"Solar Opposites" News & Discussions Thread (Spoliers)

DHB8008

http://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/roiland-tweets-tease-new-fox-series-solar-opposites/
Solar-Opposites-post-1.jpg

I hope it's as good as Rick and Morty, it looks great! The premise is: A family of aliens escapes its doomed home world and ends up on Earth living in the suburbs. It is at development at Fox. I like how the eyes look the same as the characters on Rick and Morty.
Sketches:
Solar-Opposites-post-2.jpg

Solar-Opposites-post-3.jpg

Solar-Opposites-post-4.jpg

Solar-Opposites-post-5.jpg

Solar-Opposites-post-6.jpg

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active
If anyone is aware about two people, Justin Roiland and the series writer/producer Mike McMahan who worked on Adult Swim Rick and Morty, is work on upcoming adult animated series on Hulu

https://news.avclub.com/hulu-orders-new-series-from-rick-and-morty-co-creator-j-1828659069

According to the article:
"Justin Roiland, the co-creator of weirdo animated comedy super-hit Rick And Morty, has finally landed a new project that doesn’t involve prank calls, writing songs for Kanye West, or inadvertently making life miserable for McDonald’s employees (as far as we know). According to Deadline, Roiland and Rick And Morty writer/producer Mike McMahan have sold a new animated series to Hulu called Solar Opposites. The show is about a family of aliens from a “better world” who must hide out in middle America for some reason, with some of them bemoaning the frustrating turn of events and others deciding that America is actually pretty cool—presumably making them… solar opposites.

Roiland will lead the voice cast, naturally, alongside Sean Giambrone from The Goldbergs and Mary Mack from Golan The Insatiable. Solar Opposites already has a two-season order from Netflix, which means Roiland will have to balance his work on it with his commitment to develop a whopping 70 new Rick And Morty episodes for Adult Swim. Luckily, Solar Opposites won’t launch until 2020, so he’s got some time to crank out wacky shit for Rick and Morty to do."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jaylop97

Staff member
Wow we still have 2 years before the show debuts, only a matter of time until the shows release.

Dragnatek

I'm shocked to learn this show still exists and is almost released. I figured it was one of many shows that never gets made.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Unlike what Rick and Morty has become (which is rather disappointing nonsense, IMHO.); this actually looks and sounds like it knows just want it wants to be. I'll give it a chance. It'll gain my respect immediately if it's any better than Rick and Morty, however - preferably by actually being balanced in both funny & violent at the same time, while not doing too many pop culture refs, if that's even possible anymore, that is (LOL, not really.).

Also glad to see Thomas Middleditch is still getting work - if the criminally underrated Penn Zero PTH showed me anything, he can act like a boss, honestly. More importantly, Hopefully Justin Roiland can succeed with this show where Rick and Morty sadly kinda fails for me (Dan Harmon was the worse half of R&M, but Roiland deserves some blame for not being more assertive in certain areas to make that show be better received than it is now, himself.).

Orange Mo

orangemo
Feels like a show inside a show or rather a spin-off. Wouldn't surprise me to see R&M cameo. Feels good, but also a bit meh.

A cameo is unlikely unless 20th gets permission from Warner Bros.

I know this is a double post, but I only
combine responses together. General messages will always be separate. So, let’s talk about this new show! I’ve watched the first two episodes so far, and this is a lot better than I expected.

The first 2 episodes were good. They are definitely slow to start, but they’re trying to build their world and for you to get to know the characters. It’s funny when it needs to be and it doesn’t seem overly preachy with its topics. So far it’s an 8/10 (B), but I still have 6 more episodes and I can’t wait to see where it goes.

I really like Jesse so far. I know she’s the nicer alien out of the bunch, are they all siblings or something? She just wants to be accepted by the humans and I can’t wait to see where the show takes her character.

One thing I like about this show is that no one is a punching bag. Meg, Klaus, and Jerry, and to a lesser extent Brian Griffin, are all punching bags who usually don’t deserve what’s coming to them, though you could argue Brian does deserve it sometimes.

Overall I think it has potential. Just be aware that 99% of shows take their time to get good. Take Bless the Harts and Duncanville as sample new cartoon shows. they started out okay, but got better closer to end of their first seasons, especially Bless the Harts. This show had a stronger start than those two, so there’s some promise there. I’m enjoying this more than Rick and Morty season 4 at least, which has been very lackluster.

Things I don’t care for so far are the male younger alien, I think his name is Yumyulack or something he’s way too mean, and also why so much uncensored cursing. This should have been TV-14 like Rick and Morty. In the trailers things were bleeped out and I like the bleeps, makes it funnier.

Mod note: Double posts merged. Please don't double post just minutes apart and instead also combine responses and general messages.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orange Mo

orangemo

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.

The show has been renewed for a season 3, which has 12 episodes.

This show is OK at best, which means it's setting itself up to not be nearly as memorable/noteworthy as Rick and Morty is for people... I don't know if these new seasons due someday can fix that or not, but I'd love to see them try, regardless. Simply because Roiland is much better at this by himself than he is with Harmon holding him back as a co-creator with his (Harmon's) personal hang-ups getting in the way on R&M, as is.

It also really helps that Roiland does have ideas for what he's doing, even if they don't have the strongest fleshing out, at first. I will definitely say that the episodes focusing on the wall the children aliens have are some of the best moments on this show and the show is worth recommending just for that, honestly.

Orange Mo

orangemo

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts