So apparently Space Jam 2 is actually happening

Latest News

SuperSuck64

Lazy Aspiring Cartoonist
Mar 2, 2018
Ratings
If this Instagram post from SpringHill Entertainment (LeBron James' company) is to be believed, apparently they're finally going to make it. Terence Nance (Random Acts of Flyness) is directing and Ryan Coogler (Black Panther) is producing.

I just hope the Looney Tunes are traditionally animated.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,629 7
Framingham, MA
Potentially unpopular opinion on an animation board:

Space Jam was nowhere NEAR as bad as Looney Tunes fans say it was. Yeah, it's wasn't GREAT either, but people act like it was the second coming of Cool World. It wasn't. It had some good points.

Besides, any film that has Bill Murray playing himself in the exact manner this movie had him playing himself automatically has merit. Automatically.

SuperSuck64

Lazy Aspiring Cartoonist
Mar 2, 2018
Ratings

Space Jam was nowhere NEAR as bad as Looney Tunes fans say it was. Yeah, it's wasn't GREAT either, but people act like it was the second coming of Cool World. It wasn't. It had some good points.

Besides, any film that has Bill Murray playing himself in the exact manner this movie had him playing himself automatically has merit. Automatically.
My thoughts exactly. It's dumb, corporate, and dated, but darn it, it's fun.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World

I'm not even sure if that is an unpopular opinion. Space Jam seems to be pretty well liked online from what I've seen at least. It is a dated 90's commercial in the form of a movie, but that is also what makes it fun and appealing. Granted, nostalgia probably plays a role in how people see the movie too, but it is entertaining.

I'd still be surprised if this sequel comes off the ground. This is more solid proof of the sequel being made than all of the rumors we've heard about for years, but I don't know if they'd go through with it. I guess I'm still a bit skeptical after years of rumors. Getting more Looney Tunes shorts due to the sequel would be pretty neat though.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
925 16
Springfield, MO
Yeah, I think Space Jam (1996) was liked, but "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" (2003) was despised. So despised that it maybe threw some hatred back on "Space Jam" for starting the trend, but...Space Jam was well liked, last I checked.

"Space Jam 2" though? Well, I have my doubts...

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,503 8
Actually, Back In Action received a bit more praise due to the characters acting more naturally, though Space Jam does have the nostalgia factor and a cool premise.

I'm just curious as to who will voice the Looney Tunes, if it'll be the current voice actors or as many of the originals from the movie. For Granny and Yosemite Sam, it'll obviously be Candi Milo and Fred Tatasciore given that they're the current voices for them on New Looney Tunes, and how June Foray died and Maurice LaMarche threw his voice out for the latter so badly that he had to have a month of vocal rest. For those like Bugs and Daffy, it'll either be Jeff Bergman and Dee Bradley Baker, or maybe Eric Bauza like in the Pete Browngardt shorts.

SuperSuck64

Lazy Aspiring Cartoonist
Mar 2, 2018
Ratings
Yeah, I think Space Jam (1996) was liked, but "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" (2003) was despised. So despised that it maybe threw some hatred back on "Space Jam" for starting the trend, but...Space Jam was well liked, last I checked.

Back in Action is definitely the better movie in terms of faithfulness to its source material. It also helps that it's pretty funny, too. The Walmart joke rivals Wayne's World for "best ironic product placement".

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Jul 29, 2017
Ratings
359 10
If they're making a Space Jam sequel now, I think the plot should have the Looney Tunes and LeBron James go up against an all-female race of athlete aliens similar to the Gems in Steven Universe.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,629 7
Framingham, MA

Looney Tunes Back In Action was made in part in response to backlash from Space Jam. Brendan Fraser trashed the movie a few times in interviews promoting BIA.