Should Adult Swim launch a "Toonami" streaming service?

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Oct 23, 2014
Ratings
320 5
While Toonami doesn't light up the ratings the way it used to back in the Cartoon Network days, Adult Swim's version of this action-anime programming block still maintains a loyal cult following to this day, lasting 6 years in its current incarnation. That said, the TV landscape is changing. The rise of streaming networks like Netflix and Hulu are changing how people consume Television. Services dedicated to anime like Crunchyroll and FunimationNow have gotten more popularity over the years, and have become the default method for anime fans to get their shows.

Adult Swim/Williams Street should know where the market is heading. So do you feel CN/AS/Turner should introduce a "Toonami" streaming service? Something similar to Crunchyroll or FuniNow with a free and paid version that offers a selection of subbed and dubbed anime, including ones featured on Toonami. They could possibly expand to simulcasts if it takes off. Hell, maybe Williams Street could actually license and dub anime of their own for the service. Yes, I know Cartoon Network tried Toonami Jetstream with Viz before, but that was when streaming was in its infancy and it died when CN pulled the plug on Toonami on-air. With Streaming being more mature now, I think it's time to try it again.

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Aug 25, 2002
Ratings
26 2
somewhere
I doubt this will happen. AT&T just pulled the plug on FilmStruck, the classic movie streaming service this week, feeling that it was too niche to continue. I doubt they'll do the same for Toonami, which is also a niche thing.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,755 7
Framingham, MA
Trying to wrap my head around this request. Instead of suggesting Adult Swim's Toonami programs migrate to a service you already subscribe to like Netflix or Hulu, you want ANOTHER streaming service to pay more money for less content? Do I have that right?

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Yeah, a streaming site for Toonami seems really unnecessary when you can watch the all of the shows that air on the block on Adult Swim's website and On Demand. They don't stay up there as long as series on Crunchyroll or Funimation's site do, but I don't think that they need to create another site specifically for Toonami. It would just be more of a hassle than it is worthwhile in the long run.