"Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Sorry, but I'm calling this out. They want the money the China market will bring in. Plain and simple. The only risk is in not being offensive.
What's to call out? Making movies for specific markets is not only totally okay, but a smart way to make a lot of money. I don't see why you'd have any objection to that.

the greenman

What's to call out? Making movies for specific markets is not only totally okay, but a smart way to make a lot of money. I don't see why you'd have any objection to that.
No, I just don't get him acting like this is diversity and a huge risk on the studio. I mean that's kinda like. . . uh sure man, c'mon.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
No, I just don't get him acting like this is diversity and a huge risk on the studio. I mean that's kinda like. . . uh sure man, c'mon.

So it's less "Yay, diversity!" and more "Yay, money!" ?

...I don't care, I just want it to appeal to Western audiences in general and not be just a niche thing. Which Marvel is pretty good at pulling off.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It is true they only mentioned Australia in AOS season 3, off the top of my head. But they filmed there before. Only a matter of time.

And Marvel Studios worked with China before like Iron Man 3, so I wouldn't call it a sad grab at placating either. In-universe, they've only skirted in mainland Asia like the end of IM3 when Tony has his surgery in Shanghai. The movies have mostly stuck with Hong Kong. Strange did delve into Nepal. Came up on the Netflix series. Came up on AOS, went to Hong Kong once or twice.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Black Panther and Age of Ultron both had action scenes in Korea. I've gone over the countries depicted in the MCU and Latin America seems to be the most screwed over when it comes to representation with its only appearance in Incredible Hulk over ten years ago and the only major characters being Slingshot, Robbie Reyes, Molly Hernandez, and Oscar Orocho.

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
It is true they only mentioned Australia in AOS season 3, off the top of my head. But they filmed there before. Only a matter of time.

And Marvel Studios worked with China before like Iron Man 3, so I wouldn't call it a sad grab at placating either. In-universe, they've only skirted in mainland Asia like the end of IM3 when Tony has his surgery in Shanghai. The movies have mostly stuck with Hong Kong. Strange did delve into Nepal. Came up on the Netflix series. Came up on AOS, went to Hong Kong once or twice.
Black Panther and Age of Ultron both had action scenes in Korea. I've gone over the countries depicted in the MCU and Latin America seems to be the most screwed over when it comes to representation with its only appearance in Incredible Hulk over ten years ago and the only major characters being Slingshot, Robbie Reyes, Molly Hernandez, and Oscar Orocho.
Heck, Endgame is going to have scenes set in Tokyo.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
My mistake. I thought the convo was only about China and related countries. But all of Asia, yeah, it's come up a lot. Good point about Latin America, as well.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
The sad thing is that when Feige means something like Shang Chi is technically kind of a risk, he isn't wrong. Yes diversity is important and obviously sells well now and having movies where the main character isn't just a straight white male does do good business... but you do have to realize that is still considered more of a "new" thing. Heck the first movie series that you could say had a much more diverse cast that was super highly profitable where the leads weren't just while males wasn't even the MCU (since yeah until Black Panther all the films starring role was a white guy even if the supporting cast was more diverse) it was the Fast and Furious series. And that and stuff like Black Panther and Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel have certainly opened the door but you do have to realize that Hollywood is still very tradionalist and takes a long time to properly adapt to a new status quo so the idea of having to "sell" a movie on someone who isn't of their typical narrow minded traditionalist view point (as even the few movie stars who have broke out that again are from a "minority" like say Will Smith are kind of more the exception then any sort of general rule for the longest time) is more tricky still then it should be. Especially since in terms of regular pure super hero movies we haven't seen one yet from Hollywood starring an Asian actor.

And yeah granted the fact the box office with stuff like Crazy Rich Asians reflects on how well that would do business wise now as well as wanting to show diversity are big reasons that they are doing these movies but it does go deeper then that. With Phase 3 coming to an end it's clear Marvel is looking to their future and looking to put out all sorts of new and different stories out there and that also means looking to more unique or different kind of characters we haven't traditionally seen on screen before. Which means going past the Tony Starks and Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner and Thors to look for different kind of heroes. Such as Shang Chi. Granted it will be annoying if Marvel uses a movie every year to just push a social agenda but if done well and making sense within the universe and being a solid movie on it's own I'm fine with that especially as the more kind of people get to star in these big super hero movies the more different kind of stories and experiences there will be to tell and who would want to deny that besides well just close minded bigots you really shouldn't be associating with anyway.

