SEGA is truly the Sony Pictures Animation of gaming...

Do you think that SEGA/Sonic Team even cares about the fandom?

• NO. They're worse than SONY. They're fat greedy corporate hogs whose only aim is to bleed us dry!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES. There's probably situations out of their control...

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

Yum

Since I was little, I was raised in a SEGA household, with the first 3 classic Sonic games. I caught glimpses of Aosth, and cringed at the sight of Sonic X on 4Kids, even though I liked 'Gotta Go Fast' and the character designs. Maybe it was the one-note characterization of Amy Rose, Chris or the fact that it was a bland looking anime in general...but my interest in Sonic crashed in 2006, once I saw the promotional material for Sonic 06; I LOATHED the realistic and detailed backgrounds and the slimmer, less round and more 'edgy' Sonic.

For awhile, I was on the Nintendo bandwagon with my friends, playing either Pokemon, New Super Mario Bros. DS, or Mario Kart DS. Once I got my own DSi in 2010, and a copy of Sonic Rush and LEGO Indiana Jones, ironically, it was the former I played most of! All the tics of the old Sonic that I knew and loved were still there, just in a new form: loop-de-loops, corkscrews, the robots with cute little animals, even the trippy half pipe special stage, it was all there, just in a new form, and I recognized it! And HAD FUN! Point is, Rush is the game that really got me interested in the Sonic franchise again.

But now, when I started to research the past games, I started to realize just how absolutely damaged and broken the franchise was as a whole. I learned about failed gimmicks like the GUN gameplay, and the swordfighting, and the Wii motion controls, and the hoverboards and werehogs, and such, even the human princess...and the negative reaction it brought on the fanbase.

As I continued to delve in further, I discovered more: nearly all these games have terribly ill-conceived storylines with plot holes so big, you could drive a truck through, elements of beastiality, forced drama and overly serious and overcomplicated tones, the ironically funny lines, coupled with little to NO character development and annoying dialogue.

It makes me wonder: does SEGA of Japan really care about the large fanbase in US/UK? I once read on TSSZ this article from the former QA employee from UK, Ben Andac, who said that Sonic Team is a relic from the past age that needs to dissolve; they're worse than talentless, they're bored, weary, & out of touch with what makes good games anymore. Further 'leaks' from 4chan released on Reddit seem to confirm this statement, that they have a pretty disorganized and slapdash way of developing games: wasting time in these boring meetings, writing down buzzwords and then never talking about them again, badmouthing other lesser employees, little to no communication, never paying any attention to whatever the foreign branches have to say, always disagreeing with them, planning out these cringy and irresponsible and reckless storylines as if they just don't give a hoot about the character they're making these games about, and it's clearly true, as Sonic ironically doesn't do well in Japan.

I'm not saying all of that I just listed is true, but if it is, something has to be done.

Because this theory/rumor can be considered true, considering the reception of the 2 games released last year, Mania and Forces. Iizuka stated that Forces had a lot of focus testing and market research while it was in production, while Mania had none at all, since it wasn't about what people thought about Mania. Mania, with a dedicated team of master fan game developers, outdid Forces in terms of level design, physics, graphics, music and more importantly controls, and from Iizuka's perspective, it was just a way to satisfy the 'core gamers', when in reality, it made fans out of the haters. Now Nakamura and his team are claiming to take what people liked about Mania and put that into their 3D games. Mania ended up being the better game while Forces had to hand out surveys on what people wanted out of SEGA. On SteamSpy, there was clear evidence that Mania had over 100,000+ sales where Forces had 30,000+. Yikes. And then, Takashi Iizuka dares to show his face at SXSW 2018 to discuss Sonic's future? RIGHT after he says that Sonic takes place on 2 DIFFERENT PLANETS???

Mania's design philosphy is to utilize the past and subvert expectations to create a gaming experience like no other, making new memories out of old, and honoring the past. Forces is just boost in a straight line with a build a bear gimmick. Bring the kiddies.

And now the Japan team dares to show their face to an audience they barely understand after scorning them??

From my perspective, it seems that the actual Sonic Team, they don't seem to care as much or put in enough effort into the their games as Nintendo does for Mario. I think that they only see Sonic as their next meal ticket, and us innocent children as walking piggy banks; their only intention is to exploit the long suffering Sonic fans for all the money they're worth, with as minimal effort as possible, and anyone that DOES care about the character is ultimately thrown under the bus. They're OPENLY AWARE of how much we in the US love Sonic, and through a well-known icon, can continue to make bank off of him by creating these ill concieved gimmicks, accompanying them with these cringey storylines which contradict everyone's idea of how Sonic even works, and more often than not, fail. I have a feeling, judging from Nakamura's tone from that interview with Eurogamer last year, that the main Sonic veterans in Japan were jealous that a mere downloadable title outdid their supposedly next-gen triple A release.

From my perspective SEGA seems to be the Flintheart Glomgold of games, always one step behind, trying to maximize profits by being cheaper, always losing to the ever-prepared, ever-calm Nintendo Scrooge McDuck. Always trying one way or another to outdo Nintendo in a furious attempt to outshine him, losing to his own incompetence.

No wait, scratch that. SEGA is the Sony Pictures Animation of gaming, looking to fleece its audience through pandering and what's trendy, never taking any risks, always desperate to fleece that one sucker in order to make a profit to justify its existence. That's why the Emoji Movie exists, and that's why Sonic Forces came out the way it did. And now, all both companies have to show for their efforts is little profit and an even more ravenous audience.

But then, that's my take on SEGA/Sonic Team. What do you think?

VHSTrader234

PM me to trade VHS tapes. KidsWB, CN, FoxBox
I see you failed to mention Sonic Lost World. I'm assuming you've never played it. If you liked Sonic Adventure or the much better Sonic Adventure 2 then you'd love Sonic Lost World. The only reason people hated Sonic Lost World was because of the stupid Sonic Color boost to win fan boy non-sense. They were sad there was no boost to win and that you could use spin dash like a real sonic game. Even the 2D sections of sonic lost world were a lot of fun.

Yum

I see you failed to mention Sonic Lost World. I'm assuming you've never played it. If you liked Sonic Adventure or the much better Sonic Adventure 2 then you'd love Sonic Lost World. The only reason people hated Sonic Lost World was because of the stupid Sonic Color boost to win fan boy non-sense. They were sad there was no boost to win and that you could use spin dash like a real sonic game. Even the 2D sections of sonic lost world were a lot of fun.

I know a lot of Sonic fans who would gladly disagree with that statement...I had the 3DS version, and it was more frustrating than it was fun...

VHSTrader234

PM me to trade VHS tapes. KidsWB, CN, FoxBox
I know a lot of Sonic fans who would gladly disagree with that statement...I had the 3DS version, and it was more frustrating than it was fun...

I agree some levels were hit or miss on the 3ds version but the controls were really good and some levels were really enjoyable. It was definitely a step in the right direction. You're not forced to run one direction in a grid like the past 4 sonic games before it.

TargetmasterJoe

This thread is amazing.
Pardon me, but this thread is amazing how?

In all seriousness, I'd say this thread was pretty venomous if it wasn't making a decent point: a lot of recent Sonic games (save for Mania) kind of leave a lot to be desired.

SEGA of Japan kind of does leave the impression that they're incompetent, but maybe part of their blundering is because they honestly don't want to anger anyone, but at the same time, they don't know how to move something like Sonic forward without getting everybody on the Internet going ballistic.

It all sounds like a double-edged sword situation...

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
At least Sega has the Yakuza series

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts