So did everyone have the same idea at the same time or something?

Style

The Green Style Returns
Seriously. JLU, Teen Titans, Alex Ross's Justice, they're all doing the same thing. They're all doing the "villains unite" thing. JLU and Justice are both Litterally doing the Legion of Doom. And Teen Titans, well, they might as well do the Legion of doom too.

It's funny. Last year, I kept thinking, "Man, I wish they would do the Legion of Doom from Superfriends again. This year, I'm inundated with it. Every possible format. Teen Titans even invented it's own Legion-esqu group.

So did Bruce Timm, Alex Ross, and Glen Murakami all get together at some point, drinking, playing strip poker, spin the bottle, etc, watch the "Challenge of the Superfriends" DVD, all simultaneously say "I SHOULD DO THAT!" Giggle at it, and proceed to make out to finish the evening?

Or does this not only prove I have unholy psionic powers, but that they are actually growin in intensity?

Gokou Ruri

Wielder of the dark arts.
I was thinking that too. The comics are kind of mixing the Legion of Doom and Cadmus arcs together (OMAC, in a way) Plus some things having to do with the characters in the comic and cartoon..

-Martian Manhunter being "killed" in the comics and him suddenly leaving on the show? Another interesting convienence.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Probably the latter. I like these kinds of stories but I kind of wish they hadn't gone in that direction with Teen Titans. The good news is that a villian team-up isn't the kind of story that would have to have a cop-out ending. Even so, Titans East even managed that.

Style

The Green Style Returns
GMahler said:
Style, your powers are quite formidable and your third paragraph is quite disturbing. Don't you realize Bruce Timm is married?
Ofcourse. I said he was drunk, didn't I?

[xspoilerx=Standard humor disclaimer]I'm joking.[/xspoilerx]

I had said before that this may be D C's way of promoting Infinite Crisis. It is as big as J L U vs Legion of Doom and Teen Titans vs Brotherhood of Evil storylines. It is to celebrate the company's 20th anniversary in a new continuity thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Shadow09

I think as long as DC gets their product out there and people will notice it and buy it.. then all the best to DC for finally doing something write and trying to catch up with Marvel

Hero Supreme

Mr Jinx No More
but teen titans and jlu often have eerie similarities. just last season, the end and divided we fall both had doppleganger showdowns.

RAGNAROK13

WHERES A NUKE WHEN YOUNEEDIT?
another similarity: both The LOD and the BOE have giant, genius apes running them(well in the BOE, he's 2nd in command) both grodd and mizure mallah are the bigwigs in the evil legues

Silly McGooses

....the idea of Supervillains grouping up isn't exactly NEW. I don't remember a time when something along those lines wasn't going on.

b.t.

this kinda thing happens all the time....several "for instances":

i remember when we were just finishing pre-production on "secret origins", we were mortified to see mark waid doing a "white martian" arc in the comics that had many eerie similarities....

same thing happened with "a better world": the way flash gets out of lord batman's restraints was almost EXACTLY duplicated in "die another day" ....our ep was already overseas being animated when the 007 flick came out, so WE knew we hadn't ripped them off, but we were sure we were going to be accused of it (fortunately nobody ever mentioned it)....also, the climax of "die" was uncannily similar to the end of "savage time", which of course had already aired by the time "die" was in the theatres (i'm not for a second suggesting they ripped us off, but the two are REALLY close, it really weirded us out)....

we did STAS' "legacy" right around the same time dc did THEIR "superman-as-darkseid's-adopted-son" story in the comics, completely unbeknownst to us...and so on and so on....

by the way, it turns out there are several more instances of TITANS and JLU doing accidentally/coincidentally similar stories and situations again this coming season....(and one INTENTIONALLY similar bit....but i'm not saying anymore about THAT :evil:).....

Style

The Green Style Returns
b.t. said:
by the way, it turns out there are several more instances of TITANS and JLU doing accidentally/coincidentally similar stories and situations again this coming season....(and one INTENTIONALLY similar bit....but i'm not saying anymore about THAT :evil:).....
:eek:
So we're getting a semi JLU/Teen Titans crossover? dear god...

Unless you're just talking about a certain *someone* on JLU and a certain kid *someone* on Teen Titans...

Doomsday

Superman`s Killer
b.t. said:
this kinda thing happens all the time....several "for instances":

i remember when we were just finishing pre-production on "secret origins", we were mortified to see mark waid doing a "white martian" arc in the comics that had many eerie similarities....

same thing happened with "a better world": the way flash gets out of lord batman's restraints was almost EXACTLY duplicated in "die another day" ....our ep was already overseas being animated when the 007 flick came out, so WE knew we hadn't ripped them off, but we were sure we were going to be accused of it (fortunately nobody ever mentioned it)....also, the climax of "die" was uncannily similar to the end of "savage time", which of course had already aired by the time "die" was in the theatres (i'm not for a second suggesting they ripped us off, but the two are REALLY close, it really weirded us out)....

we did STAS' "legacy" right around the same time dc did THEIR "superman-as-darkseid's-adopted-son" story in the comics, completely unbeknownst to us...and so on and so on....

OOOOOOOOOOO That me guess in TT we find out the true mastermind is Slade and in JLU we find out Darksied is leading the LoD. Intentionally similar bit, what could that be...... a crossover maybe.:eek:

Oh snap, Style beat me by throwing that crossover idea first. Sneaky devil.

John Cage

Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong
Style said:
Unless you're just talking about a certain *someone* on JLU and a certain kid *someone* on Teen Titans...
Hmm... it's about time JLU and Teen Titans did something like this. I mean, yeah, they're pretty different and all that, but some sort of psuedo-crossover is due (outside of "Wicked Scary" and all that, but that's pretty minor).

Have a good day.
John Cage

maxnugget

Avenger of evil and ignorance
Doomsday said:
OOOOOOOOOOO That me guess in TT we find out the true mastermind is Slade and in JLU we find out Darksied is leading the LoD. Intentionally similar bit, what could that be...... a crossover maybe.:eek:
Yes, because despite his adult appearance, Slade is actually 13 years old, just like every other character on Teen Titans. Or maybe Slade's an adult but he's a kid at heart? Who knows...

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Howdy,

If you wanted to get all hoity-toity stink intellectual about it, you could try and find root causes that pop up in interesting ways through pop culture storyteller's collective unconscious. Sci-fi especially has a knack for finding ways to talk about things that frighten us without directly talking about them. Back in the 50's, the preponderance of monster movies, where hordes of unthinking non-human enemies that could not be reasoned with attacked humanity (or, more specifically, America), was often viewed as a veiled way to talk about the paranoia over the threat of the Communist Horde coming to take away our freedoms and turn us into automatons like them. In addition to being about a guy in a rubber suit stomping on Tokyo, the early Godzilla movies are pretty explicit parables about the threat of nuclear weapons. I think the 80's and 90's trend towards conspiracy theory spoke to a fear of the increasing amounts of surveillance and the loss of privacy, and the vague fear that the people who claim to be working in our interests had more nefarious ends in mind.

Today's headlines are about global terrorism, where the surface view is of small enemy cells flying under the radar to penetrate our society so they can attack on multiple fronts, but this view masks a decentralized and much larger organization being controlled by a single intelligence acting behind the scenes, with no ostensible motivation beyond our destruction. Sound familiar?

Of course, this could also be an interpretation getting imposed by an outside mind that's afraid of things and seeks a productive but controllable way to express that fear and finds it in comics and cartoons. Who Interprets the Interpreter? :p

-- Ed/Ace

Hero Supreme

Mr Jinx No More
This upcoming TT episode sounds familiar:

Episode 58: Kole
While in the Arctic Circle
, the Teen Titans once again take on Dr. Light. And when an accident sends the Titans through the ice, they discover a new exotic Underworld --and two new superheroes, Kole and her caveman sidekick Gnarrk

Christopher Glennon

Punch Drunk Flounder
Staff member
Reporter
b.t. said:
Wow, I just assumed one influenced the other in that case.

Although I don't see b.t. denying that drunk Super Friends slumber party. Anyone got a BTAS Bible? "Do you swear to tell untruths and nothing but untruths so help you Grodd?"

I dunno, do we see connections just because we're geeks? Heck, I can't watch Smallville with a possessed Lionel Luthor and not think Brainiac.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Man, I wish I got paid for every time someone on this forum said they believed that Warner Brothers Discovery was going to ax, erase or sell off the Looney Tunes franchise. I could retire tomorrow.
Why do so many adults with no kids get so hopping mad about the existence of preschool shows and blocks? "Grr! I hate Cartoonito and Mickey Mouse Fun House! How dare they make preschool shows!" I don't get it.
Did the forum drop the swear rule? I've seen serious high tier swears and adult terms.
Just 10 more days until part 2 of Invincible's second season. Let's go!!!
I love how The Naked Gun films list bit parts by their line of dialogue. I wish more films did that rather than generic "Guy 1", "Woman on street", etc.

Featured Posts