Should Batman and Mr. Freeze Sub Zero DCAU Movie have been an episode arc?

Latest News & Videos

Startrekman700

Feb 28, 2004
Deep Space Nine
dhtscifiartist.deviantart.com
I was watching Batman and Mr Freeze: Sub Zero on DVD today while watching my nephew and i found it to be a meh (okay but nothing special). I felt it wanted to be something bigger but just didn't reach it. Batman movie. Sort of in the middle. I came to the conclusion that if it was an episode arc, it might have been better. Does anyone share this.

oh and if you don't know what I a talking about...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_&_Mr._Freeze:_SubZero

launchpad20

Feb 17, 2010
Washington, PA.
I'm not sure if it would work as an episode arc, but for me, as far as movies go, I tend to look at 'Sub Zero' as the 'intelligent alternative' to 'Batman & Robin' since they were both made around the same time. It's not as good as say 'Mask Of The Phantasm', or 'Return Of The Joker', but it's the near polar opposite of Schumacher's so called 'masterpiece'.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Sep 7, 2004
Didn't it come out close to the Arnold Batman flick? If so, I'd say no, just because of the promotional possibilities. It might not have been great, but I thought it was alright.

Michael24

Staff member
Feb 2, 2004
I was supposed to come out at the same time, but it was delayed. I remember seeing a trailer for it on a tape I'd bought at the time (I'd had no knowledge of it prior to that and remember thinking, "Awesome! Another animated Batman movie!"), but I couldn't find it anywhere on the date it was said to be out. I finally found it sometime later.

In even asked Kevin Conroy about it when I met him at a WB Store appearance in 1998, and he said it was intended to be out when Batman & Robin was, but WB postponed it so that it wouldn't get caught up in or overlooked by the critical backlash.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I was supposed to come out at the same time, but it was delayed. I remember seeing a trailer for it on a tape I'd bought at the time (I'd had no knowledge of it prior to that and remember thinking, "Awesome! Another animated Batman movie!"), but I couldn't find it anywhere on the date it was said to be out. I finally found it sometime later.

In even asked Kevin Conroy about it when I met him at a WB Store appearance in 1998, and he said it was intended to be out when Batman & Robin was, but WB postponed it so that it wouldn't get caught up in or overlooked by the critical backlash.
Considering how much Batman and Robin bombed and had terrible reviews, I think it was a better choice for WB to change the date for Sub Zero. While the idea of having a live-action and a cartoon Batman movie out at the same time sounds kind of cool, it wouldn't have been worth in it this case.

Anyway, I'm not really sure if Sub Zero would have been better as an episode arc. I didn't think that the movie was that bad. I agree that it isn't as good as Mask of the Phantasm or Return of the Joker, but it was still an enjoyable movie. They might have been able to cover a bit more of the storyline if they had a long enough episode arc, but I was content with how the movie handled the characters and the storyline.

SSJBatman

Jul 8, 2009
New York
As a kid, and still now, it's one of my favorite movies. Even if it didn't stand out like the other two, for some reason, this movie just made me feel good inside and made me happy to watch it, I never really got tired of it. (Maybe it was because I've been watching it since I was young? I mean, it did come out when I was 3)

I don't really think it should have ever been an episode arc, it wouldn't have worked right, and wouldn't have had the same emotional impact on the characters and the events that happened, because it being chopped up and not continuous, it kinds loses it's essence. That's just me though.

Naninou

Oct 29, 2003
The Netherlands
As a die-hard DCAU Barbara Gordon fan, i had absolutely no problem with this film...

...Ok, yes i do actually. Maybe my problem with it is that Barbara is being portrayed as a damsel in distress, and would have prefered it if the writers thought about the fact that she's BATGIRL even without the costume. Now it's another "Batman and Robin save the girl" story.

I did love the scene where Barbara is kicking the ice when she's trying to escape through the ventilation system. Sneaky fanservice.

SSJBatman

Jul 8, 2009
New York
As a die-hard DCAU Barbara Gordon fan, i had absolutely no problem with this film...

...Ok, yes i do actually. Maybe my problem with it is that Barbara is being portrayed as a damsel in distress, and would have prefered it if the writers thought about the fact that she's BATGIRL even without the costume. Now it's another "Batman and Robin save the girl" story.

I did love the scene where Barbara is kicking the ice when she's trying to escape through the ventilation system. Sneaky fanservice.
Yeah, she was kinda deadweight in the movie when she could've done more :/

But at least the ventilation and ending was enjoyable to me at least lol