Should Nintendo keep co-working with known 3rd parties?

Latest News & Videos

Pokejedservo

Mega Man 3 is Classic
May 2, 2001
Rochester, NH
I know it doesn't happen on a VERY regular basis but when it happens it seems to go very well with gamers. Such as Super Mario RPG for the SNES, Legend of Zelda Oracle ot Ages/Seasons for the Gameboy Color (if I'm not mistaken) and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube. (And of COURSE a great portion of the games made by RARE if I'm not mistaken.) One was a Nintendo/Square conglomeration for the Super Mario Bros. series, the 2nd was a Nintendo/Capcom conglomeration for the Legend of Zelda series while the other one was a Nintendo/Konami conglomeration for the Metal Gear Series. (And doesn't Pac Man VS. count in this as well?) But personally I think it would be not only a excellent thing for Nintendo but for a good amount of 3rd Parties as well. (Especially those that are still in some trouble like Capcom. After all the reason why Capcom can't do a good amount of the games they could especially their 2D games is because they lost a good amount of their programming talent over the years and could Nintendo be able to help on that? Thats just one example.)

Now don't get me wrong I know that Nintendo can make good games on their own and the same applies to most 3rd parties too. But some of you might cry "But what about the PS2 and XBox don't they deserve some more good 3rd party support?" or something like that but true however the 3rd parties that most likely would co-work with Nintendo will most likely be the older ones that have been around for many years for the most part. (Like Capcom, Konami, Square, etc.) If Nintendo had a lot more support from them don't worry there are still PLENTY of other 3rd parties that'll still most likely remain neutral on the sunject like EA and such. And besides Nintendo could use more 3rd party support nowadays anyways.

So overall my question to you all is which Nintendo/known 3rd party conglomeration would you like to see? The possibilities are quite plenty here for Nintendo and known 3rd party series' as they could go to Gamecube and/or GBA or the upcoming Nintendo consoles of the future. Have any ideas?

randomguy

Came, liked Ike, and left.
Jan 5, 2002
Austin, Texas
www.texas4000.org
Actually, I'd venture to say that Nintendo's work with third and second parties is considerably better than the stuff they've developed internally.
F-Zero GX is, I think, the best example of what these collaborations can yield. It's a truly fantastic game, with the kind of visual and presentational flair that only SEGA could bring. In fact, I'd venture to say it's the best game in the series. Other Nintendo collaborations (MGS: Twin Snakes, Eternal Darkness, and a little ditty called Metroid Prime) beat out anything Nintendo has done internally, excluding maybe The Wind Waker.

So, yeah, stick with this system. So far, it's working.

Juu-kuchi

Everypony's Starry-Eyed
Jul 23, 2003
It matters not.
www.youtube.com
I wish to see Nintendo continuing to utilize third-party cooperation of games. They can build deeper relationships with Konami and Capcom, and may make some downright wonderful games in the process. They should, and for the most part, their titles that were co-produced with another company (Eternal Darkness, MGS: TTS, and F-Zero GX) are more or less a success (except sales-wise perhaps).

Pokejedservo

Mega Man 3 is Classic
May 2, 2001
Rochester, NH
Oh yes and speaking of which...

Indeed and here is a list of congolmerate projects I'd like to see... (Some are light guesses of mine while others feel a lot more definite.)

(On Nintendo properties)

SquareEnix

Legend of Zelda
Fire Emblem
Super Mario Bros. (Another sequel to SMRPG of course.)

Capcom

Super Mario Bros. (Platformer, Hey it could happen)
Donkey Kong

Konami

Metroid
Earthbound

(3rd party series')

SquareEnix

Final Fantasy
Dragon Warrior
Actraiser

Capcom

Mega Man
Darkstalkers
Street Fighter II
Vs. Series

Konami

Dance Dance Revoultion
CastleVania

Sega

Knights into Dreams
Streets of Rage
Toe Jam and Earl

And there is probably more but I'll name them later...

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Feb 26, 2002
Washington
I don't think anyone needs to touch Fire Emblem. It's perfect just the way it is. I do rather like the idea of Square-Enix helping make a new Zelda game. Capcom did a great job but we all know that Square-Enix is the king of RGP's. Another FF and/or Dragon Warrior with Nintendo helping would be fantastic stuff.

Capcom making a Mario platformer would be great if they did something similar to Viewtiful Joe but not have the slow down and speed up, and also give the bros. some fancy moves to pull off. Capcom would be great for Metroid I think. They could make a 2D Metroid like none we've ever seen! Of course Mega Man and the VS series have a ton of possibilities... I'd still love to see Mega Man in Smash Bros. and for that matter... Viewtiful Joe.

Konami and Nintendo have GOT TO MAKE Dance Dance Revolution: Nintendo Mix. That would be superb! A new collaboration for a Castlevania and or Contra game would be pretty tight stuff.

Sega and Nintendo have the potential to make some of the best games ever. Like the long desired Sonic meets Mario title, Smash Bros. VS Sega All-Stars (I still haven't been able to read that IGN insider article, anyone have access to it?), a new Knights, a new Sonic, a new Phantasy Star (not online), a new Virtual On, etc.

In fact I think Nintendo should go all out (and pay the big bucks I suppose) to make a Smash Bros. VS Everyone Else's Mascots game which would cover the history of video games as we know it. It wouldn't have to be everyone because we know for sure Rare and Naughty Dog would be out but Capcom, Konami, Namco, Sega, Hudson, Square-Enix, Atari, Eidos, EA, Universal, etc. would be more than enough.

Here's something out of left field... what if they got Bioware to work with them on making an online Zelda adventure game where you create a character and go on your own quest and be able to do stuff online. The general story is that the world is in a new age of terror and it's up to "YOU" the hero to stop it. I'd call it The Legend of Zelda: Dark Age of Hyrule and it would have cameos up the yin-yang.

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
Feb 4, 2002
Baltimore, MD
www.livejournal.com
Hyper Luigi said:
Konami and Nintendo have GOT TO MAKE Dance Dance Revolution: Nintendo Mix. That would be superb! A new collaboration for a Castlevania and or Contra game would be pretty tight stuff.
I think that's what Donkey Konga's supposed to be...

I'd love for Square-Enix to help Nintendo make a REAL sequel to Super Mario RPG for the SNES, that includes a real comeback for Mallow, Geno, Booster, the Chancellor, Johnny Jones, etc.

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
Oct 24, 2003
Bayou
Visit site
Hyper Luigi said:
In fact I think Nintendo should go all out (and pay the big bucks I suppose) to make a Smash Bros. VS Everyone Else's Mascots game which would cover the history of video games as we know it. It wouldn't have to be everyone because we know for sure Rare and Naughty Dog would be out but Capcom, Konami, Namco, Sega, Hudson, Square-Enix, Atari, Eidos, EA, Universal, etc. would be more than enough.

In japan konami and hudson made a smash malee fighting game called dream TV mix for GC/PS2. In has a mix of K/H characters like simon,hudson,bomber man,solid snake etc. I don`t know if the game will ever get ported to the US?:sad:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game120103d.shtml

Invader_Spooch

Feb 21, 2002
unspecified
RAINMAN said:
In japan konami and hudson made a smash malee fighting game called dream TV mix for GC/PS2. In has a mix of K/H characters like simon,hudson,bomber man,solid snake etc. I don`t know if the game will ever get ported to the US?:sad:

I don't see Solid Snake on the lineup. Where did you get that he was in it? Is he a secret character or something?

Sketch

Feb 26, 2002
Washington
RAINMAN said:

A few things...

1) I hear it's not that great
2) Given that it has anime characters that have never been seen here nor will probably ever be seen here I don't expect it come over
3) Takara was a big part of this so they'd have to work with Atari to bring this to the US and Konami/Hudson probably don't want to do that
4) The thought of using Bomberman, Megatron, Solid Snake, Simon Belmont, Optimus Prime, and Master Higgens to woop up on Tyson from Beyblade is even better than killing Pichu on Smash Bros. Melee... Yes, that would be good times...

RAINMAN

Kikoutei Densetsu
Oct 24, 2003
Bayou
Visit site
Well, K/N could publish the game outside japan, then N could add some of thier own char to the game, while konami can take out those anime char and replace them whit TMNT char. Now you have sharrder sliceing up pickcau.:D

Sketch

Feb 26, 2002
Washington
*The thought of Shredder killing Pichu excites HL*

Nintendo doesn't have anything to do with that Konami/Hudson fighter. I suppose they could replace those anime characters with some other characters like Yugi, Yoh (from Shaman King) and the TMNT. That would be a lot of work though and Konami likes to cut corners... They could always release the games without those other characters. They would still have enough characters to interest the audience. They'd still have to work with Atari for the Takara properties though. They'll want to keep in the Transformers and probably Tyson from Beyblade as well. It could work though.

Sketch

Feb 26, 2002
Washington
I just thought of some more dream projects I'd like to see. Nintendo and Square-Enix could do incredible things with their RPG franchises (Square-Enix's that is).

For Gamecube:

Finaly Fantasy VII: The Directors Cut (2 - 3 disc set)
- A complete revamp of the game with updated graphics and sound as well as bonus features similar to what a DVD would have (such as commentaries, artwork, etc)

Dragon Warrior Legacy
- A retelling of the tale of Lotto and his decendants in a glorious 3D environment.

The Final Fantasy Collection (3 - 4 disc set)
- A port of the PSX versions of Final Fantasy 1-6 with updated cinema scenes and bonus disc featuring similar stuff to what would be on the FFVII: DC.

Chrono Crisis
- A continuation of the first Chrono Trigger with the character designs of Akira Toriyama and the return of Chrono, Frog, Magus, Marle, and all the rest.

For Gameboy Advance:

Chrono Trigger
- A port of the PSX version including the cinema scenes

Secret of Mana II
- A port of Seiken Desentu 3

Dragon Warrior (seperate releases not a single cart release)
- Ports of the 2D Dragon Quest series which was previously only released in Japan (the games that came after Dragon Warrior VI).

Then of course...

Super Mario RPG
- A port of the classic Nintendo/Square RPG we all know and love. With some added stuff... not sure what. I'd be nice to able to play as Luigi though.

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
Feb 4, 2002
Baltimore, MD
www.livejournal.com
Hyper Luigi said:
Super Mario RPG
- A port of the classic Nintendo/Square RPG we all know and love. With some added stuff... not sure what. I'd be nice to able to play as Luigi though.
They should just do a sequel and bring back Mallow, Geno, Smithy, Booster, and Johnny Jones.

Bound High

Feb 14, 2004
Red Dimension
I know it doesn't happen on a VERY regular basis but when it happens it seems to go very well with gamers. Such as Super Mario RPG for the SNES, Legend of Zelda Oracle ot Ages/Seasons for the Gameboy Color (if I'm not mistaken)
I got the feeling that most people didn't like Super Mario RPG and LoZ:OoA/OoS were mediocre. There was a preference for Link's Awakening over OoA/OoS.
OoA/OoS are second party titles. They were developed by Flagship which is co-owned by Nintendo and Capcom.

Should Nintendo keep co-working with known 3rd parties?
Simply put. They need to. They have recognizable franchises but no good ideas for how to use them. Donkey Konga is an example of what they should do more of. They should partner up with companies that are riding hot videogame trends and cash in with their mascot franchises. Can you say Mario Sims?