So why didn't the new direction in Scooby Doo on Zombie Island stick?

Latest News

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
Mar 13, 2002
Winner's Circle
That's one of my favorite Scooby movies and one of the things I like best about it is that the gang gets sick of never finding any real monsters, so they set out to actively find some and do.

But instead of staying with this idea they eventually went back to guys in rubber masks with Star Trek level holographic technology. I just watched Scooby Doo and the Legend of the Vampire, which came out just four years after Zombie Island in 2002, and it took the last ten minutes of the movie just to explain the convoluted solution to the mystery. I've only seen the first season of What's New, Scooby Doo? but it also seems to feature rubber mask guys. I've read that the monster in Goblin King is real, but that seems to be the main recent exception.

I think it would be nice to mix it up a bit and have the gang occasionally find a real monster or ghost. They could still have a mystery element as to how to deal with it or why it's haunting the place. And they could throw in the rubber mask guys sometimes just to keep the audience guessing.

So, was there ever a reason given for not staying with the Zombie Island formula? What do you think of this?

May 1, 2006
Ratings
Canada
I was watching this movie just the other day and thinking this exactly. I really enjoyed that era of Scooby Doo, it was a lot of fun and messed with the old formula that was pretty tired by that point.

I also want to know why they stopped going in this direction.

Ryusui

It's the greatest day.
Aug 14, 2009
United States
watercrown.info
I haven't watched anything Scooby-Doo since Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost. Mainly because that movie sucked and was an utter and complete letdown after Zombie Island. I mean, really, casting Tim Curry? Subtle, HB, really subtle.

What this world needs is for Tim Curry to get a long string of roles where he's like freakin' Gandalf. Then we won't know what to think. Is this fine, upstanding, respectable mentor/father figure to the protagonist and/or his friend WHO IS PLAYED BY TIM CURRY! really what he appears to be, or is he secretly plotting to eradicate everything that is good and wholesome in the world, starting with puppies and apple pie?
Clue played it really well; he's only revealed as the villain in maybe the last five minutes of the movie and even then it makes perfect freaking sense. This just goes to show that the world needs more murder mystery parodies.

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Ratings
321 1
Troy NY
What's New Scooby-Doo did mix in some whodunits during its too-brief run (2002-05), but I think the reason they went back to the tried & true formula was because-----it's what the fans want. Today's kids have seen the reruns from the classic days (1969-86) time and again thanks to CN flooding the schedule with Scooby repeats during the late 90's and early '00's, and don't want Scooby to go all-CSI on them, if you will.

Dec 14, 2006
Ratings
1 1
Lakewood, Washington
Not necessarily, I've been a Scooby fan since the mid 90's and I have seen pretty much all of the classic episodes via Cartoon Network/TBS/TNT reruns, etc..; having actual whodunit stories every once in a while was pretty cool plus the regular fake ghosts and monster stories were always pretty awesome. However having real ghosts and monsters in the shows are a great idea as well, in select episodes(specifically the 1983-1985 ones) Daphne and to a lesser extent Fred and Velma faced real supernatural foes and it was pretty neat. If HB and Warner Brothers had used real ghosts and monsters every now and then works just as well as ther fake ghosts and monsters formula.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
Mar 13, 2002
Winner's Circle
What's New Scooby-Doo did mix in some whodunits during its too-brief run (2002-05), but I think the reason they went back to the tried & true formula was because-----it's what the fans want. Today's kids have seen the reruns from the classic days (1969-86) time and again thanks to CN flooding the schedule with Scooby repeats during the late 90's and early '00's, and don't want Scooby to go all-CSI on them, if you will.
They did flood it with reruns at that time, but IIRC those also included 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo and other "the monsters are real" versions like Reluctant Werewolf.

Don't get me wrong, here, I don't want it to go back to the way it was in Reluctant Werewolf or Ghoul School where Scooby and Shaggy just hang out with the real Dracula and Wolfman. I think the monsters should be mysterious and it should be an open question as to whether they are real or not until the gang solves the mystery.

Eric B

May 28, 2001
Ratings
NYC
www.erictb.info
Well, people complained so much about the first time fake monsters were dropped, and it became apart of the whole anti-Scrappy sentiment (he was actually blamed for this); so now, while they may toy with the idea once in awhile, they try to keep the original format. (The exception being Get A Clue).

TheGunheart

Darkness and Disgrace
Jul 26, 2009
Ratings
Sitting in my tin can...
Frankly, I wouldn't have minded Zombie Island being the "finale" of Scooby-Doo. Really, the whole set up implies some indefinite point after the TV series, and if you don't count ones like The Reluctant Werewolf, it's their first time encountering a real monster.

Although I do find it funny that Freddy and Daphne's belief in weather or not ghosts are real has been switched.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
Ratings
584 6
New York
Zombie Island and the Witch's Ghost were dark movies for Scooby Doo, though Scooby Doo experiement with a more darker edge before. For example the 13 Ghosts Of Scooby Doo is by far the most darkest Scooby Doo series to date.

And the Hanna Barbara Superstar 10 series movies particularly the Warewolf movie had a darker tone than Scooby is acumstant to.

Aug 6, 2004
California
I like both types of Scooby-Doo whether solving crimes or saving the world from monsters, either way its fun for me. But yah I have to admit its more fun seeing them defeat monsters, mainly Shaggy and Scooby since there chickens and all. Which is why I've been really enjoying Scooby-Doo and the Goblin King and Scooby-Doo and the Samuri Sword. I hope they stay on this path.

Mar 24, 2006
Ratings
Southern California
I see where you are coming from. The movie was very well done, but I would't have wanted to see episodes like this. I prefer the classic "whodunit" theme. It was fun to be able to guess who the culprit was. The real monster thing is cool for the movies but I wouldn't want to see the style of the show change for it.

Silverstar

Rock the Dragon
Jun 4, 2007
Ratings
Cartoonland
I'm no Scooby aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but why must it be strictly one or the other? Why not both? The Mysteries, Inc. gang could unmask fake ghosts and ghouls in some installments and encounter real monsters in others, sometimes both within the same series or even episodes. I don't see the 2 as mutually exclusive.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
Oct 5, 2008
Ratings
The U.S.A.
I'm no Scooby aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but why must it be strictly one or the other? Why not both? The Mysteries, Inc. gang could unmask fake ghosts and ghouls in some installments and encounter real monsters in others, sometimes both within the same series or even episodes. I don't see the 2 as mutually exclusive.

I 2nd this statement, Scooby should be able to have Real & Fake Ghouls in the same series.:anime:

I think the People at Hanna-Barbera/WB are just Lazy nowadays.

(Zombie Island really is one of the best Scooby DTV's though, IMO that is.)

TheGunheart

Darkness and Disgrace
Jul 26, 2009
Ratings
Sitting in my tin can...
Heck, it'd be pretty awesome if they dealt with both in the same series. Then instead of it being just a question of whether it's Mr. Jenkins or Red Herring under the mask, there would also be the possibility that it's a real monster.

Dec 14, 2006
Ratings
1 1
Lakewood, Washington
I am a huge Scooby fan btw, in most of the classic SD episodes they did encounter fake ghosts and monsters but what most people don't realize is that Scooby and friends encountering real supernatural foes goes all the way back to the New Scooby Doo Movies; Boomerang had on the New SD Movies episodes where the gang met The Addams Family and Jeannie, both those shows had real ghosts, monsters and a couple of real genies and the gang looked like they were having fun most of the time. Silverstar, what you described bascically sounds like what I would do if I wrote for Scooby, I guess there's always fan fiction though. BTW, i've often said that for shows like Scooby Doo and a few other tv shows and movies with huge followings should fire the writers and just have the fans write the shows, that way the shows and movies would be a lot less fun without the fans having to deal with writers screwing up their favorite tv shows and movies.

magicdog

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
Las Vegas
If anything we should get a series of DTVs featuring the continuation of SD Mystery Incorporated. The creative folks behind that show had a 3rd season set up if they got the go ahead and I would have loved to have seen that gang at Miskatonic University while mentored by Harlan Ellison. We missed a real opportunity there!

Aug 20, 2017
Ratings
84 9
There's one thing to note, that Zombie Island wasn't meant to be a Scooby-Doo film when it was originally made. The biggest clue that leads to this as the designs of the zombies resemble that of the characters from "Swat Kats", making me believe that the film was originally meant to be a film about the Swat Kats that got changed to a Scooby-Doo film at some point in production.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Stephanie Sheh voicing Izzy Park the same way she does Sailor Moon has me considering the chance of Nazneen Contractor dubbing some "Sailor Moon" episodes I currently dont plan to buy.
Watched the newest Halloween yesterday
I can’t express my unpopular opinions without someone yelling or disagreeing at me why I’m a monster for thinking that way (liking adult animation, SpongeBob’s new episodes are inferior, etc.)
If you have Starz Encore Family (Not Kids & Family, but Family...) 1 hour as of this post, they'll be playing "Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas" and "Sonic Christmas Blast". (3:19pm-4:06pm EST) Both will play again at some point.
I'm at episode 50 of {Batman: TAS ∧ Hey Arnold}.