Good morning, folks. A friend of mine and I are members of a fan group dedicated to the Disney Afternoon, and the name is called DAF Radio: Disney Afternoon Forever. Today, I'm going to explain Disney's The Shnookums & Meat Funny Cartoon Show, which was composed of three segments: Shnookums and Meat, Pith Possum, and Tex Tinstar. The show was created by Bill Kopp, creator of Eek! the Cat, Mad Jack the Pirate, and Toonsylvania.

It was heavily criticized for being a carbon copy of Nickelodeon's Ren and Stimpy and being the worst Disney Afternoon show. To me, I love the show for being so wacky. Because of that, we're planning a re-watch of Shnookums and Meat starting today and the next Tuesdays to come.

(MOD NOTE: Clips removed for copyright infringement)

Last edited by a moderator:

Duckfan

Woohoo, it gets started!

We invite everyone who's interested to join us! We're doing one episode per week of this 13-episode-show, so you will have enough time to watch and write a review. The more reviews we get, the more it becomes interesting, since everyone has his unique perspective.

As for me, I don't remember if I have watched any of the episodes ever. I consider S&M to be part of the four "lost" Disney shows, along with "Raw Toonage", "Marsupilami" and "Ned's Nightmares" which didn't get much airtime here in Germany (yes, English is my second language, so please be kind). I remember catching a few episodes of the former as a child, but I never got to watch the "Nightmares" or S&M. I'm also not that much into Nickelodoen shows, with which it is often compared.

So you will read at least two reviews per week, one from Andrew, who's our expert on this show and one from me, a first-timer. Doesn't that sound interesting? So, join us along our journey through forgotten television history!

Woohoo, it gets started!

We invite everyone who's interested to join us! We're doing one episode per week of this 13-episode-show, so you will have enough time to watch and write a review. The more reviews we get, the more it becomes interesting since everyone has his unique perspective.

As for me I don't remember if I have watched any of the episodes ever. For me, S&M is part of the four "lost" Disney shows, along with "Raw Toonage", "Marsupilami" and "Ned's Nightmares" who didn't get much airtime here in Germany (yes, English is my second language, so please be kind). I remember catching a few episodes of the former as a child, but I never got to watch the "Nightmare" or S&M. I'm also not that much into Nickelodoen shows, with which it is often compared.

So you will read at least two reviews per week, one from Andrew, who's our expert on this show and one from me, a first-timer. Doesn't that sound interesting? So, join us along our journey through forgotten television history!

Right on! :D

Dr.Pepper

I loved S&M when I was little, but when I rewatched it around 2008 I pretty much hated it. It just felt like Disney was trying too hard to be something they weren't. I didn't watch Ren & Stimpy when I was little, so I did not see it as a rip off. Pith Possum and Tex Tinstar were alright, but unfortunately they played second fiddle to a cheap knockoff.

I loved S&M when I was little, but when I rewatched it around 2008 I pretty much hated it. It just felt like Disney was trying too hard to be something they weren't. I didn't watch Ren & Stimpy when I was little, so I did not see it as a rip off. Pith Possum and Tex Tinstar were alright, but unfortunately they played second fiddle to a cheap knockoff.

I know, it's one of those reviews that I read so often. Do you ever think that Pith Possum and Tex Tinstar deserve a spin-off on Disney XD? I love those segments as much as the Shnookums and Meat segments.

Kurtis Findlay

S&M: Weight for Me

I know everyone says that this show is a poor man's Ren & Stimpy, and while I can see a little bit of influence, I have to say that Schnookums & Meat is so very different. The main difference is that the humour in R&S is in the acting. Over the top, slapstick acting. The humour in S&M comes from the dialogue and the situations, with the acting coming in secondary. Don't get me wrong, there is still good acting in this show, but the main reasons it is funny is because of the things they say and the situations they get in to, not their body language and facial expressions.

This is an odd first episode as the main characters spend more of their time trying not to be themselves. However, in historical context, I guess people would have already been familiar with these characters from their segments on Marsupilami. I haven't seen those shorts so I can't comment.

The timing in this show is so different than R&S as well. R&S has very restrained dialogue. The pacing is very slow in order to build tension. S&M is much faster paces and is very dialogue heavy, more in line with Tiny Toons or Eek the Cat (which was also created by Bill Kopp). What this show really reminds me of is the Timon & Pumbaa cartoon that came later that same year. A lot of similarities there.

Overall, this episode is quite enjoyable. Pretty standard 90s humour. I like this era of cartoon comedies. Now, onto Pith Possum.

S&M: Weight for Me

I know everyone says that this show is a poor man's Ren & Stimpy, and while I can see a little bit of influence, I have to say that Schnookums & Meat is so very different. The main difference is that the humour in R&S is in the acting. Over the top, slapstick acting. The humour in S&M comes from the dialogue and the situations, with the acting coming in secondary. Don't get me wrong, there is still good acting in this show, but the main reasons it is funny is because of the things they say and the situations they get in to, not their body language and facial expressions.

This is an odd first episode as the main characters spend more of their time trying not to be themselves. However, in historical context, I guess people would have already been familiar with these characters from their segments on Marsupilami. I haven't seen those shorts so I can't comment.

The timing in this show is so different than R&S as well. R&S has very restrained dialogue. The pacing is very slow in order to build tension. S&M is much faster paces and is very dialogue heavy, more in line with Tiny Toons or Eek the Cat (which was also created by Bill Kopp). What this show really reminds me of is the Timon & Pumbaa cartoon that came later that same year. A lot of similarities there.

Overall, this episode is quite enjoyable. Pretty standard 90s humour. I like this era of cartoon comedies. Now, onto Pith Possum.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me, Kurtis. They were well detailed, I must say. Having fun watching the Pith Possum cartoon! :D

Duckfan

My review: Episode #1
Ah, the glorious 90's, when animation was hand-made and everything was possible! Now I'm sure, I never saw any of the episodes before and I'm wondering if I had do so as a child, if I had gotten the chance. I was never a big fan of these kind of "extreme" shows, although I catched some episodes of "CatDog" and "Rocko's modern life" when nothing else was on. The only one I really liked was "The wacky world of Tex Avery", of which the S&M show reminds me heavily. And I think herein lies the problem of these shows: Their possibilities are limited. Here we have another show that is split up into short segments, hinting to the classic cinema cartoons, which were only about 7 minutes long. And every of this segments explores a theme, we have seen exploitet numerous times before, the pets, the superhero and the old west.
Considering this, I must acknowledge, that the writers at least put some new spin on it: Schnookums and Meat are cat and dog, but not chasing each other as one would expect from a show, that shows no heads of the humans, reminiscent of "Tom & Jerry". Tex Tinstar has a funny sidekick (I like the idea with the surrounding flies) and Pith Possum is a complete nitwit. Especially the latter seems a good idea, since there are millions of superhero parodies, but no one is as incompetent as he. I also liked the "Batman"-like inserts and how they based Piths civil identity on Superman. But the best thing was that the Tex-Tinstar-segment ended with a cliffhanger, which I very much hope never gets solved. If the story gets continued, this would ruin everything. I love the idea of having a series that doesn't have closures.

@Kurtis: I also thought it is quite risky to start a show with an episode in which the main characters look different than they usually do. And the comparison to "Timon & Pumbaa" is good - I haven't thought of that, although it seems quite obvious. I've never liked that show that much, because this humor didn't fit to a series spinning off from the "Lion King". But with S&M it's right on place and I'm starting to like it. So let's see what the next episode brings us...

Andrew, now it's your turn!

PS: If you find any grammatical or spelling mistakes, feel free to correct me! I'd like to improve my English.

Duckfan

Tuesday has already passed, so it's about time to post
my review of episode #2
This week's episode features the Shnookums and Meat segment "Ow, Hey!", Pith Possum's "Darkness on the edge of black" and Tex Tinstar's "For a few foodstamps more". It's only the second episode, but I'm already starting to like the other than the eponymous character's segments more. So I'm a bit sad that S&M got 9 minutes, while the other two had to share the rest of this 22-minute-episode. Nevertheless, the S&M-segement was interesting in that it featured an original idea. Up to the ending I didn't know what would happen next in this baseball-themed segment. Normally, when you start watching something, you get an idea about what this show's going to be or how it will turn out (like detective stories are always about finding the clues). But I couldn't figure out where this segment would lead. On the other hand, where it actually led, wasn't too interesting. The plot was minimal: Meat wanted to show what a good baseball catcher he is and gets bashed-up all the time. Nothing too suspenseful here.
While the Possum's segement was more predictable, it featured the funnier scenes, mostly based in its great characters. I like the distinction between his absurd civil identity and his even more absurd superhero-identity.
Unfortunately Tex Tinstar got serialized, but I recognised, it doesn't matter anyhow. The solution to last week's cliffhanger was as much crackbrained as it was short, so you did get the feel of a new episode here. A new episode, that was way too short and had a plot too complicated to follow. The one memorable gag was, when the guy inside the coach offered the bandit the young girl instead of himself.
Overall this was a weak episode with not too much highlights, but the Pith-Possum-segment was worth watching.

my review of episode #2
This week's episode features the Shnookums and Meat segment "Ow, Hey!", Pith Possum's "Darkness on the edge of black" and Tex Tinstar's "For a few foodstamps more". It's only the second episode, but I'm already starting to like the other than the eponymous character's segments more. So I'm a bit sad that S&M got 9 minutes, while the other two had to share the rest of this 22-minute-episode. Nevertheless, the S&M-segement was interesting in that it featured an original idea. Up to the ending I didn't know what would happen next in this baseball-themed segment. Normally, when you start watching something, you get an idea about what this show's going to be or how it will turn out (like detective stories are always about finding the clues). But I couldn't figure out where this segment would lead. On the other hand, where it actually led, wasn't too interesting. The plot was minimal: Meat wanted to show what a good baseball catcher he is and gets bashed-up all the time. Nothing too suspenseful here.
While the Possum's segement was more predictable, it featured the funnier scenes, mostly based in its great characters. I like the distinction between his absurd civil identity and his even more absurd superhero-identity.
Unfortunately Tex Tinstar got serialized, but I recognised, it doesn't matter anyhow. The solution to last week's cliffhanger was as much crackbrained as it was short, so you did get the feel of a new episode here. A new episode, that was way too short and had a plot too complicated to follow. The one memorable gag was, when the guy inside the coach offered the bandit the young girl instead of himself.
Overall this was a weak episode with not too much highlights, but the Pith-Possum-segment was worth watching.

Nice review, buddy. Do you think I should do these reviews using words?

Duckfan

As I couldn't find episode three I'm going ahead with
my review of episode #4.
Shnookums and Meat get "poodle panic", when their cousin Toulouse, a small, poor-spirited poodle, visits them. While the show as a whole is memorable for featuring a cat and a dog that don't chase each other, this particular episode is memorable for reversing the well known plot of a wacky guest annoyng the protagonists into a wacky guest being mistreated by his hosts. Although it starts out in the first way, as S&M fear the announced visitor, in the end it is pretty much he, who will be frightened by another return to his two torturers.
"The Darkness, It Is Dark!" shows one more time the incompetence of Pith Possum, the superdynamic possum of tomorrow. After his sidekick Obediah got kidnapped, he tries to rescue him, but unfortunately fails already at leaving his den, because only Obediah knows the codes to open door. Although this is a quite promising plot idea, the segment itself lacks a bit of some funny gags (keeping in mind that the Possum segments have always been the funniest by now). Nonetheless I very much like his theme song, that pops up everytime he's on the run.
In "Low Pants Drifter" Tex Tinstar tries to rescue at first himself and then the guy he used as a tool for rescueing himself. With this coming from the solution of a previous problem almost immediately into the raising of a new dangerous situation, I'm getting to think that this series is not only a spoof of italowesterns and Lucky Luke, but also of the early american radio and TV westerns, from which I read, they featured a cliffhanger every episode.

As I couldn't find episode three I'm going ahead with
my review of episode #4.
Shnookums and Meat get "poodle panic", when their cousin Toulouse, a small, poor-spirited poodle, visits them. While the show as a whole is memorable for featuring a cat and a dog that don't chase each other, this particular episode is memorable for reversing the well known plot of a wacky guest annoyng the protagonists into a wacky guest being mistreated by his hosts. Although it starts out in the first way, as S&M fear the announced visitor, in the end it is pretty much he, who will be frightened by another return to his two torturers.
"The Darkness, It Is Dark!" shows one more time the incompetence of Pith Possum, the superdynamic possum of tomorrow. After his sidekick Obediah got kidnapped, he tries to rescue him, but unfortunately fails already at leaving his den, because only Obediah knows the codes to open door. Although this is a quite promising plot idea, the segment itself lacks a bit of some funny gags (keeping in mind that the Possum segments have always been the funniest by now). Nonetheless I very much like his theme song, that pops up everytime he's on the run.
In "Low Pants Drifter" Tex Tinstar tries to rescue at first himself and then the guy he used as a tool for rescueing himself. With this coming from the solution of a previous problem almost immediately into the raising of a new dangerous situation, I'm getting to think that this series is not only a spoof of italowesterns and Lucky Luke, but also of the early american radio and TV westerns, from which I read, they featured a cliffhanger every episode.

You know, I think there's a cartoon that has the same plot as Poodle Panic, and it's Bellboy Donald, a Donald Duck cartoon from 1942.

My review: Episode #1
Ah, the glorious 90's, when animation was hand-made and everything was possible! Now I'm sure, I never saw any of the episodes before and I'm wondering if I had do so as a child, if I had gotten the chance. I was never a big fan of these kind of "extreme" shows, although I catched some episodes of "CatDog" and "Rocko's modern life" when nothing else was on. The only one I really liked was "The wacky world of Tex Avery", of which the S&M show reminds me heavily. And I think herein lies the problem of these shows: Their possibilities are limited. Here we have another show that is split up into short segments, hinting to the classic cinema cartoons, which were only about 7 minutes long. And every of this segments explores a theme, we have seen exploitet numerous times before, the pets, the superhero and the old west.
Considering this, I must acknowledge, that the writers at least put some new spin on it: Schnookums and Meat are cat and dog, but not chasing each other as one would expect from a show, that shows no heads of the humans, reminiscent of "Tom & Jerry". Tex Tinstar has a funny sidekick (I like the idea with the surrounding flies) and Pith Possum is a complete nitwit. Especially the latter seems a good idea, since there are millions of superhero parodies, but no one is as incompetent as he. I also liked the "Batman"-like inserts and how they based Piths civil identity on Superman. But the best thing was that the Tex-Tinstar-segment ended with a cliffhanger, which I very much hope never gets solved. If the story gets continued, this would ruin everything. I love the idea of having a series that doesn't have closures.

@Kurtis: I also thought it is quite risky to start a show with an episode in which the main characters look different than they usually do. And the comparison to "Timon & Pumbaa" is good - I haven't thought of that, although it seems quite obvious. I've never liked that show that much, because this humor didn't fit to a series spinning off from the "Lion King". But with S&M it's right on place and I'm starting to like it. So let's see what the next episode brings us...

Andrew, now it's your turn!

PS: If you find any grammatical or spelling mistakes, feel free to correct me! I'd like to improve my English.

All righty, here's my review for the first Shnookums and Meat episode. But before I begin, I'd like to apologize for breaking Toonzone's copyright policy and not holding onto my order as Duckfan told me. ^^ I thought this was a fun opportunity for the rest of you guys, but I realized that I needed to do my part last night! So, here we go!

Shnookums and Meat: Weight for Me

This is the first short I had seen for the first time over 6 years ago. I thought it wasn't entertaining at first, though I still kept watching it. Nowadays, I find this short as fun to watch as the others are. The exercise and Loungerizer sequences kept my interest in the short, especially Drew Neumann's wacky music and godly chorus snippets being played throughout. According to Kurtis, Shnookums and Meat may be similar to Ren & Stimpy, but it's all in the timing, gags, and acting from the characters, much like the Warner Bros. shorts from the 40's and 50's, and I admit that he has a point. However, there two things that puzzled me:

1. How could a mop this strong be able to block a door and trap the title characters inside the sauna?

2. How could something so forgotten easily inspire a trend in fat cartoon characters?

Pith Possum: Phantom Mask of the Dark Black Darkness of Black

This was a very entertaining Pith Possum short to watch, and one of the things it nailed was Pith Possum's origins; he was a regular lab animal who gained superpowers thanks to a lab experiment that went haywire. Now, he's ready to fight crime in Possum City with the help of his partner, Obediah the Wonder Raccoon! *eh, couldn't resist*

Anyway, Pith's secret identity is Peter Possum, who works as a copyboy at the Weekly World Horsefeather and has a crush on the lovely Doris Deer. (It's no doubt that I love her so much, too.) Now, the plot of the short is that the Easter Bunny goes on a crime wave in downtown Possum City. So, Peter springs into high gear and changes into Pith Possum, Super-Dynamic Possum of Tomorrow! He informs Obediah about the crime wave and...... falls down 5 stories and gets flattened a moment later.

Now, I've read several articles and comments that Pith Possum is much like Batman and Darkwing Duck combined, and they're much the same; Pith and DW having the cool theme songs, sidekicks, and of course, their clueless personalities. After checking in with Commissioner Stress about the crazed rabbit going to rob the Possum City Museum, Pith and Obediah head down there, face off with the rabbit, and rescue Doris Deer. I got a good laugh when Pith got clobbered by the Easter Bunny. "I need a fried peanut butter sandwich." Easily, my favorite line in the episode, not to mention Doris clenching her teeth earlier in the short.

The ending was rather cool, seeing Pith and Obediah wearing their bathrobes and fezzes, and the Easter Bunny was just a criminal trying the frame the real Easter Bunny.

This is a short I can easily recommend everyone to watch! It's got plenty of action and jokes in the mix, and a side character with much more potential than the title characters! Too bad our favorite superhero got left out.

Tex Tinstar: A Fistful of Foodstamps

Ah, the Wild West, a land full of vast prairies and heroic cowboys, but that has nothing to do with them, 'cause that would be really boring! *I liked saying that line.* So now, we focus our attention on the Wrong Riders, led by the slimy, tall Wrongo, and his lackeys, Clem and Ian. Meanwhile, in the town of Bonehead, we meet the local sheriff, Tex Tinstar, and his faithful but stinky deputy, Chafe, who ask the townsfolk to protect their fair town, but... they all chicken out and leave town, unlike many westerns where the townsfolk hide (I'm guessing). The showdown between Tex and Wrongo is played out well... until Wrongo makes his move and captures him, leading to his most famous line in history!

Wrongo: "Let me describe what I have in store for you: The rope that holds you up, Tinstar, will soon be burnt through by that candle. When you fall, you'll land headfirst in that trampoline, which will send you flying in that pen full of rabid badgers. As you roll down the ramp inside that pen, the torch will be knocked over, igniting the trail of gunpowder, burning toward that cannon. Your barrel will roll toward that cannon, and your head will become stuck. The gunpowder will burn the cannon's fuse, and the cannon will fire. The blast will ignite the waterproof fuses on the dynamite surrounding your head. The cannon will shoot you through the roof of the barn and down in the giant tank full of man-eating sharks. The sharks will eat you. Then, the dynamite will explode! The whole mess will be blown skyward, and your remains will fall into THIS envelope, which I will place on a boat bound for Tunisia."

Pretty standard, but really gruesome as a whole. Needless to say, this short was as humorous as "Phantom Mask of the Dark Black Darkness of Black", with the same kind of gags being used and Tex being much like Pith, but with the voice of Johnny Bravo. Just kidding, it's really Jeff Bennett using his voice. And, I have to like Wrongo, because according to a dear friend of mine, he has this tall salami-like body and this sexy baritone voice by Brad Garrett.

In conclusion, I had a good time reviewing the first episode, and so quickly you might say. I've been watching these episodes for more than 4 years, and I know well that Shnookums and Meat wasn't the best Disney Afternoon show than the other shows were. But, who cares if the characters aren't perfect? Who says if it ripped off Ren and Stimpy? This is a Disney Afternoon treasure that I love watching most, but the other Disney Afternoon shows can be fun to watch, too.

Right now, I'm doing my best to catch up to Episode #4, because of the coming review this Tuesday. So, stay tooned for next time for the next Shnookums and Meat review! :D

Last edited:
my review of episode #2
/

Good evening, folks. Now that Duckfan's covered the second episode, here's my thoughts on the same episode as well!

Shnookums and Meat: "Ow, Hey!"

Every summer, I love playing softball with my friends from RARA, a leisure group for kids and young adults with special needs as I have. Anyway, much like many baseball-themed episodes in cartoons, Shnookums and Meat are out and about for their own baseball game in their backyard. The only catch is that Meat gets hit by the ball, and that keeps happening during the first half of the cartoon. It's a little too much of a running gag, which means it lacks the humor of the last short. The scene where Shnookums takes Meat to the vet is nothing special, but it's not bad either.

Fortunately, we have Drew Neumann's goony-sounding music heard from the ball bouncing around town to the scene with Meat trying to rescue Shnookums from running off a cliff.

Pith Possum: "Darkness on the Edge of Black"

This scenario is pretty basic like "Phantom Mask of the Dark Black Darkness of Black", but from the beginning, we get to listen to Dr. Paul Bunion's sinister theme song, and Nathan Wang has the music score up to bat. We get to see some interaction between Peter and Doris at the Possum City Museum, with his nerdy alter-ego delivering her a cup of coffee. It's rather nice of Peter for what he does for Ms. Deer. Unfortunately for him... she doesn't drink coffee.

So after that, one of Dr. Bunion's tree-like robots barges into the museum and sucks up the museum's sap figure collection (It's crazy that sap can be used for art) and kidnaps the lovely Ms. Deer! But have no fear, kids! It's Pith Possum to the rescue! :D The chase is on with Pith and Obediah following the robot to Dr. Bunion's log castle, where the mad doctor, er... lumberjack has been planning his string of robberies! After a brief scuffle with his robots, Obediah disintegrates them into thin air with his robot ray gun, until it breaks down.

Other than that, Dr. Paul Bunion is really similar to Mechanichles from Aladdin, because they're both mad inventors and come up with plans to defeat their enemies: Al vs Mozenrath and Pith vs Dr. Bunion. His French-Canadian accent's cool to listen to.

But regardless, back to the review! Just as all hope is lost, Obediah takes advantage of Dr. Bunion's threat by unplugging his the rest of his robot army, letting Pith sock the bad guy and rescue Doris from being turned into sawdust... and fall into the shredder instead. I really love Doris' "oopsie" face near the end. The scenes with Commissioner Stress and Lieutenant Tension were so-so. Too bad they couldn't get a hold of Pith, since they were already on their way to stop the villain.

(Update: I've heard that this episode is similar to one of the Fleischer Superman cartoons: "The Mechanical Robots".)

Tex Tinstar: "For a Few Foodstamps More"

Continuing from the last short, Tex was tied up in Wrongo's most dangerous death trap inside the barn. But fortunately, Chafe gives up his plane trip to Hawaii and rushes back to the village, where the dynamite sets off, causing the barn to explode. Fortunately, Tex comes out unharmed! (I wonder how he survived, though.) However, the town of Bonehead has been robbed of everything, even the building walls! To make things worse, the townsfolk banish him for not protecting the town by stripping off his uniform. Now, that's bizarre unlike most westerns.

When Chafe comes around announcing a job offering at a "major theme park", Tex decides to stop wallowing and get down to business, even without a uniform. He and Chafe take off on Tex's horse, Here Boy, and a sidecar? I don't understand Chafe found his goat in the middle of the short. :p

Meanwhile, the Wrong Riders are having trouble to bust open the safe, but Wrongo spies the chairman of a bank safe company, Percy Lacedaisy, because he's the only one who knows the combination to the safe. So, Wrongo orders Clem to stop the stagecoach by using his smelly breath! Gee... that guy doesn't know his hygiene. :p With the horses knocked out, Wrongo opens the door and Percy gives them a female passenger on board, who punches Percy out of the coach and into the Wrong Riders' hands.

Tex and Chafe are on their way, but Here Boy blows a horseshoe, and all four of them fall down the cliffside and get hit by the oncoming stagecoach. In the end, Tex and Chafe end up in traffic court, while the Wrong Riders ride off with Mr. Lacedaisy and the stolen safe.

Just as good like the last one, with a few good gags, such as a hidden Disneyland reference (the scene showing Chafe with the news ad) and Clem knocking the horses out with his stinky breath. The short may be weak, but it does have a little build-up to the story. Stay tooned for tomorrow's review of Episode #5!

Last edited:

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and stay safe.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Stay safe!
And now a message from Sesame Street.