Sega CEO Says Company "Betrayed" Fans and Has Learned from Atlus

Latest News & Videos

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
I'm surprised there hasn't been a topic about this recently. As most are aware, Sega's reputation has not been stellar since they went third-party many years ago. What stands out from that time are the two failures of their most iconic character, Sonic, from the 2006 Sonic the Hedgehog game, and the 2014 Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric game. There have been other disappointments, but those games really made fans think about whether Sega really cared at all about quality.

From Siliconera, there are two articles about it. The first one talks about how they want to focus on quality, which IMHO should always be the top priority in any video game. The second one is a more recent quote from earlier this week. I know the quality focus should be plainly obvious, but unfortunately, companies do often forget the ways to building and maintaining success, often in favor of releasing a game early just to get it out in time for the holiday shopping season, just to get sales.

Zeether

HASSHA!!
Sep 4, 2010
Florida
I hope they are actually making a change for the better. I've been disappointed with them over the fact that Phantasy Star Online 2 is basically in purgatory in terms of a US release (although it is easy to just play the Japanese version now thanks to the translation) and barely any of their other franchises besides Sonic gets love.

I hope they can get on the right track, the 3D Classics and Valkyria Chronicles on Steam were great things they've done recently and I would like to see more like that. Maybe that HD Panzer Dragoon or Skies of Arcadia HD isn't far off? I would love to see Virtua Fighter get some love too, maybe via a Steam version of 5 Final Showdown.

Last edited:

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
In any case, "actions speak louder than words", as they say. "Betraying" the fans? One thing is certain. I have always felt that they're more recent games have been reflecting an attitude problem on the company's part; something that goes back at least to Sonic Heroes (the first multiplatform Sonic game). I always felt that that game was not Sonic Team (or Sega, for that matter) at their best, especially since it was clearly rushed out of development (and it shows), with (among other things):

-Team Rose forced to go through the same tutorial that can be accessed separately.
-The emblems unlocking a few lousy two player competition modes (and that's not a word I use lightly, at least when it comes to video games).

However, the biggest thing of all is what happens when you go through the pain of getting all "A" ranks, and completing Super Hard mode: absolutely nothing...except a generic "Thank you for playing" message. After which, it just becomes a time attack game. I think they wanted to give everyone SOME special treat (Knuckles Chaotix? Additional "teams"*? maybe? Who knows?), but literally didn't have time to do it. In other words, not only was it rushed out of development, it was (likely) unfinished as well.

Then there's "Shadow the Hedgehog". Did Sega honestly think people wanted a darker and edgier Sonic game, let alone one that has GUNS (with the "action select/confirm sound effect being a gunshot at that)? What were they thinking? I'm just glad it didn't get that "T" rating it was originally planned to get. That would have been the last straw. Sonic 2006? I'm told Sega fired its entire bug testing team...

Anyway, there are other examples this too, but I'll stop there. Suffice it to say, if they did "betray" game players, then that likely means they "betrayed" themselves as well...