Should Cartoon Network include more references and cameos to older shows in their current cartoons?

I've been rewatching "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy" recently and I remembered how the show would have references and cameos to older shows like Yogi Bear, The Flintstones, and Scooby-Doo. Johnny Bravo did the same too from what I recall (I mostly remember the Scooby-Doo one).

So I was thinking, do you guys think Cartoon Network should include more cameos and references to their older shows in their new shows? It worked for Billy and Mandy and Johnny Bravo (That was part of the reason people loved those shows).

Last edited:

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
They have been doing it for YEARS when it comes to new shows referencing each other. They're all being subtly cross-promoted. As for references to old shows in new ones? They actually did it a few times as well, but there isn't really a point in doing it as the old shows are old and not aimed at their demographic.

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
No. There are occasional references as is (the very end of Steven Universe's "Say Uncle" immediately comes to mind), and I think anything more would just come off as pandering.

jaylop97

Staff member
When it comes to references of older shows I'd say its fine to have them in shows but do so sparingly, it could be distracting if a show merely attempts to address an older show over and over again.

ZanyLogic5

"Should Cartoon Network include more references and cameos to older shows in their current cartoons?"

Uh..no luv. The question should have been...

"Should Cartoon Network include more references and cameos to shows made from other companies?"

Zorak Masaki

"Should Cartoon Network include more references and cameos to older shows in their current cartoons?"

Uh..no luv. The question should have been...

"Should Cartoon Network include more references and cameos to shows made from other companies?"

MAD did that constantly, plenty of sketches making fun of Disney, Nickelodeon, and Hub (but only MLP) shows (to be fair, they satirized CN shows as well), as well as parodies of animated films made by other companies.

ZanyLogic5

MAD did that constantly, plenty of sketches making fun of Disney, Nickelodeon, and Hub (but only MLP) shows (to be fair, they satirized CN shows as well), as well as parodies of animated films made by other companies.

Except that show is owned by Warner Bros. I'm talking about CN shows that are owned by Turner Broadcasting.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.

Featured Posts