Should Disney make a sequel or reboot of Gargoyles or leave it alone?

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Should Disney make a sequel or reboot of Gargoyles or leave it alone?

Light Lucario

Staff member
I'd love for them to do something with Gargoyles. It was such a good series and a bit ahead of its time with its storytelling and world building. I know that Greg Weisman has plans for future events past season three's premiere, but I wouldn't be against a complete reboot, if only to give the series a fresh start. That being said, I think having a sequel or reboot without Greg Weisman would probably not work out too well. I know he said awhile ago that he'd be interested in a Gargoyles continuation, which is awesome, but I don't know if Disney would want to do anything with the property at this point.

Antiyonder

Amalgam Universe Overlord
Staff member
I think doing the Gargoyles 2198 series would be a good alternative to a reboot and if it picked up enough maybe on the side going back in time to do more well Gargoyles.

Freddy

If any other studio owned Gargoyles, it probably would have gotten a streaming exclusive reboot/revival by now, but with Disney it has fallen to an awkward place of them not wanting to sell/give any of their properties away, but also being too "off-brand" for them to make it a priority. But, to actually answer the question, I would be more interested in a continuation, with Weisman's involment.

The Cartoon

Blast From the Past
I'm not really someone who thinks anything is too sacred for a reboot. If it's bad, I'm comfortable forgetting anything ever happened. If it's good, we get a DuckTales reboot. For me, a new Gargoyles feels like it could play really well on a streaming service. If the original suffered from anything, it was needing to stay formulaic enough to maintain network appeal. If they were able to lean all the way in on a consistently running plot and improve the animation, I'd potentially be here for it. But the creative team would be a huge factor on whether it'd actually be successful.

Last edited:

The Cartoon

Blast From the Past
Oh wow interesting, the DuckTales reboot was one of my favorite animated shows in the last 10 years, but I'm admittedly a sucker for nostalgia (when its done right). Even if I'd hated it though, I don't think that its mere existence would have bothered me. Similarly, if a Gargoyles reboot popped up and wasn't any good, I just figure I wouldn't watch it and keep remembering the original fondly. But if I did love it, it'd just be one more cartoon for me to enjoy.

I do wonder if a reboot is more likely to fail if the original source material is amazing. As much as I have nostalgia for DuckTales, I re-watched about 20 episodes recently and didn't walk away feeling like it was as amazing as I remember. The reboot was an opportunity to improve the source material (and at least for me, succeeded). But I would say that the original Gargoyles is fantastic and would be even tougher to re-capture the magic. Personally, I'd still be at least intrigued to see them try.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
For me, it has to be a sequel. Future instalments and an expanded world have long been planned out and I would love to see the master plan actually come into motion. If Hunter’s Moon was intended to be the end (and it would have been a VERY good ending if it were) then I could be talked into a reboot, but in that case I’d be more inclined to leave it be. If it were rebooted in that case I’d prefer a live action movie over and rebooted animated series. But given how much is planned out, it has to be new instalments with those characters

ShadowBeast

I say, leave it alone. A reboot would most likely have a cheaper animation, or even be made into a CG series. Heck, after what happened with Big Hero 6, even if the series starts out successful, Disney could end up demanding the series be made more comedic.

As for a sequel, I would still worry what Disney would force into the show. Considering Elisa is a cop, are guns even allowed on Disney cartoons?

powerjake

Banned
I say, leave it alone. A reboot would most likely have a cheaper animation, or even be made into a CG series. Heck, after what happened with Big Hero 6, even if the series starts out successful, Disney could end up demanding the series be made more comedic.

As for a sequel, I would still worry what Disney would force into the show. Considering Elisa is a cop, are guns even allowed on Disney cartoons?

Expect a Gargoyles reboot to be sanitized to the point of having no guns similar to Beware the Batman.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Expect a Gargoyles reboot to be sanitized to the point of having no guns similar to Beware the Batman.

Too be fair, there is a plot reason why criminals would have laser guns in Gargoyles, but I think due to gun violence you see on the news in the US, you likely will never see a real gun in a kids cartoon in the US.

Cartoons have been replacing guns with laser guns since the 70s and 80s, there have been some exceptions in the 90s, 2000s and 2010s but events over the past decade or so makes that less likely, rather than more.

powerjake

Banned
Too be fair, there is a plot reason why criminals would have laser guns in Gargoyles, but I think due to gun violence you see on the news in the US, you likely will never see a real gun in a kids cartoon in the US.

Cartoons have been replacing guns with laser guns since the 70s and 80s, there have been some exceptions in the 90s, 2000s and 2010s but events over the past decade or so makes that less likely, rather than more.

The guns have been hit or miss in alot of action shows so maybe a Gargoyles reboot may be so clean it cannot be violent.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
The guns have been hit or miss in alot of action shows so maybe a Gargoyles reboot may be so clean it cannot be violent.

Except I think a lot of cartoons today do have more violence than ones in the past, Bad Batch is pretty violent. I think the guns thing is the exception to the rule, most cartoons are set in fantasy or sci-fi settings so they don't have to deal with that issue.

I think you could do a good Gargoyle show today, all things considered, whether it should be done or not is the issue.

powerjake

Banned
Except I think a lot of cartoons today do have more violence than ones in the past, Bad Batch is pretty violent. I think the guns thing is the exception to the rule, most cartoons are set in fantasy or sci-fi settings so they don't have to deal with that issue.

I think you could do a good Gargoyle show today, all things considered, whether it should be done or not is the issue.

Good point, I guess it really depends on the team of people making this reboot.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts