segments of Space Stars we would've loved to see.

Latest News & Videos

JosephH1998

Mar 14, 2019
Northridge, CA
as with their fare at the time (1981-82) & the revivals of Space Ghost & The Herculoids there are segments of "Space Stars" that I would've loved to see.
new episodes of "The Fantastic Four" - (1967 version), since they were committed in their fight against intergalactic evil, If they had permission from Marvel Comics then yeah.
as well as "The Galaxy Trio" from Birdman - since it was more in line with the space theme.
and "The Impossibles in Outer Space" - based on "Frankenstein Jr. & The Impossibles" cartoon shorts from 1966
Wouldn't it have been possible to include these segments.

hobbyfan

Jun 9, 2002
Troy NY
Doubtful that reviving The Impossibles would've worked in this context. Plus, NBC & H-B had revisited the concept two years earlier, by grafting the Impossibles' powers, with some extras, on to a certain basketball team, creating the ill-advised Super Globetrotters.

Why they chose not to use the Galaxy Trio, I don't know. I think maybe if they explored the Teen Force, further, we'd probably find some link between the two teams.

As for the FF, the 1978 revival was licensed to DePatie-Freleng, which Marvel purchased a couple of years later, and although the Thing returned to H-B the following year, that is a black hole on his TV resume.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Aug 3, 2002
Chiyo-chan's America
Why they chose not to use the Galaxy Trio, I don't know. I think maybe if they explored the Teen Force, further, we'd probably find some link between the two teams.
I think the reason Galaxy Trio wasn't included was because of the following:
  1. Those cartoons were meant to be second banana to the main Birdman cartoon (similar to how Dino Boy was the middle segment on Space Ghost).
  2. Reruns of Space Ghost and The Herculoids in the late 1970's helped perked interest in them appearing in new episodes in the 1980's.

Last edited:

JosephH1998

Mar 14, 2019
Northridge, CA
Although they were committed to their fight against interplanetary evil, the reason why they didn't add The Fantastic Four (using the Alex Toth character designs) (Sue Storm, Johnny Storm, Ben Grimm and Reed Richards) in "Space Stars" was mainly because they were the property of Marvel Comics (which was hot property back in the early '80s), If they had otherwise gotten permission from them then that would've been an entirely different story.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2011
Milwaukie, Oregon
When originally planned to be on NBC's 1980-81 Saturday morning schedule, Space Stars would have been set up this way:
* Space Ghost (segment 1 of 2)
* The Herculoids (segment 1 of 2)
* Teen Force
* Astro and the Space Mutts
* Space Ghost (segment 2 of 2)
* The Herculoids (segment 2 of 2)
* The Jetsons (8-minute fragments, divided into act 1, 2 and 3)
* Space Star Finale

Additionally, the "Space Science" bumpers - which helped viewers to identify the villain of the week on the Space Star Finale - were to be interspersed between each of these segments; although they were never shown on the final 1-hour version that aired on NBC in the 1981-82 season, they are there on the DVD set!

~Ben

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Something I had from McDonald's Chocolate Chip Mocca Frappe is.... plastic.
Captain Underpants season 3 July 19
Happy 41st birthday, Garfield!
So there's a reboot of this old French series called Oum the White Dolphin. Found it while channel surfing and initially thought it was CGI, but no!
Why are the forums all squished down to the left?