SIP Animation's Updated Site with the THIRD W.I.T.C.H. Theme Song & Season 2 Info

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Ratings
Las Vegas, NV
With the premiere of W.I.T.C.H. in France on Wednesday, French company SIP Animation has updated their website. It definitely appears, just like with Winx Club, the European theme song is different from the American one. Visiting their website at:

http://www.sipanimation.com

If you visit the English section, click on "Our Productions," "Current," and click the right arrow, you'll see "W.I.T.C.H. Season 1." Click on "Find out more," and you'll hear the THIRD theme song for W.I.T.C.H. ("The Power of Five" on the old clubwitch.com was first, followed of course by our theme song, the one with "We are...W.I.T.C.H."). The theme song plays in English on that page, although definitely with a heavy accent. If you navigate through the French section in the same manner, you'll hear the French version, which is what I'm assuming will air on Wednesday over there. The English page doesn't appear to let you listen to the full theme though, although it appears the French page does. Update: Listening to part of song on the French page, we've already heard part of it in the U.S. On the ABC Family end credits for episode 3 and 4 IIRC, you hear the exact same riff when they show "SIP Animation in Association with Jetix" before the end credits.

Going to the "In Development" section, they now list W.I.T.C.H. Season 2, and here is its description:

After restoring peace to Meridian, W.I.T.C.H enjoys a well-deserved but short-lived break. The new threat is called Nerissa, a former Guardian seeking to lay her hands on the Heart of Candracar and impose her dominion over the universe.

ShadowBrat

What are you Looking at!?
Dec 4, 2004
Secret Underground lair
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say That the french theme was probably the Original, recorded to help set the Opening to Animation, The english one was probably recorded at the same time so they could use it for when they Shopped around the Pilot at trade shows (such as Mipcom).

It must have been scrapped for the final version because the accent made it unusable for American TV.

Though I'm not sure Why they Went in a new direction with "We are Witch" instead of re-recording the original with new singers.

I guess I'll have to wait for the French Version to air on Canadian TV to see if it made it to their final version too.

It's Catchy though: "Witch déchaine la force de l'eau et de l'air... Le feu et la terre..."

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Ratings
Las Vegas, NV
ShadowBrat said:
It's Catchy though: "Witch déchaine la force de l'eau et de l'air... Le feu et la terre..."
Could you, or anyone else who can do it, help translate Prince Kido's posts from French in this forum:

http://forum.aceboard.net/p-931-3468-61945-1.htm

It appears, from the very basic Babelfish Altavista translator, he knows about the production of W.I.T.C.H. and also knew about the different theme song before SIP updated their site on Monday (His post is dated February 12, 2005). If I knew enough French, I'd post at that board and ask for someone to create an mp3 of the French theme when it airs. The French debut of the show will be at 2:35 am ET Wednesday morning, or 11:35 pm PT Tuesday evening, according to the World Time Server.

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Ratings
Las Vegas, NV
On what channel will it be aired? I can receive TV3 only here in the Netherlands.
Is TV3 also known as France 3, at http://www.france3.fr ?Because you're in luck if you are. It's supposed to be airing at 8:35 am Wednesday morning in France until 9:30 am, but I suggest starting watching or recording around 8:30 am. According to the World Time Server, Netherlands and France are in the same time zone right now, so it would be 8:30 am there too.

ShadowBrat

Dec 4, 2004
Secret Underground lair
Tommy Lawson said:
Could you, or anyone else who can do it, help translate Prince Kido's posts from French in this forum
OOO... That's a tall order:sweat: Not only does he use a very proper french, but slang as well. But for you guys, I'll do it. We Witch fans have to stick together;) 'sides... there is some very interesting insider information.

Prince Kido said:
Greetings all!
I will do my best, as best that I can to awnser the questions of Bloubilou & Co.
Currently Working at studio SIP animation On the future Jetix/Hasbro series A.T.O.M., I find myself 2 floors from the production of W.I.T.C.H. Upon wich are working a few of my old colleagues from Tarzan, Passiflores, Bécassine, l'Odyssée, du CFT Gobelins...etc ( The World of Animation is a small one!!!).
Having a style close to Disnye's and certain Mangas, and being a fan of Barbucci and Canepa and by extention of Witch, evrybody saw ma as working on the Character designs (Since that's my speciality) However the ex-studio Saban and now SIP animation did not think of me in the immediate, quel dommage! But 1 year ago the studio remembers a work that I did and contacts me to work on the production of the secondary characters! Being a little fearful of the animated adaption of this Adorable Comic Book, but needing none the less to work, I go to the meeting so they can show me the Graphic Bible as well as a sort of a semi-prototype of a pilot episode.
To my great surprise the proto-pilot is wonderful and respects the look and ambiance of Witch, Then I discover the graphic Bible, Line art of all the principal characters, and it is So the drama(lol).
In spite of the undeniable technical graphic quality, The Characters have been very "Mangafied" in order to give the series an animation that's more in Vogue, and to try to enlarge the target audience to include adults or at the very least teenagers. I do not hide my dissapointment, and unfortunatly for me at that time, The director chosen by SIP to adapt Witch, hears me argumenting my dissapointment to one of the principal desingers and I get chewed out on the spot without fully understanding what has befallen me!!! A great big guy with the head of a bull, huge jaw Gives me a chilling look as well as a sermon on the work of a director, letting me know that at the age of 10 he could draw 20 times better than Barbucci et Canepa and that it's his unmittigated right to adapter Witch in a manga-Toatally Spies version because the Comic book is only good for "Little Californian 8 year old Brats" !!!!! Although intimidated by this mass of cold blood, I retorted that he could have declined the job if it was only to de-natureise the spirit of Witch and concluded by saying I need to take time off to finish my christmas shopping, wich left him speechless, he then left me in the hall alone without so much as a goodbye! A few days later the studio calls to tell me, unabashed, That the famous Mark Gordon, director with the reputation of being machineist, sexist, homophobe, violent...and it goes on like this... , wanted nothing to do with me on HIS production!
I have since gotten over what had to be the worst proffetional experience of my life, and went to work on other projects, like SIP's A.T.O.M..
As for the "Totally Spies" style That Crystal (I belive...) Talked about, that's normal since Luan Vu Ba, who designed TS Worked on the Witch characters, until he slammed the door at SIP afet a chilling discussion with ...Guess who !!... Mark Gordon!
In the end, I'm not a big fan of the final version, with certain exceptions of Ideas and settings, But the Witch girls are way too Mangafied for my taste. It's a shame, the charm has vanished, snif!
Suddenly, with Witch seemingly off to a good start, the second season has entered into production this past monday along with the (French) premiere of the show. The team has not changed much, With the notable exception that the Gordon is gone [ShadowBrat's note: Good Riddence:p ], and in his place is a certain Norman Leblanc, An animation director that I don't know much about.
And suddenly I am summoned by the staff of Witch to give me tests to do for Witch 2, and want to snag me Away from ATOM !! Incredible !! Lol !! This being Said it's all very flattering but i'll only integrate the team in 2 monts time as backup, it wouldn't be very good to just drop my work on ATOM on the spot because the production team is nice even if I don't find the series isn't personally motivating...
*gasp* *pant*:yawn: That's the first post, I'm gonna take a break before I do the others that one was a long one:sweat:

Wow. Apparently the formula even spreads to European cartoons... great cartoons don't become great without the unexpected and unwanted help of internal controversy.

Oy... the constant problems of having something that was originally developed for one medium (in this case, the books) adapted to another (the TV series). There's always arguments of what needs to be sacrificed in adaptations and which direction they should be aimed in. Looks like W.I.T.C.H. is no different.

I'm rereading that post again, and I'm wondering... in this case, was it worth changing the designs just enough so that the show would draw in not just the original target audience, but teens and older fans too? Having not read any of the books, did the design change make that much of a difference?

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Ratings
Las Vegas, NV
ShadowBrat said:
OOO... That's a tall order:sweat: Not only does he use a very proper french, but slang as well. But for you guys, I'll do it. We Witch fans have to stick together;) 'sides... there is some very interesting insider information.

*gasp* *pant*:yawn: That's the first post, I'm gonna take a break before I do the others that one was a long one:sweat:
That was the Prince Kido post I thought was the most interesting from the Babelfish translator, and thank you for helping translate that. I had the impression he knew something about the show's actual production, so that's why I wanted to know more about it.

ShadowBrat

Dec 4, 2004
Secret Underground lair
Freedom Fighter said:
I'm rereading that post again, and I'm wondering... in this case, was it worth changing the designs just enough so that the show would draw in not just the original target audience, but teens and older fans too? Having not read any of the books, did the design change make that much of a difference?
Well, yes and no... As a longtime reader of the Comic ( if you can call a little over 3 years a long time:sweat: ), I can call the TV designs "acceptable" as in they look like who they are supposed to be. However is akin to being graded a "C", as in it's not a failure and it could be worse, but getting a "B" or an "A" would be better.

But there is a sertain Charm that the series had that is absent from the anime. A certain (What I like to call) Barbucci-ness has been removed, especially expression wise. Will is the biggest victim of the design change, she had a certain warmth to her wich was replaced by a certain Blandness in expression.
Cornelia suffered a similar fate, she gave off an air of regal elegance, wich was replaced with a more "Valley girl" attitude.
Irma lost her figure (But to be honest I didn't even noticed until someone pointed it out) but other than that facial wise she's still pretty much accurate to the book.
Hay lin Had a certain cuteness to her in the book (probably due to her size and waif-like stature) wich is gone in the show when they put more meat on her bones (possibly to make her look less annorexic)
Taranee is the one who suffered the least changes design wise, she's pretty much book accurate (Minus the Barbucci-ness factor of course)

Martin

The unseen lover of Irma
Nov 17, 2004
Wijk bij Duurstede, NL
home.versatel.nl
Tommy Lawson said:
Is TV3 also known as France 3, at http://www.france3.fr ?Because you're in luck if you are. It's supposed to be airing at 8:35 am Wednesday morning in France until 9:30 am, but I suggest starting watching or recording around 8:30 am. According to the World Time Server, Netherlands and France are in the same time zone right now, so it would be 8:30 am there too.
Alas, I was wrong. Thanks anyway. I have bookmarked the site of france 3 and I will surelly add it on the links page of my W.I.T.C.H. site.

I like "The Power of Five" the best. :sad: I still think they should have used it in the show. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE "We are....W.i.t.c.h" but, theres something about "The Power of Five" that I like better. I guess its because it has more of a girly tone to it or something. :shrug:

May 24, 2004

French opening theme lyrics:

Pouvoir magiques secrets

Pour 5 amies désormais

Elues pour sauver le monde

Transformations éclairs
Avec une âme de guerrières

La lumière les inonde

Alors toutes les forces maléfiques

Vont se heurter aux pouvoirs des collégiennes

Qui deviennent des magiciennes

WITCH

Déchaîne la force de l eau et de l’air

Le feu et la terre

Libère les forces de l’univers

Tous ses grands mystères

WITCH

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...