Last edited:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
So since there's not a lot of source material for Shang Chi I'm kind of trying to come up with stuff on my own what I'd like to see in this movie.

I think it's likely his father probably is The Mandarin how about having him use his magic to fight Fin Fang Foom and in turn Shang Chi finds a way to grow big himself so he can fight the dragon.
tumblr_inline_nzcf7x8STp1qg6cba_1280.jpg

Also origin stories can be annoying because the hero usually doesn't play the role until 2/3 into the movie, so maybe we can have a surrogate character so we can be filled in quicker. I've already said that the MCU needs more hispanic heroes, so what if it's Ava Ayala the white tiger and we actually get a hint at the Amulets of Power.

reflection01

The sad thing is that when Feige means something like Shang Chi is technically kind of a risk, he isn't wrong. Yes diversity is important and obviously sells well now and having movies where the main character isn't just a straight white male does do good business... but you do have to realize that is still considered more of a "new" thing. Heck the first movie series that you could say had a much more diverse cast that was super highly profitable where the leads weren't just while males wasn't even the MCU (since yeah until Black Panther all the films starring role was a white guy even if the supporting cast was more diverse) it was the Fast and Furious series. And that and stuff like Black Panther and Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel have certainly opened the door but you do have to realize that Hollywood is still very tradionalist and takes a long time to properly adapt to a new status quo so the idea of having to "sell" a movie on someone who isn't of their typical narrow minded traditionalist view point (as even the few movie stars who have broke out that again are from a "minority" like say Will Smith are kind of more the exception then any sort of general rule for the longest time) is more tricky still then it should be. Especially since in terms of regular pure super hero movies we haven't seen one yet from Hollywood starring an Asian actor.

And yeah granted the fact the box office with stuff like Crazy Rich Asians reflects on how well that would do business wise now as well as wanting to show diversity are big reasons that they are doing these movies but it does go deeper then that. With Phase 3 coming to an end it's clear Marvel is looking to their future and looking to put out all sorts of new and different stories out there and that also means looking to more unique or different kind of characters we haven't traditionally seen on screen before. Which means going past the Tony Starks and Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner and Thors to look for different kind of heroes. Such as Shang Chi. Granted it will be annoying if Marvel uses a movie every year to just push a social agenda but if done well and making sense within the universe and being a solid movie on it's own I'm fine with that especially as the more kind of people get to star in these big super hero movies the more different kind of stories and experiences there will be to tell and who would want to deny that besides well just close minded bigots you really shouldn't be associating with anyway.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon did very well at US box offices 20 years ago. It took way too long for Hollywood to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
I hope they try to keep some of the tone of the original comics, dated as the material is. There was this really gritty pulp feel to the stories that made them stand out from typical Marvel fare. And if this movie is going to be successful, it has to be more than the standard MCU formula with some vague and unfocused pandering to the Chinese market.

The thing is, Shang-Chi is a really interesting character. Essentially a 'normal' man capable of superhuman feats through his rigorous training and mastery of chi manipulation, and depicted as massively competent, humble,and conflicted about using his gifts to hurt others even in the pursuit of justice, I think he has the inherent appeal to connect with global audiences. Trying to force diversity into the movie by branding him the 'Asian' Marvel hero would only work against that. Granted, I don't think the comic writers have gotten his character right in years either, so this could be a very hard hurdle to overcome.

And the fight scenes in this movie could be incredible if they show the appropriate imagination beyond standard kung-fu and Hollywood action tropes. Shang-Chi's powers make him more like a shonen anime hero in effect compared to other superheroes, and Marvel should play that up to the hilt. That should be his 'gimmick' as such. If fact, there is a certain anime series in particular that Disney execs should be looking very closely at, even if it is a little too violent for them to copy exactly:

There's also some good discussion on this topic over at this thread on CBR:

Shang Chi The Master Of Kung Fu Appreciation - Page 34

Last edited:

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
I hope they try to keep some of the tone of the original comics, dated as the material is. There was this really gritty pulp feel to the stories that made them stand out from typical Marvel fare. And if this movie is going to be successful, it has to be more than the standard MCU formula with some vague and unfocused pandering to the Chinese market.
Well that and his father will likely be a different character in the MCU.

the greenman

I'm sure Marvel is starting to dip into very very obscure characters like they did with GotG. With Captain Marvel & this, I'm curious how deep cut they can go.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Sweet. I'd love to see Donnie Yen in a MCU movie. Love those Ip Man movies he's been doing. I guess the next article will be speculating he's the Mandarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts