segments of Space Stars we would've loved to see.

JosephH1998

as with their fare at the time (1981-82) & the revivals of Space Ghost & The Herculoids there are segments of "Space Stars" that I would've loved to see.
new episodes of "The Fantastic Four" - (1967 version), since they were committed in their fight against intergalactic evil, If they had permission from Marvel Comics then yeah.
as well as "The Galaxy Trio" from Birdman - since it was more in line with the space theme.
and "The Impossibles in Outer Space" - based on "Frankenstein Jr. & The Impossibles" cartoon shorts from 1966
Wouldn't it have been possible to include these segments.

hobbyfan

Doubtful that reviving The Impossibles would've worked in this context. Plus, NBC & H-B had revisited the concept two years earlier, by grafting the Impossibles' powers, with some extras, on to a certain basketball team, creating the ill-advised Super Globetrotters.

Why they chose not to use the Galaxy Trio, I don't know. I think maybe if they explored the Teen Force, further, we'd probably find some link between the two teams.

As for the FF, the 1978 revival was licensed to DePatie-Freleng, which Marvel purchased a couple of years later, and although the Thing returned to H-B the following year, that is a black hole on his TV resume.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Why they chose not to use the Galaxy Trio, I don't know. I think maybe if they explored the Teen Force, further, we'd probably find some link between the two teams.
I think the reason Galaxy Trio wasn't included was because of the following:
  1. Those cartoons were meant to be second banana to the main Birdman cartoon (similar to how Dino Boy was the middle segment on Space Ghost).
  2. Reruns of Space Ghost and The Herculoids in the late 1970's helped perked interest in them appearing in new episodes in the 1980's.

Last edited:

JosephH1998

Although they were committed to their fight against interplanetary evil, the reason why they didn't include The Fantastic Four (using the Alex Toth character designs) in "Space Stars" was mainly because they were the property of Marvel Comics at the time (which was hot property back in the early '80s), If they had otherwise gotten permission from them then that would've been an entirely different story.

Last edited:
When originally planned to be on NBC's 1980-81 Saturday morning schedule, Space Stars would have been set up this way:
* Space Ghost (segment 1 of 2)
* The Herculoids (segment 1 of 2)
* Teen Force
* Astro and the Space Mutts
* Space Ghost (segment 2 of 2)
* The Herculoids (segment 2 of 2)
* The Jetsons (8-minute fragments, divided into act 1, 2 and 3)
* Space Star Finale

Additionally, the "Space Science" bumpers - which helped viewers to identify the villain of the week on the Space Star Finale - were to be interspersed between each of these segments; although they were never shown on the final 1-hour version that aired on NBC in the 1981-82 season, they are there on the DVD set!

~Ben

JosephH1998

I assume they used Teen Force as a substitute for "The Galaxy Trio", but still I'm ticked off that they didn't include "The Fantastic Four" ('67 version) in "Space Stars" but I'm beginning to understand why (they were under the property of Marvel Comics which owned the comic book and the franchise outright, and they could've called in order to obtain permission). If they've included The Fantastic Four then it would've been a H-B co-production with Marvel Productions Ltd. (which also produced Spider Man & His Amazing Friends on the same network).

Last edited:

JosephH1998

Well as for the space theme, even though their home planet was on Earth, several episodes of The Fantastic Four ('67 version) had Ben, Sue, Johnny and Reed visiting space (same backdrop as the Space Ghost on "Space Ghost & Dino Boy", as well as The Galaxy Trio segments on Birdman). That's what made sense about having The Fantastic Four appear on "Space Stars" (But they needed to obtain permission from Marvel Comics first). To add to that, If The Fantastic Four was in there, then there would be five segments concurring with the four ("Teen Force", "Space Ghost", "Astro and the Space Mutts" and "The Herculoids"). Even though H-B revisited The Fantastic Four 2 years prior with "Fred and Barney Meet The Thing", but it didn't include any of the other members (Human Torch (Johnny Storm), Invisible Girl (Sue Storm) and Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards)). But I know The Fantastic Four (despite them coming from Earth) visited space in several adventures (several episodes of the 1967 H-B series goes to show it).

Last edited:

JosephH1998

"If you want to use The Fantastic Four in Space Stars, you'll have to obtain permission from Marvel Comics first." (Marvel's production output (Marvel Productions Ltd.) at the time was owned by none other than David H. DePatie (formerly of DFE Films))

Last edited:

VeiledHat

Hi, um, I'm Moxy, and, uh, uh, that's Flea!
Birdman, of course! He could've fought crime in outer space with Avenger, Birdboy, and Birdgirl. And there could've been a black character too, like how Black Vulcan was on the Super Friends.

VeiledHat

Hi, um, I'm Moxy, and, uh, uh, that's Flea!
OK, I realize why Birdman didn't have a Space Stars segment - Keith Andes retired in 1980. They would have had to cast someone else.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

This theory is.... interesting.

Zack Synder's Watchman adaption came out 12 years ago today.
on KCA, some of iCarly cast will appear there. Upcoming Paw Patrol Movie will be mentioned in KCA
Apparently I matter to people. That's sort of nice to know. Granted, I'd prefer more favorable opinions, but it's nice to know people care I exist, even if it's merely to wish I don't.
CNC
Here's my Ideal Disney XD schedule for next week. What do you think?

Featured Posts