"Smiling Friends" News & Discussion Thread

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
This is dropping on January 9th.

^ Basically what if Tig n' Seek was an Adult Swim cartoon for anyone that is just now learning about this.

Theagames10

In an epic twist of events, Adult Swim is actually airing A FULL SEASON of Smiling Friends as we speak, and many people were surprised by the looks of it!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
SDCC panel info.

SMILING FRIENDS Discussion and Q&A
Friday, July 22, 12:00 – 12:45 PM PT
Join Michael Cusak and Zach Hadel, the creators behind the new Adult Swim animated series SMILING FRIENDS to find out what’s in store for Pim, Charlie and the rest of the company dedicated to bringing happiness to their bizarre yet colorful world.
Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront

HildaFanatic

CartoonFanatic
A new special premieres August 7 on HBO Max.
bluechick2.png

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
NYCC chatter - season 2 coming next year, in production now, will use 2D, 3D, stop motion and live-action content, Mr. Frog returns.

HildaFanatic

CartoonFanatic
My hope for season 2 is that the show focuses more on the Smiling Friends aspect.

That means having more of Pim & Charlie going out and making their clients happy, because that is the supposed premise of the series.

But I was disappointed when only half of season 1 had that. The other half was just completely random adventures that had nothing to do with the supposed setup.

If every episode had the formula and plot structure of the pilot, I think I would have liked season 1 a lot more.

But the only other episode to really recapture that initial greatness was Shrimp's Oddysey.

So my hope for season 2 is to have more of Charlie and Pim bringing smiles to their clients' faces, rather than a bunch of random and unrelated misadventures.

dezIsNosredna

This sneak peek for Season 2 was revealed at NYCC (New York Comic Con) last week:

My only notable spoiler-free takeaway from this preview is that a. many people don't like the commentary from the camera person and that b. this is my favorite comment under the video:

@goobert5485

2 days ago
does anyone in this comment section smoke weed

Good night!

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
From the front page of AnimeSuperhero.com:

"Smiling Friends Returns May 12 On Adult Swim"​

vlcsnap-2024-04-01-01h13m55s623.jpg

"Finally, some movement on the return of Smiling Friends! Adult Swim’s April Fools joke this year was three episodes of Season 1 re-rendered entirely in puppetry. Lest you think that was it (which is what they wanted you to think), they followed this up with the surprise debut of the Season 2 premiere.

And after this, we got a card that stated “Season Two of Smiling Friends returns May 12 at midnight, next day on Max. Because the only thing better than more Smiling Friends is more Smiling Friends.” I agree!

The show premiered in January of 2022, which feels like ages ago, at least from the perspective of desperately wanting more from a TV show that’s eight 11-minute shorts long. Even though just one episode was on the schedule that night, Adult Swim surprise-dumped the entire season in one evening. I watched it all and laughed my head off."

Read the full article here.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
You know something? I actually liked Smiling Friends than I thought it would be. At first, I wasn't really interested in it because I wasn't too crazy about Adult Swim's programming (at least the contemporary ones anyway), but yesterday , I did give the show a fair shot, and yeah I actually do enjoy it for what it was. It's like a palette cleanser.

Smiling Friends did remind me of Adult Swim from the early 2000's, but fresh and new, and I can see why it did caught on for alot of people. I'm kinda interested on what the second season will be about.

P.S: I love Pim. He's cute.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts