Seth MacFarlane to Reboot The Flintstones(Edit: Now on Life Support)

Oh wow, that's big news! I wonder if he's going to toss out any promises about not doing his usual shtick.

Paradox295

Chicks dig it, dude!
MLDDP.gif

Kiddington

tut tut

A part of me wants to be upset, while another part of me is so morbidly curious to see how he handles a classic franchise like this, I'd almost say go for it. I'm honestly torn here.

He better put more effort into this than he does Cleveland; that's all I can say.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Wait, what?!?

I'm no Finstones fan, but this show is iconic. If he messes up, this could wreck his career.

CyclonatorZ

Oh wow, that's big news! I wonder if he's going to toss out any promises about not doing his usual shtick.

That's what worries me - it's been years since he's made a show that isn't just a sad soup of dead baby comedy and pop culture references. The chances of him doing a 180 and making a sucessor to the Flinstones that remains family friendly and true to the source are next to nothing IMO. :ack:

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Not only did the suits have a ton of deal points to work through, but I hear the "Yabba Dabba Doo" prehistoric family sitcom's rightholders were somewhat concerned how the classic series would be interpreted given MacFarlane's brand of raunchy comedies like The Family Guy.
I'll be blunt: No kidding. Replace "somewhat" with "excessively" and you would have the appropriate attitude to the situation.

I have no faith in MacFarlane's capacity to handle this. His cartoons to date only imply that he can't help himself, and they all vary considerably in terms of quality. Sometimes his material is A-grade, often it's just vapid and coarse. This does not bode well. And it's very sad how one man has come to all but monopolize animated sitcoms in these days. I cannot wait until his time is over, if only to get some damn diversity on TV again beyond established mainstays like The Simpsons and South Park.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Wha.... they're seriously letting Seth MacFailene ruin something as classic as this? :eek:
Give him a chance. While I understand that he can be unpopular and that not everything he makes is golden, the bashing needs to stop.

I don't think anyone stands a chance with this cartoon simply because too many people love it, but out of everyone Seth MacFarlane has a pretty good chance of making it interesting.

chdr

I'll be blunt: No kidding. Replace "somewhat" with "excessively" and you would have the appropriate attitude to the situation.

I have no faith in MacFarlane's capacity to handle this. His cartoons to date only imply that he can't help himself, and they all vary considerably in terms of quality. Sometimes it's A-grade, often it's just vapid and coarse. This does not bode well. And it's very sad how one man has come to all but monopolize animated sitcoms in these days.
To be fair, he usually doesn't write for his own shows. His pre-Family Guy stuff (Larry and Steve, Johnny Bravo) is pretty tame in comparison. Personally, I think Seth himself would treat The Flintstones respectfully; it's the writing crew he brings over I'm worrying about.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
To be fair, he usually doesn't write for his own shows. His pre-Family Guy stuff (Larry and Steve, Johnny Bravo) is pretty tame in comparison. Personally, I think Seth himself would treat The Flintstones respectfully; it's the writing crew he brings over I'm worrying about.

Yeah, I mean, the problem is he's essentially overseen one brand of comedy across three different sitcoms. Is he capable of dramatically shifting his M.O. at this point? I don't know. It'd be great if this were solid, but there is a lot to prove.

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
Calling it: Dino will talk and hang out with Fred and Barney, teen Pebbles will be the typical rebel, teen Bamm-Bamm will be a moron, Gazoo will be on every episode, and there will be another set of neighbors which will be talking animals.

Seth MacFarlane is directing a live-action film with Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis. I get the impression that MacFarlane wants to start a new phase of his career. So, The Flintstones may turn out to be something different than his usual animated shows.

Master Toon

Calling it: Dino will talk and hang out with Fred and Barney, teen Pebbles will be the typical rebel, teen Bamm-Bamm will be a moron, Gazoo will be on every episode, and there will be another set of neighbors which will be talking animals.

You forgot to mention that Gazoo will be sassy and ambiguous. Wilma and Betty (unlike their original selves) will be extremely tolerant of Fred and Barney's shenanigans.

Mandouga

The same guy who does Family Guy? I "yabba-dabba-don't" think so. The original show may have aired in primetime originally, but it was still 100% family-oriented (yes some jokes/gags were written for older viewers, but still).

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
I'm having the same horriffic visions as the rest of you right now. Especially since they said it'll air on FOX, presumably alongside his other stuff. With the same audience watching, there's really no reason for him to NOT do this the same way.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Hmm....Better Seth MacFarlane than John Kricfalusi, I guess.

A MacFarlane directed version of The Flintstones airing on FOX will just be...bizarre.

SF4Ever

If Seth MacFarlane is rebooting The Flintstones, I wonder if he's even considering Jeff Bergman(Fred), Tress MacNeille(Wilma), Frank Welker(Barney) and B.J. Ward(Betty) for his forthcoming incarnation? I don't know what the rest of you think, but in my opinion, I don't think The Flintstones would work, nowadays, without these four actors present.

SF4Ever

I just saw this article at TVBytheNumbers.com. Seth McFarlane will be doing new Flintstones TV show and movies for FOX. Here's the scoop at:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...s-to-be-resurrected-by-seth-macfarlane/92838/

I've just heard about it, but since Jeff Bergman(Fred), Tress MacNeille(Wilma), Frank Welker(Barney) and B.J. Ward(Betty) are the primary voices of the characters, I wonder of Seth MacFarlane is even considering these four actors for those roles? I don't think The Flintstones would work, nowadays, without these four actors present.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts