Shout! Factory to launch TokuSHOUTsu Channel on Pluto TV

Mandouga

I...think that's only if they add "Power Rangers". For Super Sentai, they just need to talk to Toei...or whoever represents them in the U.S., which, again, for Super Sentai I don't think is Hasbro in this case, but admittedly I could be wrong.

In any case, other than Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and Ultraman, what could they possibly add that they don't have already; Metal Heroes? Discotek Media licensed one of those shows, but that's it...

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
I...think that's only if they add "Power Rangers". For Super Sentai, they just need to talk to Toei...or whoever represents them in the U.S., which, again, for Super Sentai I don't think is Hasbro in this case, but admittedly I could be wrong.

In any case, other than Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and Ultraman, what could they possibly add that they don't have already; Metal Heroes? Discotek Media licensed one of those shows, but that's it...
Well actually Hasbro/eOne licenses the Sentai brand on behalf of TOEI. However, there would be license issues when they try to put one of the widescreen shows on TokuSHOUTsu.

Mandouga

I don't see how. Shout! Factory currently has 12 Super Sentai series in its library. What you say may only apply if they put any more of them on there (i.e., ones they haven't licensed yet). Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we'll see those at least, along with the original Kamen Rider, and whatever Ultraman series that might (or might not) have. They've been showing the Super Sentai series they have on their live Shout! Factory TV channel on Twitch* for some time now. My concern is how much variety this new Pluto TV channel will have since it likely wouldn't have anything else.

SpongeBobFan2004, what exactly are you trying to get at?

*This channel can also be seen on Stirr, Xumo, and on the Shout! Factory TV app. They also have a special website dedicated to the channel. However, the channel on Pluto TV is completely separate.

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
I don't see how. Shout! Factory currently has 12 Super Sentai series in its library. What you say may only apply if they put any more of them on there (i.e., ones they haven't licensed yet). Otherwise, I'm pretty sure we'll see those at least, along with the original Kamen Rider, and whatever Ultraman series that might (or might not) have. They've been showing the Super Sentai series they have on their live Shout! Factory TV channel on Twitch* for some time now. My concern is how much variety this new Pluto TV channel will have since it likely wouldn't have anything else.

SpongeBobFan2004, what exactly are you trying to get at?

*This channel can also be seen on Stirr, Xumo, and on the Shout! Factory TV app. They also have a special website dedicated to the channel. However, the channel on Pluto TV is completely separate.

But actually, Hasbro/eOne currently has rights to the Sentai brand on behalf of TOEI. That’s why Hasbro/eOne currently owns global rights to Super Sentai and several videos are blocked on YouTube in several countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandouga

So, what are you implying, that Hasbro has the rights to the entire franchise; from Goranger, all the way to Kiramager? Or maybe you're saying that Hasbeo merely "represents" it on Toei's behalf? I sincerely doubt that either way. You make it sound like Hasbro has the power to block any of the Super Sentai shows, let alone the ones in Shout! Factory's library, from airing...or rather, streaming on this new channel. In any case, last I checked, Toei has it's own division in North America to represent all of it's TV shows (let alone its tokusatsu shows, or even its anime shows).

Last edited:

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
So, what are you implying, that Hasbro has the rights to the entire franchise; from Goranger, all the way to Kiramager? Or maybe you're saying that Hasbeo merely "represents" it on Toei's behalf? I sincerely doubt that either way. You make it sound like Hasbro has the power to block any of the Super Sentai shows, let alone the ones in Shout! Factory's library, from airing...or rather, streaming on this new channel. In any case, last I checked, Toei has it's own division in North America to represent all of it's TV shows (let alone its tokusatsu shows, or even its anime shows).
Well actually TOEI North America has the company’s licensed non-tokusatsu library for years. Their sister-company, TOEI ANIMATION has a USA division for licensing their works to other companies.

SpongeBobFan2004

entering the next level
Well actually TOEI North America has the company’s licensed non-tokusatsu library for years. Their sister-company, TOEI ANIMATION has a USA division for licensing their works to other companies.
Hasbro/eOne has international rights to the Sentai brand (except Asia) on behalf of TOEI. This is because Hasbro doesn't want their future PR adaptations to be spoiled. Also Hasbro has also blocked (not taken down) Sentai-related videos (this also includes other Saban properties they had acquired (which includes properties licensed from TOEI ANIMATION))

Mandouga

Hasbro/eOne has international rights to the Sentai brand (except Asia) on behalf of TOEI. This is because Hasbro doesn't want their future PR adaptations to be spoiled. Also Hasbro has also blocked (not taken down) Sentai-related videos (this also includes other Saban properties they had acquired (which includes properties licensed from TOEI ANIMATION))

How about a source leading to all of this?

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Actually, that's not even true. Shout has the international rights to the Super Sentai brand on behalf of Toei in terms of releasing content from said series, not Hasbro.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
But actually, videos related to Sentai on SHOUT Factory’s YouTube channel are geoblocked outside of the US.
But it still doesn't mean that Hasbro has the international rights of the Super Sentai brand. In fact, I think if Sentai does become available to stream outside North America, then I think it will be under Shout, not Hasbro.

Last edited:

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
On a related note, the Super Sentai DVDs have apparently been put on hold

Last edited:

Mandouga

No Fear! No Pain! :D.

(I wonder if they'll sub the Gurongi dialogue).

They subtitled it alright. I didn't know even know they were speaking another language at first, even if it is just a "cipher" of Japanese. In fact, I understand that when it was first shown on Japanese TV, it was left untranslated (i.e., they didn't use Japanese subtitles to translate it) in order to increase dramatic tension, or something like that.

On a related note, I would avoid Kamen Rider Agito and Ryuki if Shout Factory were to stream those shows. Agito because of the whole "sequel to Kuuga?" problem, and Ryuki because, besides being far darker then any of the other Kamen Rider shows that came before it (even by Kamen Rider standards), for all intents and purposes it plays with the viewers' emotions all the way through, including during the ending (and this was the show that as adapted into an English version...*).

*Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, which is a literal translation of "Ryuki". Furthermore, I understand that this show featured the first female Kamen Rider...to actually be called a Kamen Rider (I know she wasn't the lead, but still).

Frontier

Staff member
They subtitled it alright. I didn't know even know they were speaking another language at first, even if it is just a "cipher" of Japanese. In fact, I understand that when it was first shown on Japanese TV, it was left untranslated (i.e., they didn't use Japanese subtitles to translate it) in order to increase dramatic tension, or something like that.

On a related note, I would avoid Kamen Rider Agito and Ryuki if Shout Factory were to stream those shows. Agito because of the whole "sequel to Kuuga?" problem, and Ryuki because, besides being far darker then any of the other Kamen Rider shows that came before it (even by Kamen Rider standards), for all intents and purposes it plays with the viewers' emotions all the way through, including during the ending (and this was the show that as adapted into an English version...*).

*Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, which is a literal translation of "Ryuki". Furthermore, I understand that this show featured the first female Kamen Rider...to actually be called a Kamen Rider (I know she wasn't the lead, but still).
I would hate to think they'd skip some Rider shows because of the content, particularly because I love Agito and Ryuki.

Ryuki
has the first official female Rider but she only shows up in the movie and specials and not the actual show.

Mandouga

I would hate to think they'd skip some Rider shows because of the content, particularly because I love Agito and Ryuki.

Ryuki
has the first official female Rider but she only shows up in the movie and specials and not the actual show.

I meant that if they were to stream those shows, I personally would be skipping them. I'm sorry for any confusion.

Also, I forgot that the she doesn't show up in the actual show.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts