Sinclair To Launch 'KidsClick' Multiplatform Programming Block For Children

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
I noticed that their promos are updated to no longer show the "kidsclicktv.com" web address.
Even the Max Steel one, which still uses the Team Turbo logo, instead of the regular logo, which is shown on their website.

They have a few URLs. Kidsclick.tv seems to be the proper one now.

Takao

Imagine Communications and Sinclair Broadcast Group Team Up to Deliver ‘KidsClick’ Content from Public Cloud
Sinclair Broadcast Group establishes industry milestone by leveraging cloud-native public environment to distribute children’s programming to affiliates
DALLAS, 17 January 2018 —
Imagine Communications is working closely with Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (“SBG”) (Nasdaq: SBGI) to streamline and customize the distribution of U.S. broadcasters’ children’s programming by centralizing playout operations in the public cloud. The new implementation, which went live-to-air in mid-October 2017 and is among the first — if not the first — instance of a major broadcaster moving a critical operation to a fully virtualized public environment, enables SBG to realize a variety of cost and business advantages by leveraging the agility, scalability and elasticity of a cloud-native and geo-dispersed environment.

KidsClick, a three-hour block of age-appropriate children’s programming airing daily on a number of broadcast stations, is SBG’s newest entry into the program content arena. By centralizing the playout and ad trafficking operations of KidsClick in a virtualized environment using commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) equipment, SBG is empowered to deliver programming and advertising that can be customized to the requirements of individual affiliates. This approach significantly increases efficiency, flexibility and speed to market, when compared to a traditional on-premises approach.

“The scalability and customization capabilities that the public cloud approach offers is unlike anything we could do using a traditional, on-premises model,” said Del Parks, CTO, SBG. “And since we’re only delivering this programming for a few hours a day, the flexibility of originating in the public cloud is a far superior alternative to purchasing traditional equipment that would sit idle for many hours at a time. We also gain experience and confidence in this operating model that we can use for future cloud deployments.”

KidsClick operations are powered by Versio™ Platform, Imagine’s modular, software-only and cloud-native playout solution designed for fully virtualized environments, both private and public. In the KidsClick model, an instance of Versio, running a unique playlist and ad load, is assigned to each time zone. In the future, stations may customize programming and deploy targeted advertising to a specific broadcast area. This inherently scalable approach enables different versions of content and new affiliates to be added to the KidsClick distribution system almost instantaneously, simply by spinning up a new instance of Versio. Required resources are automatically allocated in the cloud, and then released when those resources are no longer needed.

In addition to near-limitless scalability and resource elasticity, SBG can take advantage of running an operating business model and Software as a Service (SaaS) pricing scheme, eliminating dependence on capital expenditures normally associated with traditional channel expansion or technology refreshes. Powered by Zenium™, Imagine’s pure microservices platform, Versio Platform is designed to be futureproof, incorporating new capabilities and features as they become available, as opposed to the forklift upgrades that a hardware-based solution often requires. The agility enabled by Versio Platform makes it possible for SBG to spin up new channels and playlists in a short span of time and without the need to purchase or provision new equipment.

The deployment also utilizes Imagine’s SelenioFlex™ File, a file-based processing solution that is running in the public cloud. SelenioFlex File resources can be applied to any pre-produced KidsClick content requiring transcoding, format conversion, bit-rate adjustments, audio processing or any other modifications before being played out to affiliates.

SBG has centralized operations for KidsClick at its Las Vegas Network Operations Center (NOC). SBG operators keep tabs on feeds coming out of the public cloud using EPIC™ MV multiviewers from Imagine Communications. Also powered by Zenium, the UHD-ready EPIC MV enables SBG to monitor from its Las Vegas NOC the quality of program content as it is being distributed to the various SBG affiliates. Imagine worked with LTN Global Communications, which provided a managed and secure path from the public cloud to the individual stations, to assure the successful and timely delivery of content to the SBG affiliates.

“This broadcast industry first is an important positive first step showcasing the power of Versio Platform running in a public cloud environment used to streamline operations, speed to market and tap into the flexibility and reliability of a virtualized environment for the distribution of broadcast content,” said Tom Cotney, CEO of Imagine Communications, adding that the project took roughly six months from concept to deployment. “SBG is demonstrating that even the largest broadcasters and media companies in the world have the potential to thoroughly improve the performance and efficiency of their operations by moving them to virtualized, geo-dispersed environments.”

The microservices-based nature of Versio Platform and other Imagine solutions provides complete portability of operations, enabling media companies to select a deployment model that best supports their current pace of transition and comfort level with next-generation architectures.

For more information, please visit www.imaginecommunications.com.

About Imagine Communications
Imagine Communications empowers the media and entertainment industry through transformative innovation. Broadcasters, networks, video service providers and enterprises around the world rely on our optimized, futureproof, multiscreen video and revenue enablement solutions every day to support their mission-critical operations. Today, nearly half of the world’s video channels traverse our products, and our software solutions drive close to a third of global ad revenue. Through continuous innovation we are delivering the most advanced IP, cloud-enabled, software-defined network and workflow solutions in the industry. Visit www.imaginecommunications.com for more information, and follow us on Twitter @imagine_comms.

DavidVi11aronga

"Get a load of T H I S"
Here's the schedule grid
IMG_8488.jpg

Mandouga

With all due respect, David, Winx Club doesn't count, since there had been an English version (i.e., the one airing on KidsClick) before "4Licensing" (as they're known today) got their hands on it...

As for Super 4 being taken off the schedule, it may be just as well, since I recently found out that...

Twinkle was able to return the Fairy Queen to her true form in one story, but the Queen is completely ungrateful, as well as unforgiving. Instead of welcoming her back to the Enchanted Island, she tries to turn poor Twinkle into the frog the Queen was turned into (by accident), but gets "hoist by her own petard" when the spell bounces off a mirror that Ruby had brought there just in time, and all of this supposedly because of the "mistake" Twinkle in the first place. In short, Twinkle's story does not have a happy ending. That, plus, no one seemed to have told the Queen that two wrongs don't make a right. Either that or she never really understood what that meant in the first place.

This worst part is, this was meant to be a "status quo" joke. "She" tried so hard to make things right, and this is the thanks she gets? It really wasn't funny at all.

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed that they're adding a 4Kids "dub" (if one can call it that) to their schedule. However, what disappoints me more is that this block keeps showing the same episodes over and over again, etc., etc.

Incidentally, Takao, I'm not sure I understand what that thing with Imagine Communications is about. Is it going to have some effect on the block, or even website/app?

AcmeLooAlumnus

I really want to like KidsClick, but they already eliminated one of the cartoons I was actually enjoying. RoboCop: Alpha Commando was great and I miss it already. Pink Panther and Pals is the only reason I tune in anymore, as I'm a huge fan of classic cartoons (Yes, it's not a classic cartoon. It does pretend to be, though. Or, at the very least, attempts to pretend to be).

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Hmm, I've never seen Dinosaur King before...maybe I'll check this out. I'm just worried about them airing episodes out of order or something.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Hmm, I've never seen Dinosaur King before...maybe I'll check this out. I'm just worried about them airing episodes out of order or something.

Based on what I remember of Dinosaur King, the first season is pretty episodic. There are important episodes and the second season in particular had more focus, but it probably wouldn't cause too much trouble if they did air some episodes from the first season out of order.

I still don't have access to this channel, but there's not much that sounds particularly interesting to me on the lineup either. Although, I am a bit curious about what dub they have for Winx Club if it isn't the 4Kids one.

aegisrawks

Turning Mecard has a redub now. Or at least a redubbed trailer. The show is called just "Mecard" now and the Mechanimals are now Mecardimals. I hope it comes to Kidsclick.

Takao

Incidentally, Takao, I'm not sure I understand what that thing with Imagine Communications is about. Is it going to have some effect on the block, or even website/app?

No, because they've switched over to this technology months ago. It basically gives Sinclair the ability to program all of the local versions of the block seemlessly from their Las Vegas office.

Dinosaur King won't be the only 4Kids dub they'll be adding in the "near future." This really shouldn't be a surprise given the block's run by a former 4Kids employee. I'm actually surprised they air the Cinelume dub of Winx, but I guess RAI doesn't offer anyone the 4Kids version anymore.

Turning Mecard has a redub now. Or at least a redubbed trailer. The show is called just "Mecard" now and the Mechanimals are now Mecardimals. I hope it comes to Kidsclick.

Mattel seems to be more focused on YouTube than television. If BattleClaw makes it onto KidsClick I'd say it's likely Mecard eventually would. BattleClaw probably should air on TV since there are toys in stores.

aegisrawks

It turns out that Mecard is on Youtube, just like Takao said. And its been redubbed. And its region locked.

Mandouga

I really want to like KidsClick, but they already eliminated one of the cartoons I was actually enjoying. RoboCop: Alpha Commando was great and I miss it already. Pink Panther and Pals is the only reason I tune in anymore, as I'm a huge fan of classic cartoons (Yes, it's not a classic cartoon. It does pretend to be, though. Or, at the very least, attempts to pretend to be).

Last time I checked, Robocop: Alpha Commando is available on the website/app with all 40 episodes.

Also, @ Light Lucario: It's the "RAI English" version that was dubbed by a Canadian* company called Cinélume. It also has a different theme song ("Winx! If your hand is warm in mine, it will give us greater power...").

*Well, actually they're French-Canadian. They're located in Montreal, Quebec. Not only that, but their official website is in French.

AcmeLooAlumnus

Last time I checked, Robocop: Alpha Commando is available on the website/app with all 40 episodes.

Yeah, I'm too old to get into streaming things from websites. I want to watch it on my big screen HDTV. So for now I'll just enjoy Pink Panther and Pals until they add something else I'm interested in.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
Yeah, I'm too old to get into streaming things from websites.
No offense, but that shouldn't be an excuse.
My grandma is in her seventies, yet she's one of the most technologically-aware and advanced people I know.
Goes to show that...
You're never (really) too old for anything. Just saying...
Agreed. That should be a mentality for most people doing most things their younger counterparts are also doing.

Sunnydee

I've never seen Dinosaur King, but I think it's cool that the weekday schedule has such a variety of different types of shows.

Dinosaur King won't be the only 4Kids dub they'll be adding in the "near future."

If I had to guess, I'd say...Sonic X? A surprise would be Kirby: Right Back at Ya! or one of the Yu-gi-Oh!'s - at least, I think those were dubbed by 4kids, but I could be wrong.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Also, @ Light Lucario: It's the "RAI English" version that was dubbed by a Canadian* company called Cinélume. It also has a different theme song ("Winx! If your hand is warm in mine, it will give us greater power...").

*Well, actually they're French-Canadian. They're located in Montreal, Quebec. Not only that, but their official website is in French.

That's interesting. I'm kind of surprised in a way that Winx Clubs has had so many dubs. I know that it's popular in Italy, but I don't think it has that much popularity/success outside of its home country, so seeing different companies try to do their own dub for the series is kind of strange in a way.

If I had to guess, I'd say...Sonic X? A surprise would be Kirby: Right Back at Ya! or one of the Yu-gi-Oh!'s - at least, I think those were dubbed by 4kids, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if they could put a Yu-Gi-Oh! series on this block. I thought that Nickelodeon had the rights for all of the currently five dubbed series, even though they're doing virtually nothing with the first four and have treated Arc V extremely poorly to the point where they skipped over an entire season. If they could get a Yu-Gi-Oh! series, it would probably be the original DM dub. It is easily the most successful series in the U.S. and it did have pretty consistent reruns on the CW. Sonic X would also be a possibility considering how much that aired on various blocks.

Takao

I believe the third season of Winx actually has three separate English dubs: Cinelume's, 4Kids' and an in-house Nickelodeon one.

Sunnydee

I'm not sure if they could put a Yu-Gi-Oh! series on this block. I thought that Nickelodeon had the rights for all of the currently five dubbed series, even though they're doing virtually nothing with the first four and have treated Arc V extremely poorly to the point where they skipped over an entire season. If they could get a Yu-Gi-Oh! series, it would probably be the original DM dub. It is easily the most successful series in the U.S. and it did have pretty consistent reruns on the CW. Sonic X would also be a possibility considering how much that aired on various blocks.

I think you're right about Yu-Gi-Oh!. And I think it's more likely that Sonic X comes in seeing as they promoted it when the block started and as you said, it has aired on various blocks in the past run by 4kids.

I kinda hope it replaces Angry Birds on weekdays, since Angry Birds would still have a weekend spot and Sonic X would fit in nicely in a primarily action lineup.

That being said, I like the variety of shows they have been airing and how the schedule doesn't seem to worry about grouping comedies and action shows together.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts