Status
Not open for further replies.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
The people behind this movie do something that Sakurai couldn't do to Sonic in Smash Ultimate - give him realistic fur.

I really like the design, I know I'm probably in the minority here but movie Sonic is well-designed. I had wanted all the non-human mammals in SSBU to be designed with realistic fur textures, but four of them didn't get that treatment - in addition to Sonic, neither Isabelle, nor Pikachu or Pichu got realistic fur in SSBU - though filmmakers did give it to Pikachu for the Detective Pikachu movie.

Dudley

Staff member
Funny you should ask that…

Now before we cheer "hooray, we got to them!" There's some…things to consider:
  • A) This could've been avoided from the beginning by actually peer testing the design to the public.
  • B) Unless they decide to delay the movie to the next year or so and pay them for overtime, this is just a big strain on the tens of hundreds of hard-working individuals who poured blood, sweat, and tears rendering the blue blur the way they were instructed to. As mentioned, it could've been avoided.
Yeah, I doubt they’re going to do much changes. That’s a lot to change, both in the film and in marketing material. They’re just saying it to ease complainers

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
The Sonic movie should also open with the theatrical version of the Paramount Blue Mountain logo, but with a Viacom byline. Both that and Sega's current logo were introduced in 1975, while both Paramount and Sega were owned by Gulf and Western. The other reason for using the Blue Mountain? Sonic himself is colored blue.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Even if they tried to fix it, it would involve a lot of reshoots and alterations to a script for a movie that should have already finished filming by this point. It would still most likely be a complete train wreck if they did try to alter the movies based on the fan reactions.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
U.K. poster:

ShadowBeast

Now before we cheer "hooray, we got to them!" There's some…things to consider:
  • A) This could've been avoided from the beginning by actually peer testing the design to the public.
  • B) Unless they decide to delay the movie to the next year or so and pay them for overtime, this is just a big strain on the tens of hundreds of hard-working individuals who poured blood, sweat, and tears rendering the blue blur the way they were instructed to. As mentioned, it could've been avoided.
I think the best option we have would be to redesign Sonic in a sequel-ish film.

Radiant97

Uploaded Intelligence
Even if they tried to fix it, it would involve a lot of reshoots and alterations to a script for a movie that should have already finished filming by this point. It would still most likely be a complete train wreck if they did try to alter the movies based on the fan reactions.
I just fear for the VFX artists tbh. Lord knows how overworked they'd be from altering this much of the movie in such a short time.

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
I just fear for the animators tbh. Lord knows how overworked they'd be from altering this much of the movie in such a short time.

True. But they could just hire several new VFX studios to handle the workload. It’s just going to be a bunch of money wasted on what they already made.

Also, keep in mind that Sonic isn’t in every scene of the movie, so there’s not as much work to do as one would think.

Perhaps I should retract my doubt about the possible changes. Now more than ever, fans have an influence on content that gets made. I just think it’s dumb to do the changes now as they should’ve gone with the better design in the first place and save everyone involved the headache.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
It seems pretty late to redesign Sonic for this movie. They already feature the design on posters and they may have already have some merchandise in the works featuring this design. While Sonic wouldn't be in every shot of the movie, it still sounds like it would be a lot of work to redesign him this late in the game.

They could go for redesigning him for a possible sequel, but I'd be pretty surprised if they did make a sequel to this. It's possible that the movie will be better than the trailer makes it out to be, but I have my doubts about that given how terrible its reputation already is. A lot of studios do go into a movie nowadays hoping/already planning for a sequel, but that can backfire pretty quickly and easily. If they are planning for a Sonic sequel, they might getting a bit too excited at the prospect of another movie franchise.

Pooky

Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me if they did delay this; Pararmout has precedent with the second G.I. Joe movie.

Part of me thinks this sets a bad precedent of excessive consumer sensitivity, but let's be honest this is a purely commercial venture based on a character who was designed from the ground up as a corporate mascot. A great one who has appeared in seminal works, but still. Fair play to Fowler on his public conduct here at least.

Dudley

Staff member
Yeah, the director could’ve said something like, “this is trying to appeal to new audiences”, or “we did focus group tests and kids love it” or some other excuse.
The whole situation is kind of embarrassing tbh. Especially if they might have to delay the film.

ZanyLogic5

Why couldn't the film take place in Mobius?

Mobius never existed anywhere in the game universe. That was only in the cartoons and comics. You could say that Sonic is from an alternate earth that has the same name but is different from ours (in this case, it's populated with mostly anthropomorphic animals rather than humans).

Last edited:

MegasMilo379

Finally.
Okay. Even though I'm in the majority who didnt want a Sonic film in the first place (IMO because I didn't think to ask for one), I'm not as cynical as most people on every other aspect. I kinda liked Sonic's initial design, but I've seen some fanart on social media that looked much better.
When I learned the crew have heard the (almost fully negative) reactions, I believed they genuinely listened and will do all they can to give Sonic a much more easier-on-the-eyes appearance on-par with the franchise's design. They could've done nothing and let the fanbase and everyone else get used to "freak teeth Sonic" right to when the film premieres; but they catered to them, and that's great. I'm not too sure if this'll get the film delayed, but it's probably going to.
(And I don't know if this'll happen again with another franchise film, but I hope fans of another franchise don't treat this as a power to abuse.)

As for Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik, I think it's a great casting choice. And I believe he's aware of who Eggman is enough before he joined the cast, and will do a phenomenal job --as Robotnik, and not as Jim Carrey (as some keep doing as of late).

I think the film will do well. Half thanks to people who genuinely wanting to see it (or are at least curious) and half to unimpressed franchise fans wanting to hate watch.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Delaying the film would hopefully give the animators more time to work on Sonic's scenes if they actually do plan on giving him a new design due to the backlash .That still makes me think it will cause more problems in the long run. While most people don't like Sonic's design, I'm not sure if having better one would instantly fix all of the problems with the movie. The general premise based on the trailer doesn't really make the movie look particularly good even if Sonic's CGI design was more well received.

As much as people don't like it, I imagine that they did spend a lot of time, money and energy with this design, so I don't know if it could be easily changed. I do think that this is something that could have been avoided if they had done more testing with this design, but at the same time, they kind of already set their minds on this design and it just feels way too late for them to turn back now.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Delaying the film would hopefully give the animators more time to work on Sonic's scenes if they actually do plan on giving him a new design due to the backlash. That still makes me think it will cause more problems in the long run. While most people don't like Sonic's design, I'm not sure if having better one would instantly fix all of the problems with the movie. The general premise based on the trailer doesn't really make the movie look particularly good even if Sonic's CGI design was more well received.

As much as people don't like it, I imagine that they did spend a lot of time, money and energy with this design, so I don't know if it could be easily changed. I do think that this is something that could have been avoided if they had done more testing with this design, but at the same time, they kind of already set their minds on this design and it just feels way too late for them to turn back now.
Well, I am hoping they take their time with revising Sonic's design for the film after that backlash.

First impressions are everything. The majority of moviegoers decide whether they want to see a flick once the trailer/teaser comes out. Sometimes even before the trailer depending on the property or studio behind it such as certain Marvel and Pixar films. This will probably end up being another case like Justice League and Alita Battle Angel. Any extra money they spend or doing reshoots and altering digital effects may as well be dumped inside a furnace.

TargetmasterJoe

First impressions are everything. The majority of moviegoers decide whether they want to see a flick once the trailer/teaser comes out. Sometimes even before the trailer depending on the property or studio behind it such as certain Marvel and Pixar films. This will probably end up being another case like Justice League and Alita Battle Angel. Any extra money they spend or doing reshoots and altering digital effects may as well be dumped inside a furnace.

Didn't Alita: Battle Angel turn out fine?

Mandouga

I'm not as cynical as most people on every other aspect.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't see myself as cynical about it. If anything, Sega are the cynical ones by--either through inaction, or even doing it themselves--allowing this movie to happen, let alone giving us the Sonic design that doesn't even look him. Speaking of which:

They can redesign him all they like, it's not going to change what this movie is likely going to be about: another "Hollywood" production that doesn't know what it's talking about. I mean, by this point, the movie is either complete, or in post-production. As for Sega, this (the upcoming redesign, I mean) is likely they're way of saying, "All right, already!! Gee whiz, we just can't win with you guys, can we?!" Personally, I think both Sega and the people making this movie were hoping...no, assuming that people wouldn't notice, or mind, or care; that the "Sonic fans" would just focus on the games and not care about this movie. I mean, why else would they have come up with the design of Sonic to begin with? If this is the case(I mean, I am just speculating here, admittedly), then that would mean that Sega has underestimated the (real) fans yet again.

Now, I understand about trying to find positives in things, but at this point, they (both the filmmakers, and Sega) aren't really allowing for it. They were/are ignoring all of the Sonic fans (i.e., those who have been there since 1991, and those who are discovering Sonic for the first time) in favor of those viewers who have probably never seen a movie in their lives, let alone played any video game (i.e., let alone the Sonic series). Really, what is everyone supposed to think: that this is supposed to be some kind of of "alternate interpretation" of Sonic; that we're supposed to somehow have an "open mind" and "try something new"; that we're supposed to "suspend [our] disbelief"? Nice try, filmmakers; Sega, but it won't work. Sonic Mania, and Sonic Forces are the most recent games, but Sega hasn't been making them as often as they once have, plus most of the recent ones have just been spur-of-the-moment attempts to please the fans (as Sega sees them), and get them to stop complaining about things Sega feels are unimportant, trivial, or petty, while not even realizing, or even admitting what the real problem is. This movie is pretty much the worst case scenario, and all of this is the result of Sega's own cynicism: toward us, themselves, their creations, and their own legacy, as well as (the way I see it) their own inability to suspend their own disbelief.

I'm sorry, Sega, but clearly you still haven't learned your lesson (and for that matter, neither have you, Hollywood). Otherwise, this movie could/would/should have turned out very differently,

TargetmasterJoe said:

That's that thing, this is another.

Reports on Alita's budget are conflicting. Some say as low as 175 million others say as high as 500 million. I don't know if the lower estimates took into account the marketing and cgi alterations.

The sonic movie's budget is supposedly $90.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts