Seuss movie rights transfer from Universal to WB.

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Mar 11, 2005
Ratings
1,615 9
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
http://deadline.com/2018/01/dr-seuss-movies-warner-animation-group-cat-in-the-hat-1202268327

Warner Animation Group has struck a deal with the Geisel estate to make animated features based on the books of Dr. Seuss. This deal will not have any effect on Illumination's upcoming Grinch movie later this year, although this will be parent company Universal/Comcast's final movie based on the material, since they're losing the rights.

Anyway, WAG's first new project will be The Cat in the Hat. What better way to correct past mistakes?

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,741 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I wonder what caused the move. Not that I’m complaining. I think an animated Cat in the Hat Movie is needed to wash away the bad memories of the live action movie.
I’m just curious on what other Suess stories will they adapt, and will it include books he wrote but didn’t illustrate, like Wacky Wednesday.

I wonder if they’ll adapt the Sneethces. It’s a great story for today’s audiences about teaching acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 28, 2016
Ratings
554 8
It was surprising me to learn at first (considering I still thought Uni still held the rights [and for sooo long], but I can get with this switch in atudios all the way.

I like Warner Animation Group considering most of the films they've made so far, so this is a real good fit for the Seuss movies imo.

I know whomever the Seuss/Geisel estate will pick to pen the screenplay for them will do a great job... Or at least a much better job than whomever wrote that borderline trash Cat in the Hat film.
Ironically the first movie... is an animated Cat... film

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,746 7
Framingham, MA
borderline trash Cat in the Hat film.
There was no borderline about it. I saw part of it on Cartoon Network and I was absolutely appalled. Mike Myers played the Cat like a pervy sex offender, always making dirty jokes to the kids only he got, and winking at the camera as if he was cute instead of disgusting. It is to society's eternal credit that that movie basically ruined his entire career. He deserved it for that nauseating performance.

Jul 14, 2010
Ratings
UK
Long form Seuss just doesn't work. The two Illumination movies thus far improved on the live action movies in many ways, but didn't stretch much further than mediocre competency, and felt a long way from the style and tone (and even messages) of Seuss' work. The Grinch rewhatever looks tired. I suppose there's always a chance someone might manage a thoughtful (if far from perfect) movie out of one of his works a la Where the Wild Things Are, but I feel like anything beyond half-hour television just stretches his work into something it was never meant to be.

TeridaxXD001

Apr 5, 2018
Ratings
The Cat in the Hat movie is actually a guilty pleasure of mine. Sure, it's not really suitable for the target audience and it's nothing like the Cat you've been reading about since, well, you could read, but when I watch it, I'm really not mentally connecting it to the book anyway.

TeridaxXD001

Apr 5, 2018
Ratings
It is to society's eternal credit that that movie basically ruined his entire career. He deserved it for that nauseating performance.
To my understanding, this movie has nothing to do with the fall of Mike Myers, it's that he became a difficult-to-work
-with Prima Donna.

It was? Never heard anything about that.
https://lostmediawiki.com/Scooby-Doo_(unreleased_R-rated_cut_of_live-action_film;_2002)
Apparently, they were aiming for PG-13, got R instead, thought "Wait, that's not what we wanted!" and cut a bunch of stuff out to play it safe.

Jul 14, 2010
Ratings
UK
https://lostmediawiki.com/Scooby-Doo_(unreleased_R-rated_cut_of_live-action_film;_2002)
Apparently, they were aiming for PG-13, got R instead, thought "Wait, that's not what we wanted!" and cut a bunch of stuff out to play it safe.
I think they're conflating a couple of things there; it was originally written for a PG-13 and as more of a parody in the vein of the Brady Bunch films (the released movie is still pretty meta honestly), but I believe they toned it down fairly early on in production, and by the time they submitted it to the MPAA it was pretty much as was released, but they initially gave it an R on a technicality (i.e. one, possibly misunderstood, line), and after a slight tweak it was resubmitted to the MPAA and received a PG.

TeridaxXD001

Apr 5, 2018
Ratings
I think they're conflating a couple of things there; it was originally written for a PG-13 and as more of a parody in the vein of the Brady Bunch films (the released movie is still pretty meta honestly), but I believe they toned it down fairly early on in production, and by the time they submitted it to the MPAA it was pretty much as was released, but they initially gave it an R on a technicality (i.e. one, possibly misunderstood, line), and after a slight tweak it was resubmitted to the MPAA and received a PG.
Yes, those articles are not the most well-written around.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

I was just about to say "Where's Gridman?" on that Crunchyroll streaming thread.
DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...