Should there be more Star Trek animated projects?

The Overlord

I am a big Star Trek fan, though there has only been one Star Trek animated project, the animated series from the 70s (which was good for its time). I think Star Trek gets less animated projects then say Star Wars, because Star Wars is very action based and tends towards good vs. evil conflicts, while Star Trek is less action based, more cerebral and has more gray morality (which may not appeal to today's kids).

So that being said should there be more Star Trek animated projects? If you say yes, what format should they be released in (CBS could make an animated series for streaming or direct to DVD animated movies) and what should they be about? One idea is making something about the USS Titan, the Starship Riker captains after Nemesis. I think you could easily get Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis to reprise their roles from Star Trek: The Next Generation and round out the cast with regular voice actors.

spyke

Yes, there should be more animated Star Trek projects. I also enjoyed the STAR TREK animated TV series from the 70's.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I've been saying for a while that a Star Trek cartoon would be perfect for Cartoon Network, especially since they lost the rights to air Star Wars cartoons to Disney XD as a result of Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
Yes, I certainly wouldn't mind. The 70s cartoon was more than good. Only question is who'd air it. I think on demand, where the new live show is, would be safest bet.

hobbyfan

I've been saying for a while that a Star Trek cartoon would be perfect for Cartoon Network, especially since they lost the rights to air Star Wars cartoons to Disney XD as a result of Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm.

CBS won't do business with Chumptoon Network. If they do green-light a new Star Trek cartoon, Nickelodeon would get first dibs.

The Overlord

Yes, there should be more animated Star Trek projects. I also enjoyed the STAR TREK animated TV series from the 70's.

So here's the big question, what would you want a new Star Trek animated project to be about, where should it air, who should it be aimed at and when should it be set?

Star Trek is a very broad franchise, you can tell very dark or very light hearted stories (or something in between) and stories with very different subject matter covered through out the franchise (dealing with war, natural disasters, political intrigue, cultural misunderstandings, the human condition, even legal dramas,etc).

Star Trek can be aimed at kids or adults, Discovery is aimed squarely at an older audience, but most Star Trek show shows were suitable for both kids and adults. There is also different eras of Star Trek, the 22nd century (Enterprise), the 23rd century (Discovery and the Original series) and the 24th century (The Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager).

So there is a pretty broad canvass to tell stories in this franchise, depending on which direction you want to go.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
One of the main reasons I said CN was CBS's history with Time Warner. For instance, the two companies co-own the CW, which launched in 2006 as a merger of the WB and UPN (and is close to outlasting its predecessors). And since 2011, CBS and TWX's Turner subsidiary have co-owned broadcast rights to the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. So CBS would probably consider CN for an animated Star Trek based on its previous interactions with Time Warner.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
One of the main reasons I said CN was CBS's history with Time Warner. For instance, the two companies co-own the CW, which launched in 2006 as a merger of the WB and UPN (and is close to outlasting its predecessors). And since 2011, CBS and TWX's Turner subsidiary have co-owned broadcast rights to the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. So CBS would probably consider CN for an animated Star Trek based on its previous interactions with Time Warner.
No, it would definitely be Nickelodeon. That's Viacom and they'd want to air the show themselves.

JoeMabbon

The Warrior

Star Trek would get a death slot and a one season run if they aired on Cartoon Network.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts