Should Adult Swim air the original Sailor Moon anime?

Latest News

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Jun 17, 2015
Ratings
342 5
So with reruns of Dragon Ball Super now taking over King of the Hill's slot and The Cleveland Show now leaving the block this fall in favor of Comedy Central airing both of them on the Channel, the question remains: Should Cartoon Network/Adult Swim air the Viz dub of Sailor Moon on Adult Swim when The Cleveland show leaves?

It can do very well in the ratings department, and that like Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon used to air on Toonami on Cartoon Network, so it would be great if two iconic Toei Animated series got to be back to back on Adult Swim, now at weeknights. As KaiserNeko from TeamFourStar stated once about Toonami's airings of those two shows:

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
That would be pretty awesome and I think that would be a better choice than putting the original Sailor Moon on Toonami. As cool as that sounds, it is still a two hundred episode series and the block already has a ton of long running series as it is. It would be kind of new given that it would be the redub airing as opposed to the original English dubs, but it would still look and feel more like a rerun. Plus, it would be kind of out of place within the current Toonami lineup tone wise.

Giving Sailor Moon weeknight premiere slots would make it easier for them to go through the series relatively fast. I think that the redub has only gotten up to SuperS, but I could be mistaken. I don't know how likely this is since I'm sure airing the redub would be expensive, but it would be pretty neat. It would give more promotion for the Viz dub and have a similar kind of nostalgic charm that something like Dragon Ball Super would for DBZ fans.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,244 36 1
Austin, Texas
Like the Dragon Ball series Toonami was made to see Sailor Moon air again, but it's only factored if Hulu would ever let it take the rights, because outside of streaming I doubt any other TV channel would compete against Adult Swim.

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
925 16
Springfield, MO
Is there a ton of swearing in the redub? That's why I don't like the new redub of Dragonball Z.
I still want them call Mr. Satan "Hercule".

But hey, in the first 50 or so DBZ episodes (aka the "Ocean Dub" episodes), I still like that they say stuff like "He just blasted him to another dimension!" (when what they mean is "He just killed him dead!"). Because nostalgia, that's why.

Need more along the lines of Parasyte, Death Note, Hellsing Ultimate
Eh, that's a bit much (gory) for weeknights. Or there's not enough episodes to warrant weeknights. And I don't think Sailor Moon is the right fit either (for the opposite reasons). Still holding out for weeknight "Shippuden".

Last edited:

Red Arrow

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,509 67 1
Belgium
I still like that they say stuff like "He just blasted him to another dimension!" (when what they mean is "He just killed him dead!").
I doubt I understood that as a child :yawn: I probably took it literally. Now I wonder what the subtitles said. (we got the Ocean dub with subtitles) I only saw the first 50 episodes or so, then I gave up.

Wow, now I realize how stupid the Ocean dub is.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Jun 17, 2015
Ratings
342 5
I doubt I understood that as a child :yawn: I probably took it literally. Now I wonder what the subtitles said. (we got the Ocean dub with subtitles) I only saw the first 50 episodes or so, then I gave up.

Wow, now I realize how stupid the Ocean dub is.
It did gave the world Brian Drummond voicing Copy Vegeta in the Funimation dub.