where movies go back to fix something due to massive amount of fan complaining. The original design was terrible, but going back to fix it is most likely going to cost them a lot of money, especially with merchandise and posters, and I kind of wonder if it would be worthwhile. A better Sonic design isn't going to automatically make this movie significantly better. I kind of would have given them a bit of credit for releasing the movie as it is in spite of all of the backlash.

He did the right thing, I think. On the other hand, I do agree that filmmakers shouldn't (necessarily) allow the things they may make to be controlled by fan opinion. It's important to listen to the viewers, and how they feel about some things, but on the other hand it is a bad idea to only let their opinions determine what a movie (or TV show or video game or whatever) should be like. The way I see it, the fact that he did this shows that he's actually listening in the first place, and isn't insulting the viewers with the "if you don't like it, don't watch it" explanation, or otherwise patronizing everyone by trying to make it look like he somehow knows best. I will say however (and I've said this before), that any redesign is likely not going to change how the movie itself is. I'm just glad that he was actually able to swallow his pride and see that the viewers aren't going to ignore certain things about Sonic the Hedgehog, and the franchise's 28 year history. I mean, it gets frustrating when so-called "remakes/adaptations" pretend like the previous source material never existed, except for a quick gag/tribute, and/or to reassure everyone that yes they're aware of the original version(s). This is also applies to character designs as well, and no "don't judge a book by its cover" doesn't apply here.

The point is, while we as viewers can't always expect this, we should be glad that he did get the hint, and is trying to make it right no matter how the movie ends up turning out either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts