Status
Not open for further replies.

TargetmasterJoe

Release Date: November 8, 2019 (Reported)
It's old news by now, but last month, a film style guide got leaked featuring clearer shots of Sonic:

Shortly after, a full render of Sonic and what appears to be a screen-grab got leaked too:

Unsurprisingly, they all look horrid.

And since this is the news forum for this "movie":

The movie is getting presented by Paramount in CinemaCon on April 4th.

And I am quite scared.

ZanyLogic5

But in all seriousness, i'm not entirely pleased with this. But maybe, just MAYBE, it won't be a major disappointment.
At least we'll still have the Sonic OVA to enjoy if this movie doesn't do well for all of us.

Also, why does Jim Carrey look a lot like Colin Farrell here than himself? Maybe it's the mustache but the similarities are there.

Last edited:

Dudley

Staff member
I’m getting tired of seeing the whole normal guy and CG character screaming when they first meet. Is there a trope name for that? There should be at this point.

Although I do admit, Jim Carrey looks like he’ll be fun. And this Coyote vs Roadrunner like rivalry with Sonic looks like it’ll be fun.

I almost kind of wish Tails and Knuckles were in this.

Can’t wait to see this on a premium channel or SVOD next year!

ShadowBeast

I’m getting tired of seeing the whole normal guy and CG character screaming when they first meet. Is there a trope name for that? There should be at this point.
Well to be fair, suddenly seeing a CG character in real life would be quite shocking and in this case it's quite justified considering Sonic's design ;)
But yeah should really start mixing it up. Add some "fight or flight" to these situations.

Although I do admit, Jim Carrey looks like he’ll be fun. And this Coyote vs Roadrunner like rivalry with Sonic looks like it’ll be fun.
Yeah Jim Carrey does add something positive to the film.

I almost kind of wish Tails and Knuckles were in this.
Considering Sonic's design, I'm glad none of the other Sonic characters are in this.

Frontier

Staff member
I just...I'm trying to find the words for this....

- Was anyone really asking for them to put Sonic in the real world, with real humans, and virtually nothing from the game? I mean, "Green Hills?" Seriously :rolleyes:?

- I feel bad for James Marsden. Is anyone really expecting to care about a token human in a Sonic movie? He would've been better off just voicing, like, Knuckles or something :(.

- I'm kind of pleased that they're not already using the Chaos Emerald as the typical macguffins :p.

- Sonic's face and design looks so weird in action, although when he was actually running and moving he looked a lot better :cool:.

- Jim Carrey's Eggman is basically your typical Jim Carrey character which, while fun, isn't exactly what I was hoping for even if it looks like by the end we'll have him looking more like game Eggman :confused:.

- Will that military unit be called GUN? Poor Neil McDonough though :sweat:.

- Eggman's robots look like they're straight out of Sonic '06, which isn't necessarily a compliment but I guess fitting for what this movie seems to be going for :ack:.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
Oh boy. That was a trailer. I was hoping that Sonic design would look at least a bit better in motion, but it really doesn't. I think it's just too detailed and oddly enough too blue. Blue is my favorite color and Sonic is mostly blue anyway, but I think adding more blue fur contributes to the feeling that it's just overly designed. The Pokemon in the Detective Pikachu trailers are more detailed too, but they don't stray too far off from how they look in the games/anime. They're all still pretty recognizable and I don't think that the same can be said for Sonic's CGI design. They focused more on making Sonic look "realistic" than on adapting his original design if that makes any sense.

I didn't realize that Jim Carry was going to be Dr. Eggman. There has been so much attention on Sonic's design that I didn't know who else was going to be in this movie. He's basically playing Jim Carry, which might add some enjoyment to the movie. The premise does sound like the typical being sent to the human world setup that has been used in other movies. Most Sonic fans probably wanted something different for a live action movie. The new poster does admittedly look pretty cool, but the trailer definitely doesn't leave me with much confidence. I'm sure it will do well enough financially, but I can already see it being a so bad, it's good kind of movie from just this trailer.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I'm sorry but this looks really bad. I suppose I have no right to comment due to not having played Sonic a whole lot, but the trailer, in my eyes, seemed very similar to the Detective Pikachu trailer plot wise. Like @Dudley said, there should be a trope for every time a live action normal person meets a horrifying CGI character. Especially considering how the live action remake train is chugging into the future full speed.

Like others have mentioned before, the design does not look right. There is something so off-putting to it that honestly, I had a bit of trouble just getting through the trailer. This is why some ideas should NOT be revamped into live action franchises. Disney live action remakes? Sure, if they're done right. Sonic the Hedgehog? Ehh...I don't think so.

Also, Jim Carrey is...Jim Carrey! I guess?

Mandouga

I don't even need to watch the trailer. In the first place, and as I said in the other thread, Jim Carrey's Dr. Eggman doesn't even LOOK like him. I also saw Sega's name on the poster. In other words, Sega's directly involved with this, as I suspected. I can only conclude that Sega allowing the movie to be made the way it is their way of sticking their tongues out at "the fans" (quotes because they're the fans as Sega sees them), and basically saying "Nuts to you! We'll make Sonic any way we want!". In other words, it's basically Sonic Boom all over again. Now, obviously they're not directly making it themselves (they are a video game company after all), but again, they are directly involved with this movie (otherwise, their logo wouldn't be seen on the poster), and by letting the filmmakers do this, they are just as much responsible (even if indirectly) as if they made it themselves. Also, earlier they were reported to announce that the next Sonic game is in development. I personally wouldn't be surprised if it was just the adaptation of this movie (that's right, a game based on a movie, based on a game; just like the Sonic Boom games). In any case, Nike shoes*? An existing pop...,er rap/hip-hop song? Yep, that sounds just like another generic "Hollywood" movie to me; one that thinks it knows better when it comes to adapting other things, but ultimately doesn't know what it's talking about. I also wouldn't be surprised if the movie ended up being more about the human characters, then about Sonic himself. Oh yeah, and "but Sonic Adventure had human characters" isn't going to cut it. This movie IS set in our world (i.e., in the present day), or at least involves our world, whereas the games are set in Sonic's world, humans or not.. Of course, so was Sonic X, but even that show wasn't JUST about [checks Google] Chris.

(sigh) If Sega is somehow reading this, they should know that, while I can't speak for anyone else, I won't (necessarily) say "sell out", but even so, they have really disappointed me...

*On the poster, I saw what MIGHT be a single white stripe; the way Sonic's shoes are supposed to look, but I can't really tell for sure.

Dudley

Staff member
Others online have pointed this out, but it’s weird that Sonic, as fast as he is, got taken out by tranquilizer dart. As soon as the other guy was screaming at seeing Sonic, he should’ve run away.
Also, what kid capable of that level of speech could fit in that small bag? Hell, it doesn’t even look like Sonic could fit in that bag. And the people disturbed just walked away slowly instead of running to get the authorities
This whole thing is stupid, but I’d be lying to say I’m not intrigued to see more Sonic vs Robotnik action. I sense some good chemistry from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts