Some voice actors which did not voiced in many shows.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Did anyone involved in the show has outright confirmed that? I'm not so sure about if it's true or not.
They don't need to confirm it. The sheer volume of black and minority characters voiced by Hank Azaria, Tress MacNeill, and Harry Shearer speaks for itself. If you look at the huge list of minorities voiced by white people on that show, there's no other reasonable explanation than money.

Last edited:

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
The Simpsons can't even use the excuse of "it was a different time, man". Other animated shows used actors consistent with their race, even back then. It was a combination of laziness and cost-cutting.

Anyway, back on the topic, can we get some clarification? I'm not quite sure what the theme of this topic is. Is it voice actors who do a lot of voice work are conspicuously absent from such-and-such major series?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The Simpsons can't even use the excuse of "it was a different time, man". Other animated shows used actors consistent with their race, even back then. It was a combination of laziness and cost-cutting.
The turning point for me, and I'm betting most other people, was the Wilderness Years episode "Pranksta Rap", with every black character but 50 Cent (playing himself) voiced by Hank Azaria in the laziest and most insulting of Ebonics. They hired Kevin Michael Richardson for a lot of the newer black voices shortly after that, so they must have gotten a LOT of criticism for it. In reality, this whole recasting process of the rest of the characters is long overdue.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Anyway, back on the topic, can we get some clarification? I'm not quite sure what the theme of this topic is. Is it voice actors who do a lot of voice work are conspicuously absent from such-and-such major series?
Here's the opening quote that clarifies it.
While since I have reached some actors, some voice actors or the regular voice actors does not voiced many characters for the show.

Dylan James Yi

Well, as I know, Ben Diskin, Jeff Bennett, and Billy West never did voices on Nature Cat... I hope they whould voiced many characters for season 3 of the show.

TheWolfPup2006

"I can fly, I can fly, I can flyyyyy!"
Late to the discussion, a good example would be Jordan Todosey (best known for playing Lizzie on Life with Derek and Adam on Degrassi, also the voice of Willa on Willa's Wild Life). Her most recent voice acting role (as far as I know of) was in Go Away Unicorn when she voiced Jaded.

Another one I want to bring up is Brianna Gentilella (the voice of Molly on Bubble Guppies). Outside of Bubble Guppies, she only voice acted in 3 shows as far as I know of: Blue's Clues, it's spinoff Blue's Room, and Hulu's The Bravest Knight.

mimitchi33

Lovely, in my most wonderful way!
  • Holly Laroque, best known as Holly on Under The Umbrella Tree, only voice-acted as Leota on The Adventures of Teddy Ruxpin.
  • Max Morrow, best known as Jacob Two Two in the live-action movie Jacob Two Two Meets The Hooded Fang and Truman on The Noddy Shop, only had two voice-acting roles: Charles in Timothy Goes to School and Little Moose in The Little Bear Movie.
  • Sean McCann, a veteran Canadian actor, only played Russell in George Shrinks and the grandfather in Little Bear.
  • Yuko Takeuchi only played Joy in the Japanese dub of Inside Out.
  • Many celebrity voice actors on The Simpsons had their only animated roles in that show. One example of this was Kirk Douglas.
  • In a similar vein to the above, Robert Downey Jr's only voice role was The Fat Guy Strangler on Family Guy.
  • Thom Huge only did voicework on the Garfield specials and Garfield and Friends, as he worked at PAWS Inc.
  • Christopher Stephen Welch only voiced Tails on The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Dylan James Yi

Even though some actors did voices on Wonder Pets!, none of the voice actors including Maurice LaMarche, Billy West, Dee Bradley Baker, Jimmy Fallon, etc. did voices in the show.

The same happens with Peg + Cat, Peep and the Big Wide World, Elinor Wonders Why, Max & Ruby, George Shrinks, Caillou, Arthur, english dub of Pecola, Rollie Pollie Ollie, other canadian shows (not other canadian shows that have american voice actors) were none of the actors from Ocean Productions (including Matt Hill, Ian James Corlett, etc.) do voices in the show.

The british actor David Holt does not do voice acting in many american shows (though some of them were dubbed in british) and canadian shows (same here).

Dylan James Yi

My toughts, for some reason, Rick Moranis never actually did voices in any animated shows including Super Why!, Peep and the Big Wide World, Cyberchase, Arthur, Peg + Cat, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, True and the Rainbow Magic Kingdom, Pikwik Pack, PAW Patrol, The Save-Ums, Gofrette, Pecola, Seven Little Monsters, Redwall, Elinor Wonders Why, Let's Go Luna!, Justin Time, Franklin, and 2018 episodes of Bravest Warriors (produced by Nelvana), despite him being Canadian. Same goes with that actor Micheal J. Fox (known to do voice acting as Stuart Little; despite retired in 2021), he nevered did anything in any shows that have Canadian voice actors (aside from Gilbert Gottfried (until replaced by the Canadian voice actor Ron Pardo replaced him as the following of his death in 2022) and Christopher Lloyd on Cyberchase, many guest stars on Arthur, the narrator (Joan Cusack) on Peep and the Big Wide World, Tim Curry as Slagar the Cruel on Redwall, many guest actors on the PAW Patrol films, and few voice actors that are reprised from in 2018 episodes of Bravest Warriors), despite being Canadian.

And for some reason, many voice actors including Ian James Corlett, Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, Ty Olsson, and Lee Tockar never actually voiced other characters on Ed, Edd n Eddy (as there is no adults in this nor other children/teenage characters in the series).

And for one thing, Scott McNeil wasn't on the LEGO Ninjago CGI-animated series...

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts